You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2020/2021 Europa League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 12:41pm
Ian Darke was incredibly patronising towards Villarreal, even by British commentator standards.
Sponsored Links

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

This is it.

I have a younger brother who supports United, he told me last night after the game that this season was a success as they had shown much improvement in the league. The truth of it is they were miles behind City and failed in every single cup competition, it’s embarrassing to see United fans count a trophy-less season as a success.

I really would like to know what Fergie would think of that mentality. What is forgotten is that Fergie could have a full secondary CV of achievements like that. Second place finishes in Division 1 and the PL, runners up medals in domestic and European cups, CL qualification without winning anything. But in his mind, these were just motivators, as they were inconsequential. 

Im not demanding that people replicate Fergie in terms of his successes on a like for like basis. But Fergie's legacy at United started by winning cups, before moving towards the bigger prizes. Trying to sell achievement in terms of league position and European Qualification, is like being a high level 'merry-go-round' man who joins clubs to salvage them from relegation. And in truth, Man United are better than that.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 1:52pm
Look i know this is United we are talking about but finishing 2nd in the Prem and losing the Europa Cup Final is getting better i would say .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Look i know this is United we are talking about but finishing 2nd in the Prem and losing the Europa Cup Final is getting better i would say .

They won the Europa League and came second under Mourinho.

The reason United were even in the final of the Europa League was down to their failings in the Champions League.

Edited by BrendanD88 - 27 May 2021 at 1:54pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

But there were nowhere near the title, fell out of the CL (as Brendan mentions) at the group stage, and fluffed the domestic cups. Their second place could be just as attributable to the horrendous dips in form suffered by Chelsea and Liverpool. Tuchel lost only a handful of games after being appointed.

Like I said, there is a narrative available to make this season a success. But, it was a season that ended empty handed.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

This is it.

I have a younger brother who supports United, he told me last night after the game that this season was a success as they had shown much improvement in the league. The truth of it is they were miles behind City and failed in every single cup competition, it’s embarrassing to see United fans count a trophy-less season as a success.

I really would like to know what Fergie would think of that mentality. What is forgotten is that Fergie could have a full secondary CV of achievements like that. Second place finishes in Division 1 and the PL, runners up medals in domestic and European cups, CL qualification without winning anything. But in his mind, these were just motivators, as they were inconsequential. 

Im not demanding that people replicate Fergie in terms of his successes on a like for like basis. But Fergie's legacy at United started by winning cups, before moving towards the bigger prizes. Trying to sell achievement in terms of league position and European Qualification, is like being a high level 'merry-go-round' man who joins clubs to salvage them from relegation. And in truth, Man United are better than that.

Hard to disagree with any of either of these posts. For all this talk of progress, it's the manager, along with the demanding board, who drive a winning mentality. Solksjaer just doesnt have it in him, and as well as he's done to create a more harmonious dressing room after Mourinho, United need to be looking for a manager who is a winner as a manager, not as a player.

If they don't, then this justification of failure becomes accepted. It's what was allowed to happen at Arsenal, and has happened at United since 2013. The reduction in value of winning even 2nd rate European trophies is ridiculous.

Scholes mentioned on BT that he wonders how much losing hurts the players and you could level that at the manager too.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Ian Darke was incredibly patronising towards Villarreal, even by British commentator standards.

A fantastic boxing commentator for Sky back in the day, but a brutal football commentator. 

Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

David De Gea has conceded his last 36 penalties, that is a shocking stat.

Ole at the wheel.
That’s crazy LOL

It's actually 40 penos he's conceded. Didn't save any against Russia in the last World Cup either.
His technique for the penalties was so bad. One thing any goalkeeper is taught is to make yourself big and stay up as long as possible. De Gea was crouched over with his hands by his side as every penalty was taken. Not to mention he went early for almost all of them and in 3 or 4 cases he was on the floor before the ball was kicked. Thats inexcusable for a top level keeper. Its literally the basics of goalkeeping.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Like I said, there is a narrative available to make this season a success. But, it was a season that ended empty handed.
Agreed. There is a terrible smell of Liverpool in the 90’s off them.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic