You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Targets for 60 Irish players for 2021-22 Season
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Targets for 60 Irish players for 2021-22 Season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I think Molumby has potential as both a box to box and a holding midfielder. What we know doesn't work is playing him in a more advanced midfield position tucked in behind the forwards like Preston tried. It didn't suit him at all, his game is about carrying the ball forward from deeper positions.

Molumby doesn't contribute to assists or goals. Every time I've watched him I found he lacks composure in the final third. He also tends to lack positional sense and leave gaps in the midfield.

Where he looks very good is in the tackle, his energy and carrying the ball forward from deep. His passing forward from the back seems to be good too. He needs to lock down his position now.

The fact that he couldn't lock down a position at an average Preston midfield is a worry. As an attacking midfielder, box to box midfielder or holding midfielder.

Pretty much it. He played for Millwall in that position and the position but also the club suited him. I generally got disagreed with on here for saying he’d have been better served doing the extra year at Millwall when most were saying he was ready for Brighton. If he did go back to Millwall it might be a different conversation now. 

He would play regularly for plenty Championship clubs next season id have no doubt I wouldn’t knock him too much for Preston bit of a basket case in the 2nd half of last season were Preston they got a good young winger from Everton on loan with Molumby who similarly didn’t get much of a look in. 

Who’s to say he won’t get a run at Brighton especially if they sell Bissouma. 

Edited by kevin100 - 18 Jun 2021 at 9:18pm
Sponsored Links

Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 10:57pm
Really interesting post. Agree with the majority of it. I would like to see the midfielders find their level and get games under their belt in particular. Molumby has potential but is a bit headless. Needs more discipline which regular football would give him. Knight looks like he could be a stalwart and goal threat in a few years. Cullen I like and he seems to be someone who has good ability on the ball. Wing back wise Doherty needs to do more but McClean's recent performance could keep Steven's out of the team. Idah needs a loan move. Connolly needs to get his head straight and he will be a top player. Keepers look good- prefer Kelleher over Banzu but Randolph should retain his spot for now. O'Shea and Egan will hopefully form the solid basis of a back 3 with one other. Great first post though fair play.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 8:27am
Excellent post and thread.  I agree with a lot of what people are saying about different players. For me the other big think is I hope we get better luck with injuries next season. Last season was a really unlucky one (injury wise) for a lot of our players.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 12:32pm
Main target for every player for this season should just be regular first team football, regardless of the level. I'll be the first to criticize Hourihane for his performances but at least he went out and got first team football at a lower level instead of sitting on the bench.

It was very evident from our international windows that the players weren't fit enough. It's not much good saying you're a PL footballer when you barely feature. We'll see much better performances if all our players are getting regular game time, even at Championship level.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Main target for every player for this season should just be regular first team football, regardless of the level. 

100%. We cant have a repeat of last season which started brightly only for a number of key players to fall out of first teams, and match day squads. The moves for Duffy, Doherty, Hendrick and Arter not working out was exceptionally disappointing, as those were moves that should have progressed these players. The loan deals for Parrott, Long and Molumby were, for the most part, poor. Travers' loan deal getting cut was unhelpful. Enda Stevens' being at one of the poorest PL teams since 1992 was regrettable. Kelleher's injury probably has stunted his growth a little.

Then there are lads like McCarthy and Brady who now need other clubs to take them on. I expect there will be suitors, but they would be better off in the Championship or SPL playing weekly, than bench warming in the PL. Hourihane probably needs a move too, as I suspect Villa will have moved on from him. And if he is one of Kenny's preferred players that becomes all the more pressing. Ditto Horgan, who seems to have the bit between his teeth in the Green. I'd rather him do it from the Championship than League 1. Collins has got a move to Cardiff, but ostensibly he will either be working in co-ordination or competition with Moore. If in competition, that means Collins is likely to start the season off the bench.

Next season could also be defining for Coleman. With luck, whoever takes over at Everton will see him as integral. Of course, it could go another way if a new manager comes in with evolution on his mind, at which point Coleman might be seen as more of a leader off the pitch, which won't help our cause.

Then there are the clutch of young players like Omobamidele, Collins, O'Shea who had decent and promising seasons last term (even with Collins having an injury). They need to build on that, and hopefully they will. Obviously with Norwich promoted, and Burnley circling, the first two may well be PL bound which will be welcome.

I also think depending on how the season starts, in addition to the 60 the GS has discussed, the likes of Scott Hogan, Glenn Rea, Aiden McGeady ought to be looked at. Looking at the Euros, age and lack of favour at club level isn't hurting players, so that shouldn't be too much of a bar either.
smart man View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Not so.......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smart man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 2:36pm
Interesting. Lee O Connor has to make the breakthrough at Parkhead. He seems to have been around forever.
alive and kicking
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 4:53pm
Great to see Gavin Bazunu get a loan move to Portsmouth. Should be of huge benefit to him.

If he is playing regular 1st team football in August / early Sept, it might be enough to keep him in the Irish team ahead of Randolph and Kellher.
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 4:10pm
Jayson Molumby and Aaron Connolly have been tipped to leave Brighton on loan for the coming season. Brighton U18 coach Mark Beard said that he expected the pair to seek first team football elsewhere if none is available at Brighton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic