25 [52.08%]
1 [2.08%]
0 [0.00%]
15 [31.25%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Yeah, that's fine too! But I can’t help but feel aggrieved about what he did ET says he looked like Nacho Novo too, he was designed for me to hate!

I also think the extent of the dislike for him is exemplified by the fact that the vast majority of Pot 3-Pot 6 goalkeepers are almost totally nameless, and almost irrelevant individuals. When you think about it, I wouldn't be able to pick the Finnish, Bulgarian, and Slovakian keeper in a line-up, let alone goalkeepers from Cyprus, the Faroe Islands etc from 2005. However, Dudu name and face are branded on our collective brains.

His behaviour that night though was the absolute pits.

What a monumental f**k up that result was! Imagine punching a defender in the face and getting him sent of for it, it boils my blood! Am I right in saying we would have gained a playoff with a win that night? The 2 Israel results cost us automatic qualification, we had a really good side back then but no rub of the green unfortunately. Kerr did bottle it slightly with that Kavanagh substitution, another missed opportunity for a World Cup appearance ConfusedCry

Edited by Mr. Snrub - 22 Oct 2020 at 12:53pm
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Sponsored Links

tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Yeah, that's fine too! But I can’t help but feel aggrieved about what he did ET says he looked like Nacho Novo too, he was designed for me to hate!

I also think the extent of the dislike for him is exemplified by the fact that the vast majority of Pot 3-Pot 6 goalkeepers are almost totally nameless, and almost irrelevant individuals. When you think about it, I wouldn't be able to pick the Finnish, Bulgarian, and Slovakian keeper in a line-up, let alone goalkeepers from Cyprus, the Faroe Islands etc from 2005. However, Dudu name and face are branded on our collective brains.

His behaviour that night though was the absolute pits.

What a monumental f**k up that result was! Imagine punching a defender in the face and getting him sent of for it, it boils my blood! Am I right in saying we would have gained a playoff with a win that night? The 2 Israel results cost us automatic qualification, we had a really good side back then but no rub of the green unfortunately. Kerr did bottle it slightly with that Kavanagh substitution, another missed opportunity for a World Cup appearance ConfusedCry

YEah, we would have finished on 19 points, ahead of Switzerland on 18 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA)#Group_4
But it would have meant Switzerland had to come here in the final game and get a win to go through to the play offs, instead of sitting back for 90 minutes and playing for a draw, and I'm not sure Kerr was good enough to prevent the loss.
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 1:09pm
Our form had dipped badly after the Tel Aviv draw. We were really unimpressive in the Faroe Islands , and were lucky to get away with a win in Cyprus., not to mention the Dublin debacle with Israel. Funny enough, when were were going into the final 5 minutes of the game in Tel Aviv we were probably in pole position to win the group. Our only away ties were against the lower seeds, and the rest had to travel to Dublin..
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

The result that is most beloved of Irish football is the 1-1 victory

It is the result that is most in keeping with our national character

A classic 1-1 victory plays out as follows:

We are playing a big away qualifier or a finals match

We go behind early on and look outclassed, but somehow don't fall further behind

The longer the game goes on, the more the traditional Irish fighting spirit comes to the fore

And then, at some point in the last 20 minutes, a bolt from the blue, an equaliser arrives

Such a match is typically accompanied by a memorable facial expression pulled by a player or the manager - which will be later immortalised in an RTE montage - or a memorable commentary line

It is typically symbolised by an Irish lionheart, a Mick McCarthy, a Kevin Moran, a Paul McGrath, a Steve Staunton, a Richard Dunne, a John O'Shea, a Shane Duffy

The one constant in all Ireland's great 1-1 victories is Mr. George Hamilton

We celebrate as if we have won, which we have

On this poll I am restricted to eight choices

But this does not do justice to the depth of this genre

I've had to leave out so many classic 1-1 victories 

Left on the shelf are:
England 1990 at Lansdowne Road
Denmark 1993
The night in Belfast when Alan McLoughlin scored 
Cameroon 2002
Poland 2015
Bosnia 2015
Austria 2017
Denmark 2019
Switzerland 2019

The Czech Republic at Lansdowne Road in 2006, the last game I ever attended at the famous old stadium, was a 1-1 victory, even though we briefly led, amid one of the most raucous atmospheres at the stadium in modern times

And then there's Paris 2009, the ultimate 1-1 defeat, but smothered in moral victory, it is in a category all of its own

Then there are the lesser spotted 0-0 and 2-2 victories

0-0 victories were:
Denmark 1992
Spain 1992
Norway 1994
France 2004
Russia 2011
Sweden 2013
Denmark 2017

Belgium away in 1986 is the classic 2-2 victory
Holland 2000 deviates from the script a bit in that we led 2-0 but was celebrated like a victory
Italy 2009 at Croke Park was a sort of 2-2 victory

Vote early for your favourite 1-1 victory, vote often

It's definitely our favourite result but most of those one all's in the poll don't fit your definition though. 

England 1990 - Scrappy game but never really looked like falling further behind and deserved to be level when we equalised. 

England 1991 - Utterly dominated the game, only fell behind to a deflection and should have won by a couple really. 

v Germany 2002 - Never looked like falling further behind and were only still behind in stoppage time because Kahn was inspired in their goal. 

v Spain 2002 - Similar to Germany game, better side, missed a pen and a open goal from the rebound, kept the pressure on to equalise late and dominated extra time after drawing level. 

v Italy 2009 - Dominated after they went down to ten men and should have been level before we finally scored. 

I suppose the main point is they were all celebrated like victories, well, apart from the Spain one, but that followed the classic 1-1 victory pattern

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 2:52pm
The 2006 World Cup campaign is a litany of missed opportunities and of all the unsuccessful campaigns we have had, that one irks me the most

That was the absolute prime of the Keane/Duff/Given/Dunne/O'Shea generation and we still had Roy Keane even if he wasn't as good as in 2001

The whole campaign was a litany of missed opportunities and in truth by the end of it, things had collapsed into a shambles - we were a total rabble in Cyrpus in the penultimate game but stole a win - yet one kick of a ball against Switzerland would still have gotten us a play off

But we didn't remotely deserve it, we could have been there until midnight that night and we wouldn't have scored

Coming out of that Swiss game when we were eliminated, I didn't even have a feeling of proper disappointment, just a feeling of "uhhhh, that was so predictable, we got what we deserved, nothing, this was predictable from a long way back"

There was such a feeling of inevitability to it all and the crowd knew it too, they never got going that night
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 3:07pm
Let's compare the 2-2 draw in Amsterdam in September 2000 with the 0-0 in Paris in October 2004

The first game is well known for Roy Keane throwing a tantrum afterwards giving out about people thinking it was a good result

While there was certainly an element of regret afterwards that we had lost a 2-0 lead, we could easily have lost it at the end too

A draw felt like a decent start to the campaign

That night we played some of the most audacious and stylish football I've ever seen an Ireland team play, there was great ambition in it

There was a definite feeling we were going somewhere

It's also forgotten that Holland had been a real bogey team for us in the preceding years

So overall I felt the mood coming out of that match was one of real optimism, and that was reinforced when we got a draw in Portugal the following month, though we weren't as good that night

The France game in 2004 was commonly celebrated as a moral victory but it can't be overstated how terrible France were that night, they were dogsh*t, they were a rabble, a rabble in the way Holland were definitely not in 2000

And we didn't score against them, in my view we never really pushed for the win like we should have

I felt that was a huge missed opportunity and actually a good example of Roy Keane's words after 2009 - "we were afraid to take that next step"

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 4:57pm

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

The result that is most beloved of Irish football is the 1-1 victory

It is the result that is most in keeping with our national character

A classic 1-1 victory plays out as follows:

We are playing a big away qualifier or a finals match

We go behind early on and look outclassed, but somehow don't fall further behind

The longer the game goes on, the more the traditional Irish fighting spirit comes to the fore

And then, at some point in the last 20 minutes, a bolt from the blue, an equaliser arrives

Such a match is typically accompanied by a memorable facial expression pulled by a player or the manager - which will be later immortalised in an RTE montage - or a memorable commentary line

It is typically symbolised by an Irish lionheart, a Mick McCarthy, a Kevin Moran, a Paul McGrath, a Steve Staunton, a Richard Dunne, a John O'Shea, a Shane Duffy

The one constant in all Ireland's great 1-1 victories is Mr. George Hamilton

We celebrate as if we have won, which we have

On this poll I am restricted to eight choices

But this does not do justice to the depth of this genre

I've had to leave out so many classic 1-1 victories 

Left on the shelf are:
England 1990 at Lansdowne Road
Denmark 1993
The night in Belfast when Alan McLoughlin scored 
Cameroon 2002
Poland 2015
Bosnia 2015
Austria 2017
Denmark 2019
Switzerland 2019

The Czech Republic at Lansdowne Road in 2006, the last game I ever attended at the famous old stadium, was a 1-1 victory, even though we briefly led, amid one of the most raucous atmospheres at the stadium in modern times

And then there's Paris 2009, the ultimate 1-1 defeat, but smothered in moral victory, it is in a category all of its own

Then there are the lesser spotted 0-0 and 2-2 victories

0-0 victories were:
Denmark 1992
Spain 1992
Norway 1994
France 2004
Russia 2011
Sweden 2013
Denmark 2017

Belgium away in 1986 is the classic 2-2 victory
Holland 2000 deviates from the script a bit in that we led 2-0 but was celebrated like a victory
Italy 2009 at Croke Park was a sort of 2-2 victory

Vote early for your favourite 1-1 victory, vote often

It's definitely our favourite result but most of those one all's in the poll don't fit your definition though. 

England 1990 - Scrappy game but never really looked like falling further behind and deserved to be level when we equalised. 

England 1991 - Utterly dominated the game, only fell behind to a deflection and should have won by a couple really. 

v Germany 2002 - Never looked like falling further behind and were only still behind in stoppage time because Kahn was inspired in their goal. 

v Spain 2002 - Similar to Germany game, better side, missed a pen and a open goal from the rebound, kept the pressure on to equalise late and dominated extra time after drawing level. 

v Italy 2009 - Dominated after they went down to ten men and should have been level before we finally scored. 

I suppose the main point is they were all celebrated like victories, well, apart from the Spain one, but that followed the classic 1-1 victory pattern

Ah yeah. Just saying there was a world of difference between for example the Germany result in 2002 and the ome against the same opposition in 2014 which does fit your definition. We love that scoreline but we've achieved it in a variety of ways. Some games we deserved to win, some to lose and a draw was a fair result in others.

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 22 Oct 2020 at 5:27pm
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 5:25pm
The ones in the World Cup were all huge.

Top 3

The 1-1 with Holland was against a great side and got us into the next round. As said above, without this there would be no Romania or quarter finals.... 

First World Cup, first game against England. Great way to start.

1-1 v Germany in 2002 was brilliant and basically got us into the 2nd round. And I was there!! 

Ah the happy memories.

Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 7:38pm
Did Dudu have an ice bucket tipped over him by an Irish fan in town that night, or is it an urban legend? I've always really hoped it was true!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic