You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1986 World Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Wasn't there one game at the 2018 (I think Uruguay were playing) and there was some mess up which meant it was played in front of a tiny crowd? 

I always feel some tournaments are just well attended and others aren't. Euro 96 always springs to mind. It holds such a fond place in some people's memories, but one of my abiding memories was seeing stadiums that were usually packed to the rafters with pockets of empty seats. The 1999 Rugby World Cup also had that. Correct me if I'm wrong by I think I read a lot had to do with the pricing tiers. Basically, rather than adjusting games based on category, it was a unified pricing structure for each stage, and people weren't willing to fork out much more than the bottom price for fixtures to attend as neutrals?
2010 was worse, plenty of games with 10k empty seats
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 3:04pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I always got the impression from rugby World Cups that the fans wanted to pay more so they could tell you afterwards. 

Certainly not in those days! Thousands of seats were available.
I think it says more about the increase in popularity in the past twenty years as anything. It was a niche sport even in places it was popular then. There are all sorts of reasons for that, but that's another matter entirely.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 3:23pm

I think it says more about the increase in popularity in the past twenty years as anything. It was a niche sport even in places it was popular then. There are all sorts of reasons for that, but that's another matter entirely.

There has been a major upswing in popularity. No doubt about that. But my vague recollection was that tickets started at £30 or something like that, and those were the cheap seats. People just weren't willing to pay that to watch Georgia v Romania at Lansdowne Road, notwithstanding it was one of the best games of the tournament.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 3:41pm
With more recent tournaments, loads of tickets are distributed to Corporates and Sponsors etc. Usually they never fill their allocation, nor do they go back onto general sale.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

With more recent tournaments, loads of tickets are distributed to Corporates and Sponsors etc. Usually they never fill their allocation, nor do they go back onto general sale.

I vaguely remember back in 1994 if you had contacts with major sponsors it was easy to get tickets to the World Cup. If you didn't have contacts you needed a wedge of money to buy a travel package.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

While ticketing distribution systems were primitive compared to today.

Clearly you weren't talking about JD's FAI ticketing system
I was in Genoa before ROI's game vs Romania. Hadn't a ticket, so went out to the ground a couple of hours early to see if I could find one.

Saw a crowd milling round some oul fella, so went to take a look. He had scores (hundreds?) of tickets which he was literally giving away. Still no idea who he was, but I remember he had an FAI badge on his blazer. LOL

I was out in Italy with a couple of Scottish mates. But 3 or 4 weeks before the tournament began, I went out on a recce to Milan for a long w/end with the g/f, to see if I could get some tickets for Scotland's games.

I asked around and eventually was directed to a clothes shop(!), where they sent me down to the back. There were 2 fellas sitting at a desk that had been wedged in beside the changing rooms, I told them what I wanted, they opened a drawer, handed me the tickets without comment and swiped my credit card. I'm not sure, but I think the tickets were only just over face value.

I also went to Bologna for the England v Belgium game, again without a ticket. Went to the stadium an hour or two before k.o. and saw that the touts were doing good business - they all seemed to be Dutch. Anyhow, I was just figuring out how I should approach them, when all Hell broke loose: the Carabinieri suddenly turned up in vans and waded in with sirens, batons and dogs etc, to arrest the touts, while everyone else scattered. I ended up having to watch the game on a big screen in the centre of town.

I've since been told that local organised crime had been controlling ticket sales and touting etc- who'da thunk it in Italy LOL - and they got the cops to intervene when they saw the Dutch muscling in on their patch.

Edited by Territorial - 31 Mar 2021 at 4:03pm
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 7:57pm
Terrie i recall in Palermo before the Irland V Holland game , it seemed that the Italians were the lads people were looking for when i came to tickets , then saw some Dutch lads seeling them and the police wading in and took the Dutch lads away and the Italian lads carried on selling them . 

I turned up without a ticket at the start and ended up getting all the Irish games a Semi Final and the Final , hey if you put yourself out there you always have a chance . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 7:58pm

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

While ticketing distribution systems were primitive compared to today.

Clearly you weren't talking about JD's FAI ticketing system
I was in Genoa before ROI's game vs Romania. Hadn't a ticket, so went out to the ground a couple of hours early to see if I could find one.

Saw a crowd milling round some oul fella, so went to take a look. He had scores (hundreds?) of tickets which he was literally giving away. Still no idea who he was, but I remember he had an FAI badge on his blazer. LOL

I was out in Italy with a couple of Scottish mates. But 3 or 4 weeks before the tournament began, I went out on a recce to Milan for a long w/end with the g/f, to see if I could get some tickets for Scotland's games.

I asked around and eventually was directed to a clothes shop(!), where they sent me down to the back. There were 2 fellas sitting at a desk that had been wedged in beside the changing rooms, I told them what I wanted, they opened a drawer, handed me the tickets without comment and swiped my credit card. I'm not sure, but I think the tickets were only just over face value.

I also went to Bologna for the England v Belgium game, again without a ticket. Went to the stadium an hour or two before k.o. and saw that the touts were doing good business - they all seemed to be Dutch. Anyhow, I was just figuring out how I should approach them, when all Hell broke loose: the Carabinieri suddenly turned up in vans and waded in with sirens, batons and dogs etc, to arrest the touts, while everyone else scattered. I ended up having to watch the game on a big screen in the centre of town.

I've since been told that local organised crime had been controlling ticket sales and touting etc- who'da thunk it in Italy LOL - and they got the cops to intervene when they saw the Dutch muscling in on their patch.

Fair chance it was JD Snr
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 8:43pm
To give the FAI some credit on the ticketing front. I got a ticket for the QF in 1990 for a tenner. They subsidised 600 tickets for a tenner each, tickets had a higher face value. 

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 31 Mar 2021 at 8:45pm
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 10:00pm

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

There was some fan at one of the games with live snake in his handsConfused
It must have cost him a fortune to get it dry-cleaned.
LOLLOLLOL
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Terrie i recall in Palermo before the Irland V Holland game , it seemed that the Italians were the lads people were looking for when i came to tickets , then saw some Dutch lads seeling them and the police wading in and took the Dutch lads away and the Italian lads carried on selling them . 

Sounds right.

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

I turned up without a ticket at the start and ended up getting all the Irish games a Semi Final and the Final , hey if you put yourself out there you always have a chance . 

Right again.

Reminds me of Euro96. I heard that the different teams had all set up offices in Wembley Arena to sell/exchange unsold tickets, or act as collection point for pre-solds etc.

Myself and some mates wanted to go to the England v Germany game. Obv England tickets were scarcer than hens teeth, but I had an idea. I had a client who was German, but not interested in football, so I got her to fax me a photocopy of her Passport.

I took it to the German FA desk at the Arena, told them I had four clients flying in from Germany the next day, who were wondering could they get a ticket for the game while they were in town. They sold me four tickets there and then, no further questions asked!

Of course, me and my 3 English mates ended up in the German end, but it was still a great experience, with no blood spilt or teeth lost! Clap

Sadly, however, they've tightened up ticket distribution at tournaments a heck of a lot since those days.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 5:09pm

I vaguely remember back in 1994 if you had contacts with major sponsors it was easy to get tickets to the World Cup. If you didn't have contacts you needed a wedge of money to buy a travel package.
I booked it all myself.
Return flights to JFK
30 Day Standby pass with Delta worked out at $50 a flight.
All hotels etc.
Had a fcuking ball.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic