You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's 2006. It's the Celtic Tiger...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 10:14am
I started working in a Bank in 2006, got about 18 months of being mad busy during the day and work credit cards in the bar in the evening before the crash.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 10:22am
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

I started working in a Bank in 2006, got about 18 months of being mad busy during the day and work credit cards in the bar in the evening before the crash.

Being a junior in those days was good times.
All the senior people would pay the bar bills (most of it was deemed work expenses) and we had summer and Xmas parties- free bar. 

There was definitely a lot more riding within the work place in those days! 

Edited by Zinedine Kilbane 110 - 04 May 2021 at 10:52am

sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 10:41am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Been a junior in those days was good times.
All the senior people would pay the bar bills (most of it was deemed work expenses) and we had summer and Xmas parties- free bar. 

There was definitely a lot more riding within the work place in those days! 

Great days, proper old school branch managers who would anything for they're staff. Unfortunately all long replaced by a new breed.
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

One thing I did learn is that the labourers and taxi men were first to see signs of the crash Thumbs Up

Not sure I'll be calling up my financial labourer for advice 

The banks and developers will try cover problems up and try keep things going mad. The lads on ground see first when the work starts drying up, payment and credit been an issue, etc.

Certainly in 2006, the lads on sites were saying crash before the banks, a lot of financial experts, etc

Re comment on 100 per cent mortgages. I actually don’t see them as a bad thing. For example, now a couple could be paying 1500 a month in rent for 3 years, impossible to save for a deposit, but proving they could easily pay a mortgage over a significant period of time. Tbh they’d probably be paying 100s less. Think these lads should be able to get 100 per cent mortgages 
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 11:10am

Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

One thing I did learn is that the labourers and taxi men were first to see signs of the crash Thumbs Up

Not sure I'll be calling up my financial labourer for advice 

The banks and developers will try cover problems up and try keep things going mad. The lads on ground see first when the work starts drying up, payment and credit been an issue, etc.

Certainly in 2006, the lads on sites were saying crash before the banks, a lot of financial experts, etc

Re comment on 100 per cent mortgages. I actually don’t see them as a bad thing. For example, now a couple could be paying 1500 a month in rent for 3 years, impossible to save for a deposit, but proving they could easily pay a mortgage over a significant period of time. Tbh they’d probably be paying 100s less. Think these lads should be able to get 100 per cent mortgages 

I get your point and while rent paid is taken into account for calculating someone's repayment capacity it does massively effect ability to save. But 100% mortgages will drive property prices up further. The 10% deposit and max 3.5x salary were brought in to keep the market stable. With rents so high I really feel for people trying to save because moving home to parents to save isn't right for anyone.
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 2:10am
It's the regular heralds Dublin weekly of wannabe Celebs such as Glenda Gilson and Gavin Lambe Murphy reporting from Lillies. 

Edited by irelandfan - 07 May 2021 at 2:21am
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 12:00am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 12:16pm
Just passed a luxury hot tube and jacuzzi van on the M50, we're back 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic