You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Europa Conference League

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daragho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Europa Conference League
    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 3:33pm
So, this new third-tier competition....I've had a bit of a read and it seems a few of our clubs will qualify for this next year. Anyone figure out who exactly, and whether we still will have clubs entering the Europa League proper qualifying rounds?

Edit: Further investigation reveals that

Rovers will going into the Champions League Qualifying Round 1
Dundalk go into Europa Conference League QR1
Bohs go into Europa Conference League QR1
Sligo Rovers go into Europa Conference League QR1, because Dundalk were third but their FAI Cup victory gives them a Conference League spot.

And no Irish team goes into the Europa League because we are ranked 42 out of 55 nations in Europe.

Edited by Daragho - 08 Dec 2020 at 3:43pm
Sponsored Links

RobsYourUncle View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsYourUncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 4:50pm
Read up on this a while ago and from what I understand, if Rovers lose their CL 1st round tie, they skip the Europa League and go straight down into the Conference League 2nd round qualifying. 

If they get knocked out in the CL 2nd qualifying round then they would then drop into the Europa League 3rd round, and if they lost that they'd go into the Conference League playoff round.

In other words, if they win their first tie, they have three more chances to win a tie to get into a group stage at least.

Daragho View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daragho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 12:46pm
Yeah, I had the impression it would make it 'easier' for LoI teams to get group stage European football. Presume the Conference qualifying rounds would feature weaker teams than the Europa qualifying rounds. In general, this is probably positive - it might mean more regular group stage qualification = more money.
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 1:09pm
Its definitely an Improvement on the Intertoto Cup. For our best sides its arguably there level but will the competition get the same TV Coverage and Media Exposure? A Competition like this is just covering up UEFAs biggest Scandal by giving 4 automatic spots to England, Spain, Germany and Italy making the CL next to Impossible for smaller leagues like in Ireland to ever qualify. 

Edited by irelandfan - 09 Dec 2020 at 5:15pm
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 2:10pm
No teams qualify for this directly 

1 team from the top 5 leagues has to enter this!! I’m sure they will be delighted.

The 3rd place teams in the Europa league drop down into this after the group stage and play the RU in each group before the round of 16.

Edit:
matches would be on a Thursday at 6 and 8 ...same time as the EL.

EL now has 32 teams (instead of 48).

Edited by Zinedine Kilbane 110 - 09 Dec 2020 at 2:18pm

Daragho View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daragho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 2:26pm
Matches being on the same time as the Europa League is not ideal. It really relegates the competition to an after thought.

Surprised that there has been little to no coverage of this in the Irish sports media. It's quite a change for LoI clubs in terms of financial reward potentially on offer.
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 3:06pm
so does anyone know how much our clubs will receive in the 1st games they play. i haven't a clue how it works at present.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Daragho Daragho wrote:

Matches being on the same time as the Europa League is not ideal. It really relegates the competition to an after thought.

Surprised that there has been little to no coverage of this in the Irish sports media. It's quite a change for LoI clubs in terms of financial reward potentially on offer.

I think initially they were going to be on at 4pm.

Champions league will always get top billing on Tuesday/Wed nights.

What they could do to maximise revenue is to split the weeks the champions league and EL/ECL are on: 
Champions league on Tue/wed/thur. 
EL & ECL the following week 

ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 9:23am
Is this were ollie and the boys will be playing next season  #harpsforeurope Wink
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic