You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Qatar (H) - Does it Matter?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Qatar (H) - Does it Matter?
    Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 5:13pm
I think we all agree that the Azeri result is critical for Kenny's continued tenure, but if he gets the 3 points there, how do people feel about the Qatar game? I see some saying he needs to win both.

I'm of the view that if we get the result we need vs Azerbaijan, then I couldn't care less about the result vs Qatar. For me it's a game to give lads, who have been coming over and not getting game time, a chance to stake a claim - I'd like to see the likes of Kelleher, Manning, N. Collins, Parrott, Mc Grath, Ogbene all start and that being the case, I don't think it would be fair to expect a result. I'd obviously still want one and hope for one, but it shouldn't be used as another stick to beat him with.

Anyway, let's go and beat the Azeri first.
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 7:17pm
It matters to the people who will decide whether he gets a new contract or not. Hill has already talked about the Qatar game when mentioning the end of year review.
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 7:21pm
Depends if he wins its only a Friendly and if it's a defeat he simply has to go like the Andorra Game.
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 7:55pm
I think it's still a game to take seriously & try to win, not least because another game in the win column looks good for us & particularly for Kenny, but also because Qatar are ranked ahead of us & are taking these games seriously in preparation for the World Cup. They're a very settled team (together all year 'round), will field their strongest XI, & will play to win.

Us treating it casually could get us run over. But we took it seriously in March & got a draw.

I would be looking for Kelleher, N.Collins & Manning to start. Hopefully Browne & Molumby return, if so they'd start too.
Keep Duffy, Egan, Doherty & Cullen in.
Use Connolly & Robinson if they're up for it, if not then Idah & Parrott/Ogbene.

AC/TP/CO---CR/AI
                  Browne
Manning Cullen Molumby Doherty
          Egan Duffy N.Collins
                 Kelleher

(I think we'll need McGrath vs AZR)
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 7:57pm
We weren't able to go to Ireland games for almost 2 years. They all matter 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

I think it's still a game to take seriously & try to win, not least because another game in the win column looks good for us & particularly for Kenny, but also because Qatar are ranked ahead of us & are taking these games seriously in preparation for the World Cup. They're a very settled team (together all year 'round), will field their strongest XI, & will play to win.

Us treating it casually could get us run over. But we took it seriously in March & got a draw.

I would be looking for Kelleher, N.Collins & Manning to start. Hopefully Browne & Molumby return, if so they'd start too.
Keep Duffy, Egan, Doherty & Cullen in.
Use Connolly & Robinson if they're up for it, if not then Idah & Parrott/Ogbene.

AC/TP/CO---CR/AI
                  Browne
Manning Cullen Molumby Doherty
          Egan Duffy N.Collins
                 Kelleher

(I think we'll need McGrath vs AZR)

AZR is the big one realistically as a win against them potentially gives us a platform to go on and try and nick 3rd in the group over Luxembourg. Realistically the top 2 teams will stay the top 2 now so hopefully we can secure 4th on Saturday at least (a win does that) and try and play for 3rd. 

Qatar is important too as we need to start winning football matches. They are no bad side of course but for Kenny to stand any chance we need to win some football matches.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 5:47am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

fixed.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 11:55am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

fixed.

👍
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
cathalb96 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cathalb96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 1:43pm
Any spare tickets? Forgot about the presale and don’t fancy paying €40 for a pair
Cathal Bourke
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic