You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Squad depth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Squad depth
    Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 4:51pm
If there is a thread anywhere else,  move it lads. 
I was looking at our squad depth and then  comparing the club form of our players at  present.
GK:  Randolph, kelleher, Bazunu, Travers 
RB: Doherty, Coleman,Christie, O Connor,McNamara 
CB: Egan, Clark, Duffy, O'shea, Collins, Long, Lenihan, Dunne
LB: Steven's, Manning, Bagan (possibly), Flynn, Ferry
MF:Brady, McCarthy, McClean, Hendrick, Hourihane, Knight, Smallbone, Watson Molumby, Cullen, Browne, Byrne, Horgan, O'Dowda, Harness, Curtis, Coventry,
FF: Maguire, Hogan, Collins, Idah, Connolly, Long, odubeko(maybe), Parrot,Obafemi.

If we were to look at their form this year:
Randolph, Kelleher, Travers all sub keepers with very little game time, Bazunu league one.
RB , Doherty in worst form of his career, in and out of spurs team, Coleman, in and out of everton team and injured a lot, christie championship getting games but is not good enough really when it comes to the crunch of international football, O Connor league one and McNamara in and out of championship team.
CB:egan excellent player(our best player in my opinion)but looks like he will be relegated to championship, Clark getting game time of late but gets injured a lot, O Shea good young player playing in the premiership but looks like getting relegated, Collins excellent prospect and getting game time with possibility of moving to premiership, Long and Dunne not getting game time at Burnley, Lenihan doing ok and getting game time at mid championship team
LB: manning in and out of good championship team, Steven's having poor season going to be relegated, Bagan young up and coming player  hoping his is going to join us, flynn good prospect but nothing more at the minute
MF: Hendrick in and out of Newcastle team, McCarthy and Brady injury prone, hourihane on loan (doing well) but his form has seen him drop down a level to championship, cullen starting to do well and getting games at decend standard, horgan in and out of championship team at the bottom of the table, O Dowda in and out of a mid table championship team, curtis and Harness getting game time at league one, Smallbone good prospect but gets a lot of injuries  Browne getting game time at championship team but plays RB some of the time, knight good prospect and captain of a championship team fighting relegation, Byrne hoping his move to average league works out, Watson seems a good prospect but long way to go, Coventry decend protest but his career hasnt really developed much in last few years, Molumby dropped down to the championship but is not getting games.
FF: Parrott, possibility most disappointing of all, our great white hope but playing in league one and not scoring, Maguire, in and out of championship team and not scoring,  Collins in and out of championship team scoring few goals but most is from the penalty spot, Hogan starting at mid table championship team but not really scoring much, Idah really good prospect but not getting game time in best championship team, Connolly in and out and not scoring much as well as a lot of injuries, obafemi it anyone guess what way his career will turn out and Mipo probably shouldn't be on this list as it looks like he has little interest in playing for us.

On paper our options look ok, but if you were to look at their club form in detail it is very worrying. Hopefully a few of the younger lads push on in a few years and maybe some good eligible player come on board  the problem is the more we drop down the rankings the harder it will be to attract good eligible players. We need to cap Smallbone, hodge etc..

I give kenny a break at the moment but it not looking great lads. unfortunately.

Edited by aviva8 - 28 Mar 2021 at 4:56pm
Sponsored Links

E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 5:04pm
Things can change very quickly in football. Rewind back to the end of last season and how everything seemed so positive.

3 of our players were playing with a Sheffield United who completely defied expectations and competed well in the Premier League.
Doherty was after finishing another good season at Wolves.
Hendrick had plenty of options for his next move after a decent enough year at Burnley.
Connolly finished the season well with Brighton.
Molumby off the back of a highly successful loan spell with Milwall.
James McCarthy was solid for Palace and potentially about to return to us.

Dara O Shea and Callum Robinson were at a West Brom who got promoted.

Shane Duffy was still a premier league standard CB who just needed a move to get away from a manager whose playstyle was not suitable for him. Imagine if he went to West Ham instead of Craig Dawson.

Our young players were in promising situations. Idah about to drop down to the Championship with the hope of more game time, Parrott looking at a first loan, Smallbone and Obafemi breaking into Southamptons first team.

Now, the majority of our Premier League cohort are facing relegation, our young players have had terrible seasons - every single one of them. The returns of McCarthy and Arter were dead ducks. Duffy went to Scotland and ended up being embarrassed.

I think that the fortunes of our players at club level will turn around over the coming 18 months. Hopefully we can get a good manager in to have a decent crack at Euro 2024.
Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 5:35pm
I think we have to be more inventive of who we call up and look at how they can fit into a system of play. Thats if we decide on one. 

Jamie McGrath has been one of the in form attacking players in the SPFL. Scored agsinst Rangers. I dont think he was even considered.

Dylan Connolly another from the same club  who should be looked at. Unbelievable speed. Even Rogers at Kilmarnock alot more experienced GK than O'Hara or Travers. I would have had alot more confidence of him being back up than Travers. 

We put Jack Byrne on such a pedestal. As if he was too good for the League of Ireland but will overlook others playing LOI, SPFL.

I had mentioned previously about playing b internationals/ LOI XIs and games outside the fifa calandar. Similar to what USA do. Perfect way to assess potential fringe players.

The national team should feel nearly like a club side. We need to try and get back to that and create a more cohesive team, where everyone knows their roles. 

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 5:38pm
Squad depth in one thread v dead wood in another LOL

Edited by horsebox - 28 Mar 2021 at 5:38pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 5:59pm
Dylan Connolly should not be looked at, we're not that desperate yet, I hope we never are 
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 4:41pm
Over a year on...

Robinson
                               Idah
                              Parrott
                             Obafemi
                             Keane
            Browne                        Ogbene
            Knight                           Connolly
            McGrath                        S.Long       

Stevens        Cullen  Hendrick             Doherty
Manning       Hourihane  Molumby       Coleman
McClean       Coventry  Taylor             Christie
Bagan                Kilkenny                    McNamara

Egan   Duffy   N.Collins  
                  O'Shea   Dunne  Lenihan
                 McGuinness  Omobamidele                                  

Kelleher
                             Bazunu
                             Travers

Other Options:
GK - Talbot, O'Leary, Randolph
CB - K.Long, Williams, McLoughlin, McNally, O'Hora, Cashin
RWB - Kioso, Ebosele
LWB - Scales
CM - Doyle-Hayes,
AM - Ronan, Sykes, Byrne, Horgan, Smallbone, Noss, Curtis, Harness, Scully, O'Dowda
ST - Hogan, J.Collins, Ferguson, Odubeko

Did I miss anyone?
We really need to blood a couple of CMs this year, a couple of injuries/suspensions there & we're f**ked.

Edited by Greenie50 - 12 May 2022 at 7:35pm
gally View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 4:59pm
very light on decent CM's.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 5:36pm
Creative midfielders = fook all. It's great an all having these "athletic" midfielders, but we so badly need a ball player. It's all too apparent in games where we have more possession.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 5:55pm
[****

Edited by kevincronin2000 - 12 May 2022 at 5:59pm
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic