Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro 2020 Group B BEL, DEN, FIN, RUS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

I'd bad luck meeting sh*thead Danish fans every time we played them the past few years which added to my dislike of them, plus I thought they just didn't play a much better brand of football than us to be going on about how sh*te we were (I've always liked Kasper Schmeichel mind you). But that has 100% changed with this side, they played sensational stuff last night in fairness, really high pace stuff. I dunno how much their style is to do with the circumstances around Eriksen and a "go for it" attitude or whether that's the direction with the current coach? 

Will 100% be cheering for them against the Welsh. Familiarity definitely breeds contempt with them LOL

I got on with all the Danes I met in Copenhagen, maybe you were you just bit of a c**t?
Sponsored Links

notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

I'd bad luck meeting sh*thead Danish fans every time we played them the past few years which added to my dislike of them, plus I thought they just didn't play a much better brand of football than us to be going on about how sh*te we were (I've always liked Kasper Schmeichel mind you). But that has 100% changed with this side, they played sensational stuff last night in fairness, really high pace stuff. I dunno how much their style is to do with the circumstances around Eriksen and a "go for it" attitude or whether that's the direction with the current coach? 

Will 100% be cheering for them against the Welsh. Familiarity definitely breeds contempt with them LOL

I got on with all the Danes I met in Copenhagen, maybe you were you just bit of a c**t?

Confused I said I'd bad luck with ones I met, though in fairness none of them came up and suggested I was a **** without any prior interactions Confused 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 11:18pm
Well if you had bad luck EVERY time we met I would be of the assumption that you were the problem.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 11:33pm

Well if you had bad luck EVERY time we met I would be of the assumption that you were the problem.

If we draw five games out of the last six then I'd suggest the ONE time we got spanked by them was an aberration and their arrogance is severely misplaced.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

If we draw five games out of the last six then I'd suggest the ONE time we got spanked by them was an aberration and their arrogance is severely misplaced.

To be fair, they're still a much better side than us irrespective of the amount of draws we had. We were over the moon when we got them in the 2017 playoff draw as we over estimated ourselves and underestimated them. I certainly underestimated them anyway. They really should've beaten us in Copenhagen too.

I thought at the time that they were just slightly better than us and we had a decent chance against them but teams like Denmark and Switzerland who qualify more often than we do are comfortably stronger than us.  

Edited by irishmufc - 23 Jun 2021 at 9:27am
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 9:51am
lads holding grudges against other countries for the most flippant and trivial reasons is comical 😀😀😀

I think the average age of many of the posters on here at times is close to 15 judging by some of the posts. 

A Slovakian lad didn’t thank me when I held the door open for them in 2007 so I hope they lose tonight 😀😀😀
AKA pedantic kunt
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

lads holding grudges against other countries for the most flippant and trivial reasons is comical 😀😀😀

I think the average age of many of the posters on here at times is close to 15 judging by some of the posts. 

A Slovakian lad didn’t thank me when I held the door open for them in 2007 so I hope they lose tonight 😀😀😀

LOL
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 11:35am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

To be fair, they're still a much better side than us irrespective of the amount of draws we had. We were over the moon when we got them in the 2017 playoff draw as we over estimated ourselves and underestimated them. I certainly underestimated them anyway. They really should've beaten us in Copenhagen too.

I thought at the time that they were just slightly better than us and we had a decent chance against them but teams like Denmark and Switzerland who qualify more often than we do are comfortably stronger than us.  

In fairness, in 2017 it was justifiable to believe that Denmark were no more than marginally better than us, even with the likes of Eriksen in their team. Especially, strange as it might seem, as by the time we played them were were missing our captain, holding midfielder, and key striker. Between 2014-2017 we had a lot of decent results under our belt, and apart from the Belgium game in 2016 we never looked like we lacked for resilience. Also, Denmark had not qualified for anything since Euro 2012, so were dark horses in many respects.

Yes, the results speak to us being more even than we might look on paper, but we know that any shift in the equilibrium of the team, and the Danes have our number. The type of football we had to play in order to get the draws in 2018 and 2019 naturally came under criticism especially as we had something like three shots on target over the two games in 2018, and four corners. We defended with out lives. With MM we could hold it together, and hit them on the break, but that was to do with systems, rather than players.

The Danes have had the upper hand in every one of those games, and in some cases, overwhelmingly. But they cant seem to close it out, and that is undoubtedly part of the familiarity they have with us, and know how we can stifle them.

Edited by Het-field - 23 Jun 2021 at 11:36am
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

In fairness, in 2017 it was justifiable to believe that Denmark were no more than marginally better than us, even with the likes of Eriksen in their team. Especially, strange as it might seem, as by the time we played them were were missing our captain, holding midfielder, and key striker. Between 2014-2017 we had a lot of decent results under our belt, and apart from the Belgium game in 2016 we never looked like we lacked for resilience. Also, Denmark had not qualified for anything since Euro 2012, so were dark horses in many respects.

Yes, the results speak to us being more even than we might look on paper, but we know that any shift in the equilibrium of the team, and the Danes have our number. The type of football we had to play in order to get the draws in 2018 and 2019 naturally came under criticism especially as we had something like three shots on target over the two games in 2018, and four corners. We defended with out lives. With MM we could hold it together, and hit them on the break, but that was to do with systems, rather than players.

The Danes have had the upper hand in every one of those games, and in some cases, overwhelmingly. But they cant seem to close it out, and that is undoubtedly part of the familiarity they have with us, and know how we can stifle them.

Would agree with a lot of that and as for the bit in bold, I think with the way Kenny wants us to play, we've lost that defensive solidity that we had under previous managers. 

If we're going to come out of our shell and play a less direct style, we're going to concede more goals. I'm afraid we don't have the players to score the goals that would mitigate against this with our more exposed defence. 

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 1:37pm
Was watching Finland the other night, they never once played a long ball out from defence and tried to play out every time. Belgium were a lot better than them and therefore Finland barely got the ball into the oppositions final third the whole game. 
They didn't get a corner in the match. 

You won't see that type of football working that often when up against a better team. 

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 23 Jun 2021 at 1:37pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 1:56pm

Would agree with a lot of that and as for the bit in bold, I think with the way Kenny wants us to play, we've lost that defensive solidity that we had under previous managers. 

If we're going to come out of our shell and play a less direct style, we're going to concede more goals. I'm afraid we don't have the players to score the goals that would mitigate against this with our more exposed defence. 

And from what I can see from the feast of football coming from Europe and South America at the moment is that strong defence remains integral to staying competitive. This goes back to my view that we cant just keep playing the system we are, with the players we have and expect different results when some sort of eureka moment occurs. Like in McCarthy's first stint there has to be trial and error, and that will include a clutch of players who probably won't be involved after a certain point. With a traditional style of defensive system (in an Irish way) we potentially scrape a draw in Belgrade, and we at least take a slightly embarrassing 0-0 against Luxembourg. With this more open style we conceded four, and lost both.

RB makes an interesting point about Finland, and in Pukki they have a functional and seasoned striker. But its alright and fine knocking the ball around a bit in defence, or deep in midfield, but without the necessary incision you won't beat stout midfielder, or defenders, and as a result you are just trying to play football, and I'm not sold on the mentality of "at least we're trying". Especially if this trying just leads to more dour draws or defeats to teams like Luxembourg.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Was watching Finland the other night, they never once played a long ball out from defence and tried to play out every time. Belgium were a lot better than them and therefore Finland barely got the ball into the oppositions final third the whole game. 
They didn't get a corner in the match. 

You won't see that type of football working that often when up against a better team. 

Exactly. The quality will come through at some stage when you're playing against superior opposition. 

I know it was fookin rubbish to watch us play under MON/Trap/McCarthy (2nd stint) over the years but it was generally competitive, practical and effective meaning if we didn't win the game, we didn't lose it too often either. I appreciate their pragmatic approach even more given where we are at the moment.  

I felt a bit optimistic after our solid performance in the Hungary friendly but watching these euros shows how poor we really are. I couldn't see us beating any side at these euros at the moment under Kenny's style if truth be told. 

I think the best part of Kenny's legacy will be his achievements off the pitch with Ireland in having a more organic link between our underage sides and the senior team where there looks to be more of a production line of talent coming through of Irish born players. That's a huge asset to have and makes a little less reliant on British/foreign born players who engage in the neverending 'will I, won't I' play for Ireland sagas.

Edited by irishmufc - 23 Jun 2021 at 2:27pm
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

And from what I can see from the feast of football coming from Europe and South America at the moment is that strong defence remains integral to staying competitive. This goes back to my view that we cant just keep playing the system we are, with the players we have and expect different results when some sort of eureka moment occurs. Like in McCarthy's first stint there has to be trial and error, and that will include a clutch of players who probably won't be involved after a certain point. With a traditional style of defensive system (in an Irish way) we potentially scrape a draw in Belgrade, and we at least take a slightly embarrassing 0-0 against Luxembourg. With this more open style we conceded four, and lost both.

RB makes an interesting point about Finland, and in Pukki they have a functional and seasoned striker. But its alright and fine knocking the ball around a bit in defence, or deep in midfield, but without the necessary incision you won't beat stout midfielder, or defenders, and as a result you are just trying to play football, and I'm not sold on the mentality of "at least we're trying". Especially if this trying just leads to more dour draws or defeats to teams like Luxembourg.

Totally agree and I hope we're both wrong when it comes to Kenny over the next couole of years. 

First and foremost our playing style needs to be effective in acheiving results. 

Edited by irishmufc - 23 Jun 2021 at 2:31pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 2:32pm
I actually believe, in the hypothetical, had we made it to the Euros, and had all the players available to us that were there in the opening days of the Kenny regime (McCarthy holding, McGoldrick up top), and the likes of Duffy in form, I think we would have held our own. It may have raised questions as to being a little toothless, but I don't think we would have been embarrassed, or that a replication of Euro 2012 was in store.

The difference is that it went another way after the Slovakia game, and it seems that HR issues raised their head in the camp, alongside a range of injuries, retirements, form loss etc, which culminated in the March set of fixtures, and I think under current circumstances, no matter what group we were in, we would have had a rough ride.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 2:57pm

Totally agree and I hope we're both wrong when it comes to Kenny over the next couole of years. 

First and foremost our playing style needs to be effective in acheiving results. 

And the thing is, if the football we were watching hadn't been so conservative for so long, I think the footballing public would see benefits to a more defensive style. And in many respects, aspects of the conservative approach pre-date Trap. The efforts to qualify for WC 2006 had very noticeable moments of restrictive football, particularly the second half in Tel Aviv, the substitution of Kavanagh for Keane, or the selection against the Swiss in Dublin in October 05. Over these years, a freer approach would probably have engendered better results, particularly as we saw in France in 2009.

The difference is, unlike previous managers who under-estimated our players abilities, and became so results orienteered it made the football difficult watch, we now don't have the players at the ready to change styles (at least dramatically). And to your point about the Hungary game, there are little green shoots. And this may result in understanding the need for lads like Duffy to be first names on the team sheet, even if we want to see combinations of younger players, or whatever.

I think it will be tough, but my hope is Kenny has not only learned from his first year in charge, but now has a greater understanding of the hybrid style that will probably be necessary, and indeed the identity of the players he wants to pick, even those who might appear to be ready to be put out to pasture.

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 3:09pm
Watching Croatia play Scotland last night, they're just so comfortable on the ball, they can play that way because they're technically good enough to do it. We're not technically at that level, even England trying to play that way at the moment - it's working to some extent because of the overall quality of player they have but it's not their natural game and you can see it when they play, it all looks very slow and ponderous. They'll most likely get found out in the knockout stages because they're not playing a style that matches their strengths.

Looking at our younger players and recently our under 21s also, they're not technically at that level either - they're good footballers but they'll never be technically proficient enough to play that short passing, out from the back style that the likes of Croatia and Spain are more natural at. So, it's not as though we can play this way and just wait for more technically gifted players to filter through, while the next generation look better players they're not comfortable enough on the ball to play that style either.

Hopefully Kenny can see this and move us towards a more mixed style of play that suits the players we have. I'm not convinced he will do that - but he has a few more games to show that he has adapted to the standard of opposition we are playing and can set us up in a way that gets the most from the players we have. 
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 4:10pm
Look at our team though...No matter what way we would play we are going to be gash. That's sadly the reality of it...And people are thinking we are trying to play a much more expansive brand of football than we actually are
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
  Share Topic