You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Should we give up football?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 333435
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2024 at 10:10pm
Iceland, Kosovo, Luxembourg, Albania etc etc. all would envy LOI attendances in their domestic leagues. 

Which is easier to achieve, pretty much every game sold out in your premier division or academy facilities throughout a country?

Ireland is a wealthy country, if the demand for live football continues, surely to god the government will get behind a plan to develop the right infrastructure…

Edited by Maccatacca - Yesterday at 10:01am
Sponsored Links

Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 9:35am
Investment is required but it has to be correct and thought through.

As much as an increase in coaches is needed.
The placement of these academics and matching infrastructure for all of this is of vital importance.

I’d go so far as to say they should nearly divide the country into regional academies to all access for all maybe 10/12 Max

I know of plenty parents of children playing games n these academics driving hours upon hours every week to bring children to academics training and games etc.
It must put an awful strain on families.

All this needs to be sorted before any investment is given in my opinion.
Luder View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 10:58am
Every organisation in the country is looking for funding from the government. You have to rise above the noise to stand a chance. It's also politcal of course, that's why the GAA, Rugby, horse racing etc do so well. They have good lobbyists and are connected to polititians on the ground. Football has been atrociously bad at it. I suspect there might be a bit of an inferiority complex about it here in Ireland. Yes, there's a class element to it too. But it's up to the FAI to get above that and come up with strategies to succeed. The govermnet will give money to groups if the polititians think it's in their interests to do so. It's up to the FAI to make that case by lobbying Sinn Féin, Fianna Fáil, Fine Gael etc. directly. But since the FAI is a complete fooking shambles it's absolutley no surprise the direction we're going.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 12:32pm
We need to come up with a coherent plan on how the academy set-up should look like.

20 clubs all having their own youth academy (at least elite level) is not realistic. 
Croatia have 4m people have 8 full time academies.
Portugal have 10m people and have 7.

So around 8 should be the target. 

We should be working on a model around where these academies should be located strategically, how they are tying into the LOI clubs and Schoolboy clubs and what is the overall financial model when they would ideally become money making industries through player sales, i.e. there is a distribution so all clubs in the football structure are getting their deserved piece of the pie. 

Lots of different ways you could propose how it could work. 
Politics both in football and at the local and national level are what is holding us back unfortunately! The adults need to grow up and get a move on with things. 

Be sure not to shut the door in the face of people canvassing in the next year for the different elections and rather raise the point about lack of funding in sport in general and football specifically given that we are falling into minnow status the longer it goes on. 

Edited by t_rAndy - Yesterday at 12:33pm
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 3:00pm
I’d say very few of us thought having an academy for each was a bad idea and wasn’t the done thing in Europe until that report came out.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 3:31pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

I’d say very few of us thought having an academy for each was a bad idea and wasn’t the done thing in Europe until that report came out.

I was one though didn't know it was the done thing in Europe. Assume it's similar to teams in the lower leagues in England. Why have a full-time academy when you can pick up players that drop out of top academies in the country.

Said the FAI should be focusing the resources into a full-time national academy than this pipe dream towards LOI academies.
nice triangles View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nice triangles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 3:48pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Good point, but I'd say the definition of an academy in most countries is a lot tighter than what most people think is an academy here. My guess is that if an Irish club had a underage teams from u-10 up to youths then they would have answered 'yes' if this survey asked if they had an academy.
However, in other countries the number of full time coaches employed and certain connections to local schools (where training and classes are aligned) are required to call yourself an academy. This is why Portugal 'only' has 7 academies and we have 24.

Edited by nice triangles - Yesterday at 3:49pm
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 4:16pm
As someone who has coached at a couple of LOI academies (still does) it's not sustainable for managers/coaches etc to put in the hours that they do week in week out for basically no compensation.

To put it into perspective, I was managing an u15 side last season and the season before and got €35 per week. 

Monday/Wednesday/Friday training and then a match on a Sunday. Taking into account that your away game could be in Limerick or Louth. This isn't including weekly zoom sessions, reviewing wellness planners, S&C, video analysis etc. 

UEFA A & B License cost over €2,000/€3,000+ each. Bar you're fortunate enough to have a club willing to either pay it in full or at least in part for you, it's basically costing you to coach.

I'm actually earning far more a week coaching a men's junior team on the side as well as doing private lessons. But if I was only doing LOI I would be paying for the privilege between fuel expenses and so forth to do it.  

Yet, in the midst of all the negativity surrounding football in this country if you go to most underage LOI games you will see that every club are trying to do the right things and be as professional as possible. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 hours 31 minutes ago at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Luder Luder wrote:

Every organisation in the country is looking for funding from the government. You have to rise above the noise to stand a chance. It's also politcal of course, that's why the GAA, Rugby, horse racing etc do so well. They have good lobbyists and are connected to polititians on the ground. Football has been atrociously bad at it.

That's why when the FAI said they were looking to build a centre of excellence for the Munster region in Glanmire they should have been looking to work with the University of Limerick instead.

Like they've got ready made facilities and when going to the government for funds it's not only the FAI but UL who've built a top class sporting campus.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 333435
  Share Topic