You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Salary Cap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flanno7hi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Salary Cap
    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 2:45pm
what's people's thoughts on this? 

L1 and L2 clubs vote in favour of a salary cap. I would like to see it introduced in non league too. Would do away hopefully with clubs being pumped full of money to move up the leagues whenb they have no fan base and no long term viability.
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi
Sponsored Links

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 3:20pm
Has upsides and downsides.

The upsides it stops future owners coming in buying small clubs and paying well over the odds above the average.

The downsides is the gap between L1 and Championship will be astronomically big from now it'll be very uncommon to see a newly promoted club do well in the Championship, it's hard enough as it is now but now it'll be even harder.

Would like to see it expanded into the Championship and EPL tbh.

Edited by coyne - 07 Aug 2020 at 3:23pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Flanno7hi Flanno7hi wrote:

what's people's thoughts on this? 

L1 and L2 clubs vote in favour of a salary cap. I would like to see it introduced in non league too. Would do away hopefully with clubs being pumped full of money to move up the leagues whenb they have no fan base and no long term viability.
The problem, as always, is that it won't be implemented properly and sugar daddies can get around it easier than well run clubs. It is always either the right idea rightly implemented or the wrong idea rightly implemented! All Football Associations, or all that I am aware of, are far more obsessed with money and being seen to do what is good for the game than the actual game itself.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 5:34pm
It's implemented from today PM!

But that's the major problem. Clubs haven't had the chance to re-finance for it.

The cap is £2.5 million a year, Sunderland are currently on £12.5 million which means they're signing nobody unless they go up and they're not the only club to be shackled by the instant implantation 
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 5:45pm
PFA are trying to get the salary cap overturned but not sure if they will be successful?
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

It's implemented from today PM!

But that's the major problem. Clubs haven't had the chance to re-finance for it.

The cap is £2.5 million a year, Sunderland are currently on £12.5 million which means they're signing nobody unless they go up and they're not the only club to be shackled by the instant implantation 
I don't think I alluded to it being simple at any other time, did I?

You're right about the time, but it is more how strict the league will be, and how vigilant the FA will be on the EFL, for it to work. As we have seen with many clubs flouting rules, not to mention the 'fit and proper person' stuff, that these rules are made to be broken or ignored.
You're also correct about the timing, which is ludicrous. The game needs proper governance, but football, as always, reflects the society it comes from.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 6:32pm
The EFL have zero control of what's going in football atm and are just letting the teams decide for themselves which is pathetic leadership at best.

They appear to have zero input on the rules, they had zero input on how the last season finished and they're currently letting any dodgy fraud takeover and ruin clubs, it begs the question, what are they actually doing?
I bet if clubs voted to change it to 5 a side football it'd probably go ahead they're that poor.

I'm still a bit bitter about Wycombe getting promoted as the statistics show they were the 2nd worst team in the league, by miles, 2nd worst goals scored, 2nd worst average chances, 2nd worst possession and the only reason they were 2nd worst is because Bury didn't play a f**king game last season LOL Even Bolton and their U18's they fielded for half a season managed better! But via football politics and sheer luck and lack of leadership from the EFL just letting clubs decide for themselves they've found themselves in the Championship ffs. Dead

Back on topic..
Whilst I'm in favour of a salary cap it needs to be across all pyramids of English football, you can't just be time-gated on how much you can spend, get promoted and come up against the big boys in English football, it's a nearly impossible task
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 6:59pm
It is a protective measure in the lower leagues. It would prevent distortion in the upper leagues. The almighty dollar is a problem in football, yet its not in the interests of the people involved to change it.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

The EFL have zero control of what's going in football atm and are just letting the teams decide for themselves which is pathetic leadership at best.

They appear to have zero input on the rules, they had zero input on how the last season finished and they're currently letting any dodgy fraud takeover and ruin clubs, it begs the question, what are they actually doing?
I bet if clubs voted to change it to 5 a side football it'd probably go ahead they're that poor.

I'm still a bit bitter about Wycombe getting promoted as the statistics show they were the 2nd worst team in the league, by miles, 2nd worst goals scored, 2nd worst average chances, 2nd worst possession and the only reason they were 2nd worst is because Bury didn't play a f**king game last season LOL Even Bolton and their U18's they fielded for half a season managed better! But via football politics and sheer luck and lack of leadership from the EFL just letting clubs decide for themselves they've found themselves in the Championship ffs. Dead

Back on topic..
Whilst I'm in favour of a salary cap it needs to be across all pyramids of English football, you can't just be time-gated on how much you can spend, get promoted and come up against the big boys in English football, it's a nearly impossible task

The EFL certainly are clueless and weak.
The PFA are saying the salary cap is illegal and they weren't even consulted about it.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 7:18pm
Awful idea. Players should strike. Great for owners, awful for players. Is this even legal?
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

It is a protective measure in the lower leagues. It would prevent distortion in the upper leagues. The almighty dollar is a problem in football, yet its not in the interests of the people involved to change it.

How does it protect National team leagues if it doesn't apply to them? Some dosser of a team like Billerciay can carry on thinking they're the football version of Eddie Hearn but if they ever reached L2 then the restrictions would come in place. It doesn't make sense.

The solution is either no salary cap or a salary cap across all pyramids;
x amount in the Premier League
x amount in the Championship
x amount in L1/L2
x amount in the National Leagues

But as it is right now it's unlimited in the EPL and Championship and National Leagues with a £2.5 mil cap in L1 and £1.5 mil cap in League 2, there's no proper consistency or structure there.

The PFA can do jacksh*t either, they represent the players and are quite frankly putting their nose somewhere it doesn't belong. Gordon Taylor is that annoying uncle everyone has who pops up every now and again and you wish he'd f**k off as soon as he starts talking.

Whew I'm on some rant today LOL

Edited by coyne - 07 Aug 2020 at 7:29pm
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 7:33pm
Would of thought it should be based on a percentage of your turnover.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic