You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Azerbaijan Away - Saturday 9th October 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 212223
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 7:22pm
Azeri propaganda on the subway train to the stadium Ermm

Sponsored Links

kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by wicklowrunner wicklowrunner wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by ScaryEire ScaryEire wrote:

Great trip as the match performance and result crowned it! Only down side was the chap who had his tricolour ripped by one of the many guards at the turnstile! Unbeknown to the flags owner, our hosts are “at war” with their neighbours Armenia. The chap adds a new country’s badge to his tricolour once visited with an Armenian badge among his collection.Don’t think he’ll be adding an Azerbaijan badge! Bit over the top mr policeman but maybe also a lesson to us all?! All the Azerbaijan flags on the Baku building balconies were in a mark of respect to their war falling. Fair enough but the Irish flag owner meant no disrespect yet the guard took offence. Still, excellent trip.

It was excessive by the Azerbaijanis but the war/conflict made international news last year so Its surprising someone wouldn't have at least some ounce of awareness of it or their ongoing issues with Armenia. 

It does no harm in future to read up on any of these out of the way destinations should we draw their teams again like Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Armenia etc as you could inadvertently cause offence without realising it. 

They hate the Armenians.
Was on a tour on the Sunday. Our guide was talking about Turkey and the EU. I said one issue is the refusal to apologise for the Armenian Genocide. He hardly acknowledged my comment.

Did you see the fire temple? Heard it got rave reviews!
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Did they stamp your passports on the way in?
Might make things interesting if we draw Armenia in the Nations League.

No issue either way.  Loads of tourists do both countries and Georgia in between.  the only problem is if you visit the disputed region but that is unlikely and even if you did I'm not sure how they'd know.  
davereilly View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davereilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 8:11am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

No issue either way.  Loads of tourists do both countries and Georgia in between.  the only problem is if you visit the disputed region but that is unlikely and even if you did I'm not sure how they'd know.  

Exactly. When we were filling out Visa applications they asked if you had ever been to Nagorno-Karabakh without approval of the Azeri government. I imagine if you said that, then your application was rejected immediately. AFAIK (but not sure) Nagorno-Karabakh stamp your passport, so maybe that's how they would know, although if you had a new passport then they probably could not know.

Out of interest, anyone who went to Baku and had an Armenian stamp in your passport, did that cause any issue? I know we were all let in, but curious to see if they held you up for a while because of the stamp.
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 8:52am
Originally posted by davereilly davereilly wrote:

Exactly. When we were filling out Visa applications they asked if you had ever been to Nagorno-Karabakh without approval of the Azeri government. I imagine if you said that, then your application was rejected immediately. AFAIK (but not sure) Nagorno-Karabakh stamp your passport, so maybe that's how they would know, although if you had a new passport then they probably could not know.

Out of interest, anyone who went to Baku and had an Armenian stamp in your passport, did that cause any issue? I know we were all let in, but curious to see if they held you up for a while because of the stamp.
Had my hat checked I’ve a few times very closely including the airport on the way home for Armenian flags on it but other than that zero hassle and generally very nice people.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 11:03am
Originally posted by davereilly davereilly wrote:

No issue.   I had an Armenian stamp from 2019.  
DamoGUFC View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoGUFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 1:11am
Really enjoyable trip this one. At one stage I didn't think i'd make it passed Frankfurt airport but got there in the end. The staff in O'Malley's were very good. A very clean city with plenty police presence around. Plus the win makes the trip too. 
Galway United,
My love,
My passion,
My Life.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 212223
  Share Topic