You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gerard Houllier

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gerard Houllier
    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 10:28am
Gerard has passed away.

RIP.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Sponsored Links

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 10:34am
A brilliant manager and a lovely bloke. Modernised Liverpool when he came in and gave us some brilliant nights - Was lucky enough to be at the 3 cup finals in 2001 which was my first experience of those type of occasions and they will stick with me forever. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 10:37am
Hung ginola  out to dry in 1993 
AKA pedantic kunt
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

What was he thinking in fairness. One lad in the box, in the dying embers of the game. One of those momentary lapses in concentration or was he just an eejit. 

Would have seen Papin, Cantona et al at USA 94. But at the expense of Stoichkov and all the other 'ov's.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 10:44am
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 11:01am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

A brilliant manager and a lovely bloke. Modernised Liverpool when he came in and gave us some brilliant nights - Was lucky enough to be at the 3 cup finals in 2001 which was my first experience of those type of occasions and they will stick with me forever. 

The overhaul he managed in 1999 was remarkable, given the scale. That year players like McManaman, James, Jones, Ince went and in came Henchoz, Hyypia, Hamann etc. It was the first time in several years that Liverpool competed, and of course, within a couple of years, they were winning prizes. Always liked what he did there.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 11:09am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

What was he thinking in fairness. One lad in the box, in the dying embers of the game. One of those momentary lapses in concentration or was he just an eejit. 

Would have seen Papin, Cantona et al at USA 94. But at the expense of Stoichkov and all the other 'ov's.

No defending ginola but there was a lot of football between the right back getting it and scoring up the other end.  Did liverpool hang barnes out to dry in 89 for something similar. 
AKA pedantic kunt
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 11:25am

No defending ginola but there was a lot of football between the right back getting it and scoring up the other end.  Did liverpool hang barnes out to dry in 89 for something similar. 

Ah yeah the goal was totally preventable but still, what the absolute hell was he thinking. Seconds to go, Cantona by himself in the box with the rest of the team in their own half LOL

Not entirely sure what Ginola had done in his career up to that point. I know he was at PSG etc. but I think Barnes previous allowed him that blunder and gave him a pass.

Plus, let's be honest, we know what the French can be like LOL 
AS YOU WERE McGx

SeanyL View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 11:46am
I remember when he was Aston Villa manager they played Liverpool in Anfield.
Liverpool won the match after which Houllier clapped the Liverpool fans and ignored the Villa fans. He then did an interview saying if he was going to loose to anyone he would prefer it to be Liverpool!
Didnt exactly endear himself to Villa fans that day.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 12:41pm
Houllier always came across as a decent fella which makes his 'war criminal' remark at Ginola all the more surprising. 

Imagine Kenny calling Randolph a war criminal over his mistake against Finland LOL

I suppose it was heat of the moment stuff with Ginola in the aftermath but the expectations in powerhouse countries like France (also Italy more recently missing out on Russia WC 2018) are huge. Not even qualifying for a major tournament is a national catastrophe. 

France didn't qualify for Italia 90 either. Unbelievable given the pool of talent they'd have to miss out on two world cups in a row.  
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Houllier always came across as a decent fella which makes his 'war criminal' remark at Ginola all the more surprising. 

Imagine Kenny calling Randolph a war criminal over his mistake against Finland LOL

I suppose it was heat of the moment stuff with Ginola in the aftermath but the expectations in powerhouse countries like France (also Italy more recently missing out on Russia WC 2018) are huge. Not even qualifying for a major tournament is a national catastrophe. 

France didn't qualify for Italia 90 either. Unbelievable given the pool of talent they'd have to miss out on two world cups in a row.  

And they hosted in 1998 so they didn't need to qualify that year.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 12:47pm
They didnt qualify for euro 88 either and stunk the place out at both euro 92 and euro 96 although at euro 96 they did get to the semi finals but they were sh*te to watch.   

Once they found their mojo against Croatia in 98 there was no stopping them for a few years.  
AKA pedantic kunt
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 1:20pm

Ah yeah the goal was totally preventable but still, what the absolute hell was he thinking. Seconds to go, Cantona by himself in the box with the rest of the team in their own half LOL

Not entirely sure what Ginola had done in his career up to that point. I know he was at PSG etc. but I think Barnes previous allowed him that blunder and gave him a pass.

They needed 1 point from their final 2 games, at home to Israel and Bulgaria. They’d already beaten Israel 4-0 (I think) away. An absolute collapse. Lost 3-2 to Israel. Highlights are on YouTube. Worth a watch. Madness that Ginola was made the scapegoat. 
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 4:49pm
Off topic but France have an outstanding record at tournaments in the last 20 years. Two world cups, one final loss. Two Euros and one final loss
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

They needed 1 point from their final 2 games, at home to Israel and Bulgaria. They’d already beaten Israel 4-0 (I think) away. An absolute collapse. Lost 3-2 to Israel. Highlights are on YouTube. Worth a watch. Madness that Ginola was made the scapegoat. 

Tied at 2-2 and Ginola is replaced by Djorkaeff and they concede in the 89th LOL

Rosenthal playing that night Cool
AS YOU WERE McGx

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Off topic but France have an outstanding record at tournaments in the last 20 years. Two world cups, one final loss. Two Euros and one final loss

Them and Spain were massive underachievers up to 98
Both have changed the record books. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic