You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Football

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 109110111
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Yeah there's no championship buzz around the matches, on a cold wet April Saturday
Clashing with the climax of the Premier League season doesn't help either.
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Dublin got a lot of bad decisions over the years pre 2011 some awful ones but then it all changed in the Kildare game that year Bernard Brogan getting a handy free in to win the game for absolutely nothing a handy enough free to beat Kerry in the final  

In fairness, that was a free every day of the week, the tug on BB's jersey was clear. It was a handy free, but there was substance behind it. 
[/QUOTE]Then every passage of play there’ll be a free for every little bit of contact even Kevin McStay on commentary said you can’t be giving a free in for that especially at that stage of the game it looks very bad on the referee. I’m just saying how Dublin’s luck with refereeing decisions changed very obviously from 2011 onwards and you don’t want to be winning games like that.

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 14 Apr 2024 at 9:48pm
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 9:48pm
Take these games out of Croke Park ffs. It's utterly ludicrous 

And Meath nominating in the first place. The daft ****s 

If this game is in literally any other ground in Leinster, its an occasion and almost a sellout
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 9:55pm

Then every passage of play there’ll be a free for every little bit of contact even Kevin McStay on commentary said you can’t be giving a free in for that especially at the stage of the game it looks very bad on the referee. I’m just saying how Dublin’s luck with refereeing decisions changed very obviously from 2011 onwards and you don’t want to be winning games like that.

It was more than just slight contact, it impeded Brogan in going for the ball, regardless of whether he was going to get to it or not. I profoundly disagreed with McStay's take on it that day, and to this day I can still hear his apoplectic "ah no, ah no!" ringing in my ears. The Kildare defender's gamble did pay off, or else he didnt think in the split second and made the wrong call. Either way, those sort of jersey tugs, where there is only two players going for the ball will be penalised.

I don't disagree that Dublin enjoyed an upswing in refereeing fortunes. I can remember times when Dublin players were being laid out by opposition players and nothing was being done about it. But for some reason, I've always stood by my view that that free was the right call.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

If this game is in literally any other ground in Leinster, its an occasion and almost a sellout

Dublin haven't played Meath outside of Croker, in the Championship since 1980. I have zero opposition to hitting the road, and I have zero opposition to leaving Croke Park for the Leinster Final and beyond, but Dublin v Meath is a Croke Park. Granted, today's attendance may actually be the first moment of realisation.
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 10:05pm

Then every passage of play there’ll be a free for every little bit of contact even Kevin McStay on commentary said you can’t be giving a free in for that especially at the stage of the game it looks very bad on the referee. I’m just saying how Dublin’s luck with refereeing decisions changed very obviously from 2011 onwards and you don’t want to be winning games like that.

It was more than just slight contact, it impeded Brogan in going for the ball, regardless of whether he was going to get to it or not. I profoundly disagreed with McStay's take on it that day, and to this day I can still hear his apoplectic "ah no, ah no!" ringing in my ears. The Kildare defender's gamble did pay off, or else he didnt think in the split second and made the wrong call. Either way, those sort of jersey tugs, where there is only two players going for the ball will be penalised.

I don't disagree that Dublin enjoyed an upswing in refereeing fortunes. I can remember times when Dublin players were being laid out by opposition players and nothing was being done about it. But for some reason, I've always stood by my view that that free was the right call.
A lot of people just don’t like to see soft frees given to win games at the death that aren’t given at other times and it just raises suspicion of the referee and brings attention on them. I remember in the 2014 All Ireland final Barry Kelly gave Tipp a free at the death to win it now it was a long way out but still a chance, The free was for charging against a KK player and although the free was missed Brian Cody came out afterwards and called the decision criminal 
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Armagh will be picking thier lips with a semi final against Down after watching that dross yesterday. 

Aye although Armagh weren't great today either. I hope to god Down put up more of a fight than Fermanagh. 
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 11:50pm

Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

Brutal crowd in Croke Park.

Unfortunately, even as a hardcore Dublin fan, with many miles under the belt, you can’t but look at today’s crowd and the outcome and not feel they are related. The earlier Championship is also playing into that. But I recall 23k showed up for Dublin v Tipperary in 2010 after the infamous 5 goal rout by Meath (there was hurling on beforehand), but today just over 20k attended. I love seeing Dublin win, but the Leinster championship is undoubtedly becoming somewhat pro-forma and it’s hard to motivate before it in the way it once was.
Would there be many fine Gael voters going to games such as yourself 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 11:57pm

Dublin haven't played Meath outside of Croker, in the Championship since 1980. I have zero opposition to hitting the road, and I have zero opposition to leaving Croke Park for the Leinster Final and beyond, but Dublin v Meath is a Croke Park. Granted, today's attendance may actually be the first moment of realisation.
The attendances will surely get even worse especially if they persist with an April championship? The only way it can improve is if Dublin are beaten one year before the final or a team like Louth go on a run and reach the final for the first time in years. 

Edited by eireland - 14 Apr 2024 at 11:57pm
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2024 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

The attendances will surely get even worse especially if they persist with an April championship? The only way it can improve is if Dublin are beaten one year before the final or a team like Louth go on a run and reach the final for the first time in years. 

Louth were in the final last year
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2024 at 4:49pm
I could see Louth beating Kildare to reach another final this year also. 
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2024 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

Louth were in the final last year
I know and that's my point. If a team like Meath/Westmeath/Kildare who've reached a few finals more recently get there nobody's going to go to see a Dublin hiding. But last year under Harte Louth reach the final for the first time since 2010. Hype through the roof brought a huge crowd and they were all swiftly reminded why nobody goes to matches Vs Dublin anymore. If they reach the final this year the crowd they bring will drop dramatically and after another hiding they'll disappear for any future finals Vs Dublin. 
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2024 at 9:39am

Louth should be winning that match given the way this year has gone for Kildare. Louth 8/13 to win. No backdoor for Kildare if they get beaten. 
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2024 at 9:55am
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Louth should be winning that match given the way this year has gone for Kildare. Louth 8/13 to win. No backdoor for Kildare if they get beaten. 
Agree, although those odds are a bit too flattering towards Louth. 
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2024 at 10:05am

Yeah I agree. While Louth beat them in the league, and in general had a much better league then Kildare, I think the threat of no back door could be good motivation for Kildare. Then again going down and having a good run like Meath last year could do them good. I thought the better would have been even enough at 10/11 each.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2024 at 2:00pm

Yeah I wouldn't be biting at those short odds
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 109110111
  Share Topic