You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Over 30 - Any future?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

[QUOTE=Mr Brick]

Kenny had a good night in Portugal but then quickly reverted to kind with the changes for Azerbaijan. He either disrespected the opposition or simply stuffed up. More likely both. There's more tactical nous in the AUL.

I'd have thought it was more lessons learned from the Luxembourg game. He HAD to make changes, in hindsight, some of those changes were probably the wrong ones.

[/QUOTE
I would agree, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. If some of the more experienced lads in the team e.g. Coleman/Doherty had put the ball in the net early on]then maybe we'd be having a different conversation. 

Idah has 6 goals in 37 senior games, Parrott 4 in 43, Connolly 6 in 49 - Together they have 2 goals combined in 25 internationals (both from Parrott vs Andorra). Long (17 in 88 internationals) was ruled out with Covid, Robinson (1 in 20) wasnt fit to start. You could make an argument that maybe Collins (2 in 13), Hogan (0 in 8) or Maguire (1 in 12) should have been involved, but it would hardly be a compelling one. We have a group of lads learning on the job, I dont see that as Kenny's fault - he is doing his best with a squad devoid of lads who can put the ball in the net. That appeared to me to be the main problem vs the Azeri.
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

[QUOTE=Mr Brick]

Kenny had a good night in Portugal but then quickly reverted to kind with the changes for Azerbaijan. He either disrespected the opposition or simply stuffed up. More likely both. There's more tactical nous in the AUL.

I'd have thought it was more lessons learned from the Luxembourg game. He HAD to make changes, in hindsight, some of those changes were probably the wrong ones.

[/QUOTE
I would agree, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. If some of the more experienced lads in the team e.g. Coleman/Doherty had put the ball in the net early on]then maybe we'd be having a different conversation. 

Idah has 6 goals in 37 senior games, Parrott 4 in 43, Connolly 6 in 49 - Together they have 2 goals combined in 25 internationals (both from Parrott vs Andorra). Long (17 in 88 internationals) was ruled out with Covid, Robinson (1 in 20) wasnt fit to start. You could make an argument that maybe Collins (2 in 13), Hogan (0 in 8) or Maguire (1 in 12) should have been involved, but it would hardly be a compelling one. We have a group of lads learning on the job, I dont see that as Kenny's fault - he is doing his best with a squad devoid of lads who can put the ball in the net. That appeared to me to be the main problem vs the Azeri.

The counter argument to this of course is that, if you have a squad that is short on goalscoring threats, the first thing you must absolutely do is make yourself as hard as possible to score against.

One of the great contradictions of the Kenny era has been our tendancy to leave ourselves wide open at the back as a result of trying to play more attacking, possession based football during a period when we are not even close to having the quality of attacking players needed to give this strategy a chance of paying off at the other end of the field.

We don't have quality creative midfielders and we don't have goalscoring forwards. Above any time in our recent history this was not the time to be switching to a more open style of play.

Edited by You Tell Me - 14 Sep 2021 at 2:28pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

[QUOTE=Mr Brick]

[/QUOTE

The counter argument to this of course is that, if you have a squad that is short on goalscoring threats, the first thing you must absolutely do is make yourself as hard as possible to score against.

One of the great contradictions of the Kenny era has been our tendancy to leave ourselves wide open at the back as a result of trying to play more attacking, possession based football during a period when we are not even close to having the quality of attacking players needed to give this strategy a chance of paying off at the other end of the field.

We don't have quality creative midfielders and we don't have goalscoring forwards. Above any time in our recent history this was not the time to be switching to a more open style of play.

Again, I'd agree with some of that, but the xG stats were something like 2.25 vs 0.25 against Azerbaijan, so we didnt really cough up many chances and its hardly Kenny's fault that his most experienced defender didnt close his man down. That wasnt great Azerbaijan play or us being too open at the back, there were plenty of defenders around, they just didnt do their job and it was a great strike, a sucker punch if you will.

I'm also not sure what you are suggesting he should do. I agree absolutely we have a paucity of creative players and goalscorers in the squad, but what are you advocating, I mean we are already playing 5 at the back. As far as I can see he is trying to get us to play football and that has to be the way forward. We were going nowhere since Trappatoni tbh, football has moved on and the put em under pressure and long ball approach isnt going to see us qualifying for major tournaments. 

He hasnt picked the easy solution, but if we are to see any real progress then these are steps that we absolutely have to take to get back in the mix imo. Results may be lagging behind performances and may continue to do so until the young lads develop a little more, but its certainly more pleasing (to me at least) on the eye. 

Hung for a sheep, hung for a lamb, I'd prefer to die trying! Btw I'm not 100% sold on Kenny, but I see chinks of light and progress however slow. He needs a couple of positive results over the next 3 competitive games for me to back offering him a new contract, but I do fervently hope he gets them, otherwise we are again back to square one and frankly some of the alternatives that have been suggested arent exactly inspiring. Michael O'Neill got time up North and it paid off for them, I just dont see a logical next step if we get rid of Kenny, so I'm hoping we dont have to go down that road.
Idah Dream!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 4:05pm
Ultimately I'm suggesting that we need to sacrifice a progressive style of play in favour of results at least in the short term. Longer term, if and when we have a better team, we can go back to being more expansive, but we're probably talking a couple of campaigns away at least before we have the players to do that, if they do indeed come through.

Despite our change in style our few goals that we do score are still coming predominantly from crosses and set pieces, so we're not really gaining anything with the passing game, eventually we revert to playing it down the channels and getting crosses in anyway, usually once we go behind in games. 

Personally I would want us to pull the plug on playing out from the back for now, we just don't have the players for it yet (other than the goalkeepers and Omobamidele). That doesn't mean we need to go hoofing it long to James Collins either, there is a middle ground that involves playing the ball forward with intent but also making sure our defence is well protected also.

I know it's not what a lot of supporters want to see and it's not Kenny's natural style, but we need to win a few games badly and we so have the players to be more effective playing that way.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 4:47pm
I appreciate that response and it's an entirely valid opinion, perhaps Kenny should have adopted a more pragmatic approach from the outset, but we are where we are now, this campaign is effectively over and I dont see the point in reverting to type now.

My view is that if we aspire to greater things then it is important that we instill the philosophy now. I dont believe that we can just suddenly adopt a new style when we decide the players are ready for it. Granted there are lads in this squad who probably don't suit the passing it out from the back approach, notably Duffy, but Brighton seem to be able to make that work currently. You cant tell me that Coleman at Everton and Doherty at Spurs arent encouraged to do just that, week in, week out. Egan is perfectly capable with the ball at his feet and I dont see much of Anderlecht, but I would assume they play a relatively progressive passing game, so it shouldnt be beyond Cullen either. If we want our young lads to develop and play at PL level, then this is the way the game is going imo. Sure there are a few teams like Burnley who manage to survive in the top flight playing pragmatic football, but do we really want to be the Burnley of international football?

Maybe youre right, maybe Kenny has tried to do things too quickly and if so, he'll likely pay the price, but I hope he can get the couple of positive results that he needs to stay on and continue the "process" :) We have a lot of promising young players coming through, if we can instill a philosophy right up through the age groups then maybe we can start to both get results and play something other than "puke" football, which frankly is what it has been over the last 10 years. I went to every home game for 20 plus years, but I gave up towards the end of the Trappatoni regime and frankly I havent been tempted back since, bar the odd freebie. If Kenny gets the nod (and I fully accept he now needs results to do so), I'll be back, because first and foremost I love the game - I suspect I am not alone in this.
Idah Dream!
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 4:49pm

Despite our change in style our few goals that we do score are still coming predominantly from crosses and set pieces, so we're not really gaining anything with the passing game, eventually we revert to playing it down the channels and getting crosses in anyway, usually once we go behind in games. 

I'd disagree with this.
We're gaining a lot more possession.  That's not nothing as while we may not be great with the ball, it's better we have it than not.

We had sub 50% posession in that 1-0 over Georgia under Mick.
We had 10% more of the ball in the 1-1 v Azerbaijan.
Now clearly the former was a better result, but I believe that Azerbaijan result was an outlier and the stats back that.
I'd much rather how we are playing now than watching teams like Georgia come to our ground and dominate the ball, while we hoof it away time after time.

So yes, we are gaining from it and we will only gain more as our playing pool increases.
It's a painful change but the alternative is far worse.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 5:22pm

Ultimately I'm suggesting that we need to sacrifice a progressive style of play in favour of results at least in the short term. Longer term, if and when we have a better team, we can go back to being more expansive, but we're probably talking a couple of campaigns away at least before we have the players to do that, if they do indeed come through.

Personally I would want us to pull the plug on playing out from the back for now, we just don't have the players for it yet (other than the goalkeepers and Omobamidele). That doesn't mean we need to go hoofing it long to James Collins either, there is a middle ground that involves playing the ball forward with intent but also making sure our defence is well protected also.

I know it's not what a lot of supporters want to see and it's not Kenny's natural style, but we need to win a few games badly and we so have the players to be more effective playing that way.

We are predominantly scoring from crosses because our strikers are not good enough to covert the chances being made. 

Playing a more simple style of play was not really getting us anywhere. We came third under Mick and brought it to the final game, but given Gibraltar were a whipping boy for everyone, the only team we really finished above was Georgia and they will be sick because they were at least even with us in the landsdowne game and in Georgia they should have beaten us only for bad finishing. Even though we got results against Denmark and Swiss, we were clearly second best in those games and they were not enjoyable to watch. The performances under Mick were really nothing to write home about and we kind of got above what our performances merited vs. under Kenny, I would say we are on less points than our performances have merited... 

Gibraltar away: We were poison against one of the worst teams in qualifying would would be far below Az and Lux. We basically got out of jail thanks to a Randolph save as well. 

Georgia Home: We got the win from great free kick, but we were also very poor, Georgia will be disappointed to lose the game, randolph pulled off at least one great save. We had 14 shots on goal, 2 on target, they had 13 shots on goal, 2 on target. 51% possession. They had more passes than us. We got the win but you won't get them all the time and a draw would be been the more fair result We got out of jail. 

Denmark away: They dominated us. They should have been home and dry. We got a goal from a free kick and nearly won it at the end. Great to get a result but Denmark on another day would have finished us off. We were by far the 2nd best team.

Swiss home: They were by far superior team. We got lucky that McClean worked had and got a cross in that got a lucky deflection and onto McGoldrick's head to rescue the point. 

Georgia away: They were the better team, wasteful in the final third and we were lucky to get out with 1 point.

Switzerland away: They completely dominated us, we couldn't get a foot on the ball. Easy win for them.

Gibraltar home: We were far better team but poor in front of goal.

Denmark home: Probably our best performance under Mick, especially second half but you felt Denmark were always in control. 

Edited by t_rAndy - 14 Sep 2021 at 5:23pm
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 5:44pm

But the style of play has had very little to do with our results, we're not shipping goals by being caught in possession, by playing it out from the back or on the break etc. We're still defensively sound enough ..and if anything, we are creating more chances on goal than previously with this approach. The problem is we're still not finding the back of the net.

If you're to take the Azerbaijan game for example, we were grand right up until HT when we conceded against the run of play. We'd created 6 decent attempts on goal before that and should have put away at least 1 of those if not for very poor finishing.

When they scored the narrative of the game changed, they got behind the ball in numbers and got very compact at the back. They made it very hard for us to break down and they very effectively killed off our game plan of trying to play it into the box. We had to change our plan accordingly to deal with that. We played cross after cross into the box and put them under pressure until they folded ..and it eventually worked.

The problem on the night though was that we conceded a poor goal and then let them dictate the game.

Had we not conceded and let them sit back, we stay in possession and control of the game. It would have been a lot more open and we'd have gotten more chances like we did in the first half prior to conceding. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 4:17pm
Team hereunder, all 30+ made up of lads who have been in and around the squad over the last 18 months and their respective ages come the end of 2021. Who has a future, bearing in mind that they will be 2 to 3 years older when the Euro Finals kick off in June 2024? Who should we dispense with prior to the NL campaign?

RANDOLPH         34           WEST HAM                              

COLEMAN           33           EVERTON

MC CLEAN           32           WIGAN

K. LONG               31           BURNLEY

CLARK                  32           NEWCASTLE

STEVENS             31           SHEFF UTD                              

MC CARTHY        31           CELTIC

ARTER                   32           CHARLTON                             

S. LONG               34           SOUTHAMPTON

HOURIHANE       30           SHEFF UTD

J. COLLINS           31           CARDIFF

There's also a slew of lads who turn 30 in January 2022 - Duffy, Doherty, Brady and Hendrick, but given they will be just 32 in June 2024, they should all be fine, age wise at least. Christie and Horgan are both 29 also.

Idah Dream!
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 4:32pm
I would think that Randolph, Clark and Kevin Long might be the ones that will have the most difficulty breaking in on a consistent basis. There are new alternatives that we can grow with in this positions. 

I suspect the ball is in James McCarthy’s court, and is he is ready and available he is in a position where we are fairly light. Arter has show some real character by being an ever present over the past 6 months, even though he has played for a few moments of the past 7 games. But it’s either there.

Collins and Long depend on how our young strikers go.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 4:55pm

RANDOLPH         34           WEST HAM - he's done with Ireland                              

COLEMAN           33           EVERTON - still has a lot to offer

MC CLEAN           32           WIGAN - as above

K. LONG               31           BURNLEY - he's done

CLARK                  32           NEWCASTLE - he's done bar injury issues

STEVENS             31           SHEFF UTD - still has something to offer                             

MC CARTHY        31           CELTIC - he's done

ARTER                   32           CHARLTON - this one is a head scratcher.                   

S. LONG               34           SOUTHAMPTON - he's done

HOURIHANE       30           SHEFF UTD - has something to offer

J. COLLINS           31           CARDIFF - has something to offer

Edited by McG - 14 Oct 2021 at 4:55pm
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 11:08am

Team hereunder, all 30+ made up of lads who have been in and around the squad over the last 18 months and their respective ages come the end of 2021. Who has a future, bearing in mind that they will be 2 to 3 years older when the Euro Finals kick off in June 2024? Who should we dispense with prior to the NL campaign?

RANDOLPH         34           WEST HAM                              

COLEMAN           33           EVERTON

MC CLEAN           32           WIGAN

K. LONG               31           BURNLEY

CLARK                  32           NEWCASTLE

STEVENS             31           SHEFF UTD                              

MC CARTHY        31           CELTIC

ARTER                   32           CHARLTON                             

S. LONG               34           SOUTHAMPTON

HOURIHANE       30           SHEFF UTD

J. COLLINS           31           CARDIFF

There's also a slew of lads who turn 30 in January 2022 - Duffy, Doherty, Brady and Hendrick, but given they will be just 32 in June 2024, they should all be fine, age wise at least. Christie and Horgan are both 29 also.

Randolph is a great servant but we are fine keeper wise. Coleman, McClean, Stevens, Clark(if we have injuries in that position), McCarthy and Hourihane are all good enough to be in our squad. The rest for me is a no. I would rather Obafemi or even Keane be given a chance instead of Collins because he is not up to it
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 11:59am
Posts moved from the other thread. Lads do a quick search, the function is at the top of the page or even a google search before starting a thread particularly when you yourself started an identical one a month Embarrassed

Edited by Sham157 - 15 Oct 2021 at 12:04pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

RANDOLPH         34           WEST HAM - he's done with Ireland                              

COLEMAN           33           EVERTON - still has a lot to offer

MC CLEAN           32           WIGAN - as above

K. LONG               31           BURNLEY - he's done

CLARK                  32           NEWCASTLE - he's done bar injury issues

STEVENS             31           SHEFF UTD - still has something to offer                             

MC CARTHY        31           CELTIC - he's done

ARTER                   32           CHARLTON - this one is a head scratcher.                   

S. LONG               34           SOUTHAMPTON - he's done

HOURIHANE       30           SHEFF UTD - has something to offer

J. COLLINS           31           CARDIFF - has something to offer

Randolph - Unless 2 of the 3 hotshots so to speak are injured no. 
Coleman - he decides when he finishes up undroppable.
Mcclean - near future yes by 2023/24 I would barely have him making the squad. 
Long - No down the pecking order
Clark- No bar a few injuries good backup
Stevens - so poor under Kenny until Tuesday. If he performs then yes nailed on.
McCarthy - no needs to concentrate on club career now. 
Arter - Kenny married to him don't know why. Think Doyle Hayes or Taylor should have got a look in for the friendly at his expense. 
Long - Bar injuries no. A top pro/character even for the younger players to have around the training ground if injuries happen.
Hourihane - By 23/24 no short term yes
Collins - No not it. Prefer to see Keane given a go
Duffy - See Coleman stalwart next captain after him in
Doherty - Yes of course
Egan - Yes of course
Brady - See McCarthy. Needs to worry about his club now and we need to move on.
Hendrick - Yes better recently one CM playing PL football.
Christie - A big no. very limited player. McNamara Kioso and Ebosele options all 22yo and under improving with high potential ceilings.  All look tailor made for wing back as well. 
That's all the lads born 1992 or before (turning 30) that I can think of.

Edited by kevin100 - 15 Oct 2021 at 3:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic