You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Group A: How many points do we get? Early pred.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Group A: How many points do we get? Early pred.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: WC Q: How many points do Ireland get?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [2.04%]
10 [20.41%]
30 [61.22%]
8 [16.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:09pm
If we carry the form that we have exhibited, have any major injury concerns, and score the level of goals we have been scoring, I wouldn't rule out fourth place on a bad day. Its hard to know if like in 2000 and 2004 we face down the difficult away games first (Serbia and Portugal) and try to build from there, or whether getting Azerbaijan in Dublin and Luxembourg away would be good, as those are games that on paper we should win with a little to spare.

Serbia are a good draw from Pot 2, but they were a good draw in 2016 and we got one point off them. I would expect a "backs to the wall" style approach against them. If Ronaldo is playing for Portugal, you could have the better of the game and he'll still pull something out of his locker that nobody would stop.

I want to have the old mentality that second place is in our grasp. But the last three years wouldn't suggest that. While we are seeing the development of players like Kelleher, Molumby, Collins Parrott etc which is all very positive,  and the likes of Josh Cullen settling in in Belgium this may be at an early stage and not sufficient to action it in time to make the most of this campaign, and we may need this campaign to bed in our new team. Especially as I feel that change may need to come, especially if lads who wouldn't normally be in the team are sitting on benches and in stands around the uk.
Sponsored Links

Darren View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:12pm
Hard to predict at this stage. If we continue as we have started under SK, then not scoring, not winning and low morale could see us humbled. even against the lower ranked teams. However, even a slight upturn in fortune, most obviously in terms of scoring goals (for me a 3-5-2 could facilitate that immediately), could see 2nd place a real possibility.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

6 points.  A nil all draw in every game except for the portugal and serbia away games.   

This is pessimism top trumps 😀
To be honest Baldie you could be right as Kenny has so far got it really wrong , now from his interview last night he came across as the last 8 games didn't matter it all begins in March kind of thing .

If we did very well in the NL games we would be sitting on a play off spot as it stands .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

6 points.  A nil all draw in every game except for the portugal and serbia away games.   

To be honest Baldie you could be right as Kenny has so far got it really wrong , now from his interview last night he came across as the last 8 games didn't matter it all begins in March kind of thing .

If we did very well in the NL games we would be sitting on a play off spot as it stands .

Murph so you are saying that Kenny should have had us finished top of the nations league group having just taken over the job. 
AKA pedantic kunt
SeanyL View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:21pm
I would say 11-15 is realistic.

0 from Portugal
1-3 from Serbia
10-12 from the bottom two

Anything over 15 is bonus territory for me. 
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:23pm
I think a few people may be underestimating Luxembourg who have improved fairly considerably over the past few years. Results over that period include i) drawing 0-0 away to France in WC18 qualifying ii) narrowing losing 3-2 away from home against Serbia in Euro 2020 qualifying iii) beating Montenegro 2-1 away from home in their most recent Nations League group.

If you look over their results from the last few years they've suffered very few hammerings. I think it's far from certain we'll be taking full points off them but thankfully I think the same can be said of Serbia in their games with them.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:25pm

Murph so you are saying that Kenny should have had us finished top of the nations league group having just taken over the job. 

I am saying that the last 8 games did matter and Kenny kind of blew it off last night . The teams we played were at the same level as we were and yet we were shocking .

You said we have to see an improvement in March as for whoever we play we can't have two defeats as it's a long wait until Sept .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
davereilly View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davereilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

I think a few people may be underestimating Luxembourg who have improved fairly considerably over the past few years. Results over that period include i) drawing 0-0 away to France in WC18 qualifying ii) narrowing losing 3-2 away from home against Serbia in Euro 2020 qualifying iii) beating Montenegro 2-1 away from home in their most recent Nations League group.

If you look over their results from the last few years they've suffered very few hammerings. I think it's far from certain we'll be taking full points off them but thankfully I think the same can be said of Serbia in their games with them.

Results in the last 12 months include a 2-1 loss to Cyprus, a 2-1 loss to Liechtenstein and needing an own goal and penalty to beat Azerbaijan 2-1
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:29pm

They have a few young players currently playing in the Bundesliga too.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:29pm

I am saying that the last 8 games did matter and Kenny kind of blew it off last night . The teams we played were at the same level as we were and yet we were shocking .

You said we have to see an improvement in March as for whoever we play we can't have two defeats as it's a long wait until Sept .

We ended up missing 14 players from the original squad for the November games but do continue on with this spiteful stuff. You've had the knife out from Day One for him. 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davereilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

They have a few young players currently playing in the Bundesliga too.

They have two Bundesliga players
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by davereilly davereilly wrote:

Results in the last 12 months include a 2-1 loss to Cyprus, a 2-1 loss to Liechtenstein and needing an own goal and penalty to beat Azerbaijan 2-1

Not really sure what the relevance is of how their scored their goals against Azerbaijan, but that's another decent enough result for them. My point is they are not the absolute whipping boys they were in the past and certain posters don't seem to be aware of this. The majority of their games are close enough affairs no matter who the opposition is. Perhaps they are still one of the better teams we could have got from pot 4 but I wouldn't think there's too much between themselves and the likes of Belarus, Bulgaria and Macedonia.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:34pm

What do you want him to say.  That we were sh*t and to be honest I am notmup to it I had 5 games to prove murph wrong and I blew it and to be honest they should probably sack me now and be done with it.   Every manager has to be an optimist esp to the press ffs.  The players would be disgusted If he either said they were not up to it or he wasnt up to it.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davereilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:45pm

Not really sure what the relevance is of how their scored their goals against Azerbaijan, but that's another decent enough result for them. My point is they are not the absolute whipping boys they were in the past and certain posters don't seem to be aware of this. The majority of their games are close enough affairs no matter who the opposition is. Perhaps they are still one of the better teams we could have got from pot 4 but I wouldn't think there's too much between themselves and the likes of Belarus, Bulgaria and Macedonia.

Don't know about you, but I would consider a team that lost to Liechtenstein this year as absolutely muck, and if we are already making excuses for not being able to beat them then we don't deserve to be competing for a WC spot
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:48pm

Don't know about you, but I would consider a team that lost to Liechtenstein this year as absolutely muck, and if we are already making excuses for not being able to beat them then we don't deserve to be competing for a WC spot

It was a friendly and it was Luxembourgs second string to boot.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Daragho View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daragho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

All top spot requires is win all your home games, beat Lux and Abz away and then a point away to Serbia or Portugal. 19 points should be enough. Always sounds easy on paper.

That actually sounds really difficult on paper.

And even harder in reality.
Green Man View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 4:22pm
8-10 points, there is nothing to suggest otherwise. Luxembourg have improved in recent years as has been said. Realistically we'll probably lose to Portugal and Serbia home and away. Any team that can't score a goal is up against it.
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 4:29pm
What we need is for the young players to come in and put in some good performances, even if the results aren't great. It's about building for the future, while trying to protect our seeding.

In terms of points, I'd expect something like this

Group A.............points

Portugal................22
Serbia...................17
Ireland..................13
Luxembourg............4
Azerbaijan...............1

The best case scenario is: 

Portugal beat Serbia twice, and the Serbs only manage a draw away to Azerbaijan. 

Then it's up to Ireland to get a draw off the Portugese in Dublin, and also four wins against Luxembourg and Azerbaijan. 

So even with defeats in Lisbon and Belgrade, Ireland can reduce the campaign to a one-off game in Dublin against Serbia to decide second place.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic