Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your Starting 11 if everyone is fit.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Crazy stuff playing that amount of players out of position.  Recipe for disaster. 

In fairness, it won't be played that way because I will never have the Ireland job to implement it!
Sponsored Links

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 8:11pm
Surprising to see so many teams that don't feature O'Shea, although probably also goes to show the strength and depth we're building in that position. Duffy, Egan, O'Shea, Omobamidele and Collins are all good options.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Crazy stuff playing that amount of players out of position.  Recipe for disaster. 

In fairness, it won't be played that way because I will never have the Ireland job to implement it!

Bizarre logic.  Sure why not stick Bazunu in midfield so as he is a better passer of the ball than Hendrick and Kelleher up front.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 8:31pm
                         Bazunu
             Duffy      Egan      O'Shea
  Coleman     Cullen    Hendrick    Doherty
                           Knight 
                      Idah    Robinson 
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 8:33pm
It's very difficult to select our strongest 11 right now as there has been so many disruptions with injuries and covid, while so many young players have pushed out senior players who were previously considered first choice.

I think Kenny also doesn't know his best eleven - even whencthe majority of players are fit. I hope that next month's friendly vs Qatar provides us with an opportunity to get Jason Knight back into the team while Gavin Kilkenny and Will Smallbone could be genuine options by then too.

This is another reason why another manager would struggle to take over right now - this crop of Ireland players needs a good 6-18 months to develop, both at club and international level.

This would be my preferred eleven at the moment (ignoring O'Sheas injury):

Bazunu 
Coleman O'Shea Duffy Omobamidele Doherty
                  Knight Cullen Hendrick
                       Robinson Idah

I think my own preference will be very different by January depending on how certain players get on with injuries, game time, transfers etc. You could have James McCarthy (unlikely), Obafemi, Mark Travers, Coventry/Smallbone/Kilkenny vying for a place in the first XI by then.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Bazunu
                           Knight 
                      Idah    Robinson 

Was just about to post this. This would be my pick too. I have a soft spot for McCarthy too if he can pick things up at club level but not sure who I would drop him for. Connolly is behind Idah and Robinson but a run could put him back into contention. Things are well poised for Omobamidele to kick on with O'Shea injured.

Overall, however, I agree with that at present. 
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Bazunu
                           Knight 
                      Idah    Robinson 

Was just about to post this. This would be my pick too. I have a soft spot for McCarthy too if he can pick things up at club level but not sure who I would drop him for. Connolly is behind Idah and Robinson but a run could put him back into contention. Things are well poised for Omobamidele to kick on with O'Shea injured.

Overall, however, I agree with that at present. 

Think its time to move on from McCarthy. Wrong side of 30 and just so injury prone. Plus Cullen is showing to be a more than adequate replacement. You wouldnt be playing the pair of them at any point.

Omobamidele would get in if he was playing more regularly. Duffy, Egan and O'Shea are first team squad members at their clubs and as a pairing this year for Ireland have rarely put a foot wrong together. But its great to have that headache when O'Shea does return between himself Omobamidele and Collins.

Forward options are so and so, Idah is the only lad that can hold it up well. Even if Connolly is in form I'd persist with Idah. If Connolly is to be in contention with anyone its Robinson as they're more of a like for like.

Id really like to see Obafemi kick on at Swansea now and Coventry at Peterborough. I think they'd be great additions to the squad.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 9:43pm
We need a physical and capable midfielder to come from somewhere. McGrath looks like a natural in the number 10 role but we lack a number 8 type (sorry Jeff)

Taylor or Coventry at Peterborough? Molumby? Conor Ronan? 

You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

We need a physical and capable midfielder to come from somewhere. McGrath looks like a natural in the number 10 role but we lack a number 8 type (sorry Jeff)

Coventry maybe. Its definitely not Conor Ronan, he is a number 10.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 10:29pm

Johansson potentially.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by Frabhoy Frabhoy wrote:

Coventry maybe. Its definitely not Conor Ronan, he is a number 10.

Coventry needs to do something, anything, at club level first. Ronan needs to do it at a level higher than the Slovakian or Swiss league. Graham Carey is set for another European group campaign with CSKA Sofia and he's nowhere near the reckoning.
the4thofficial View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the4thofficial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 10:51pm
Bazunu

Coleman O Shea Duffy Egan Doherty

Cullen , The young boy from Norwich ( a bit like the days when McGrath played centre mid for us) 
Knight 
Idah Parrott

Five subs
Stevens (covers all defence) 
McCarthy (would be a great man to bring on to steady the ship if we are on track for a decent result)
McGrath (looks a clever player from what I have seen)
Robinson (seems to make more of an impact off bench) 
Connolly. (pace from bench might be more effective against a tiring defence) 

Thank you for your service but we got to move on now I think  (bar major injury crisis)
Horgan
McClean
Browne
Randolph
Hendrick
O Dowda
Brady
Hourihane
Christie
Clark
Long

Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 11:23pm
I don’t think parrott should be anywhere near that squad. Can’t see him becoming a top tier player, I’d be far more excited about Evan Ferguson. I think he will be starting for us in the next two years. 

…………. Bazunu

………. Omodamibele — Duffy — Egan

Coleman-Cullen Knight -Doherty 

Mcgrath

Robinson.      Connolly

Edited by Citizen - 09 Sep 2021 at 11:24pm
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 11:48pm
Bazunu
Omobamidele Duffy Egan
Coleman Cullen Knight Doherty
Robinson Idah Connolly

I'm not convinced by Mcgrath honesty don't see him as a player with a potential for a top league. Not sure about Robinson or especially Connolly in that regard either but they are our best option at the moment for pace on the wings. I like Parrott but think he still had some developing to do.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 12:33am

Bizarre logic.  Sure why not stick Bazunu in midfield so as he is a better passer of the ball than Hendrick and Kelleher up front.  

My logic is simply that I won't be the Irish manager, and as a result I have a little bit of leeway in that my selection is meaningless. It just a bit of fun.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic