You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zack Elbouzedi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Nice to see him doing ok for himself but the standard of the league has to be taken into account. Playing in the Swedish league he would probably need to standout at group stage level in Europe to justify an Ireland call up.

Nonsense. Its a very good standard and good enough that there are over a dozen International players in his team including Lustig and Larsson who were both still playing for Sweden at both World Cup 2018 and Euro 2020 while at AIK. Sweden always have a handful of domestic players in their squad. If its good enough for them, a team that regularly qualify for tournaments ahead of us, then their league is certainly a good enough standard for Elbouzedi to play for us while playing there.

Its certainly better than League One / SPL where a lot of our players are playing at the minute.

It's not nonsense, just reality. Resorting to Lustig and Larsson pretty much proves the point, two lads in their mid 30s on the wind down at the end of their careers. That's like saying we should call up League 2 players because Glenn Whelan plays for Bristol Rovers now. 

There are very few Swedish based players in the Sweden squad and the only one with any significant number of caps is Martin Olsson, another 30 something on the wind down after a career abroad. It's just not a good standard there at all, but it's a decent place for a struggling EFL player like Elbouzedi to go and find his level all the same. Well done to him for that, but it has no relevance to the Irish senior squad at all.

Edited by You Tell Me - 30 Nov 2021 at 11:28pm
Sponsored Links

IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 10:29am
It’s kind of funny how when an Irish player is linked to the MLS it’s apparently their career over and it’s terrible. Like Byrne recently, and he ended up in the far worse LoI. 

Yet they go to Sweden and suddenly it’s a great league and standard. Completely ignoring several players have gone from the top of the Swedish league to MLS and been complete crap. 

It still has relevance to the Irish set up though as it exactly the standard we’re shopping in. There are several League One players in the side, performing at a fairly poor standard league is all that’s required these days. 
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 10:34am
Originally posted by IrishCanadian IrishCanadian wrote:

It’s kind of funny how when an Irish player is linked to the MLS it’s apparently their career over and it’s terrible. Like Byrne recently, and he ended up in the far worse LoI. 

Yet they go to Sweden and suddenly it’s a great league and standard. Completely ignoring several players have gone from the top of the Swedish league to MLS and been complete crap. 

It still has relevance to the Irish set up though as it exactly the standard we’re shopping in. There are several League One players in the side, performing at a fairly poor standard league is all that’s required these days. 

Elbouzedi has gone to Sweden and done well. Maybe if he had gone to the MLS and done well your point would stand up to scrutiny. But he hasn't and neither has Jack Byrne. 
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 4:07pm
AIK finished 2nd on GD this afternoon level on points with winners Malmo.

They won 4-2 today having come back from 0-2 down while Malmo drew 0-0 at home.

The real decider was the 1-0 loss to Malmo a couple weeks ago.

Would have been nice to see Elbouzedi pick up a winners medal and get into the Champions League qualifiers next season but it wasn't to be.

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 11:23am
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 12:52pm
Good article and nice to see him doing well. Would be great if AIK made the group stages in one of the Europa competitions next year to see how he goes at a higher level. It's a shame they didn't win the domestic league as that would have made group stage European football much more likely.

Maybe if he continues performing for AIK he might get a move to a stronger league.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2022 at 6:06pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 9:03pm
Unused sub for AIK today as they progressed past Vorskla Poltava in the Conference League.
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 9:09pm
I really enjoyed the SK u21 team from a few years back but honestly never really rated this lad. Admire him for not sticking to the easy option and a less travelled path for football though.

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 10:00pm
Has been taking a fair amount of stick from the AIK fans for his performances this season. Been in and out of the team through the year, sometimes starting but other times a sub. Had a good first season but seems to be regressing back towards the poorer form he showed in the English lower leagues now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic