You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weird/Controversial Football Matches

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davereilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weird/Controversial Football Matches
    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 6:05pm
Didn’t see any thread on this, so I thought I would get the ball running with this one:

1994 Caribbean Cup Qualification: Barbados vs. Grenada

Background: Barbados and Grenada faced off in the final match in Group A in the qualifications for the 1994 Caribbean Cup. This was the table before kick-off:

Pos Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
1 Grenada 1 1 0 0 2 0 2 3
2 Puerto Rico 2 1 0 1 1 2 −1 3
3 Barbados 1 0 0 1 0 1 −1 0

Barbados knew that they needed to win by at least two goals to qualify for the tournament, whereas Grenada knew that winning, or losing by less than one goal was enough.

The organisers of this tournament had two strange rules which are important to know:

1. Every match must have a winner (i.e. no draw)
2. Extra time has the golden goal rule, a golden goal scored will count as two goals. 

The game: Barbados controlled the game and managed to lead 2.0. However, in the 83rd minute Grenada were able to pull one goal back. Knowing that they needed to win by two, and scoring their vital goal would be difficult, Barbados remembered the strange quirk in the tournament rule where the Golden Goal counted as two, and determined that they had a better chance of winning if the game went to extra time, rather than pushing for another goal in the remaining seven or so minutes. In other words, Barbados realised it was in their interest to score into either goal.

Following the kick-off to restart the game, Barbados kicked the ball back to their goalkeeper, who played a short pass to one of their defenders. The two players continued to pass the ball to each other, until the 87th minute where the Barbados defender kicked the ball into his own net.

A baffled Grenada soon realised what was going on, and figured out that similar to Barbados just a few minutes ago, now they needed to score in either goal, since losing by one goal was enough for them. This led to the strangest football display where Grenada were trying to score into either goal, and Barbados were defending both goals.

The game finished 2-2, and went into extra time, where Barbados scored the Golden Goal and won the game 4-2, qualifying for the 1994 Caribbean Cup at the expense of Grenada.

Consequences: Barbados were not sanctioned by FIFA, since it was determined they were playing optionally under the circumstances. However, following the conclusion of the 1994 Caribbean Cup the rule that a Golden Goal was counted as two goals was scrapped.

Edited by davereilly - 30 Jun 2020 at 6:12pm
Sponsored Links

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by davereilly davereilly wrote:

Didn’t see any thread on this, so I thought I would get the ball running with this one:

Background: Barbados and Grenada faced off in the final match in Group A in the qualifications for the 1994 Caribbean Cup. This was the table before kick-off:

Barbados knew that they needed to win by at least two goals to qualify for the tournament, whereas Grenada knew that winning, or losing by less than one goal was enough.

The organisers of this tournament had two strange rules which are important to know:

2. Extra time has the golden goal rule, a golden goal scored will count as two goals. 

The game: Barbados controlled the game and managed to lead 2.0. However, in the 83rd minute Grenada were able to pull one goal back. Knowing that they needed to win by two, and scoring their vital goal would be difficult, Barbados remembered the strange quirk in the tournament rule where the Golden Goal counted as two, and determined that they had a better chance of winning if the game went to extra time, rather than pushing for another goal in the remaining seven or so minutes. In other words, Bahamas realised it was in their interest to score into either goal.

Following the kick-off to restart the game, Barbados kicked the ball back to their goalkeeper, who played a short pass to one of their defenders. The two players continued to pass the ball to each other, until the 87th minute where the Bahamas defender kicked the ball into his own net.

A baffled Grenada soon realised what was going on, and figured out that similar to Bahamas just a few minutes ago, now they needed to score in either goal, since losing by one goal was enough for them. This led to the strangest football display where Grenada were trying to score into either goal, and Bahamas were defending both goals.

The game finished 2-2, and went into extra time, where Barbados scored the Golden Goal and won the game 4-2, qualifying for the 1994 Caribbean Cup at the expense of Grenada.

Consequences: Barbados were not sanctioned by FIFA, since it was determined they were playing optionally under the circumstances. However, following the conclusion of the 1994 Caribbean Cup the rule that a Golden Goal was counted as two goals was scrapped.

Why was their 3 teams playing Wink LOL
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
davereilly View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davereilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

The game: Barbados controlled the game and managed to lead 2.0. However, in the 83rd minute Grenada were able to pull one goal back. Knowing that they needed to win by two, and scoring their vital goal would be difficult, Barbados remembered the strange quirk in the tournament rule where the Golden Goal counted as two, and determined that they had a better chance of winning if the game went to extra time, rather than pushing for another goal in the remaining seven or so minutes. In other words, Bahamas realised it was in their interest to score into either goal.

Following the kick-off to restart the game, Barbados kicked the ball back to their goalkeeper, who played a short pass to one of their defenders. The two players continued to pass the ball to each other, until the 87th minute where the Bahamas defender kicked the ball into his own net.

A baffled Grenada soon realised what was going on, and figured out that similar to Bahamas just a few minutes ago, now they needed to score in either goal, since losing by one goal was enough for them. This led to the strangest football display where Grenada were trying to score into either goal, and Bahamas were defending both goals.

Group of three
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 6:10pm

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Group of three

You refer to Barbados, Bahamas and Greneda in your post Wink
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davereilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 6:12pm
Damn it, I always mix them up. Edited **facepalm**
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 6:13pm
LOL

ChesterCopperpot View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChesterCopperpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 6:15pm
remember seeing a video of this for the first time, thought it was the most bizarre thing I'd seen in football

Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davereilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by ChesterCopperpot ChesterCopperpot wrote:

remember seeing a video of this for the first time, thought it was the most bizarre thing I'd seen in football

Jesus Christ! A video from FIFA about that game came up in my suggestions. Days before yellow and red cards...
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 6:51pm
Now i know this is a half story as it was played in Africa where the top two side were away for the last game of the season  but on the same points and only a couple of goal diff between them ,one won 0-37 and the other game ended 0-36 .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Now i know this is a half story as it was played in Africa where the top two side were away for the last game of the season  but on the same points and only a couple of goal diff between them ,one won 0-37 and the other game ended 0-36 .

It was in Scotland, not Africa.

On September 12th 1885 Arbroath beat Bon Accord* 36-0 whilst on the same day eighteen miles up the road, Dundee Harp beat Aberdeen Rovers 35-0

These were Scottish Cup matches, not league games.

*There is a long standing myth that Bon Accord were a cricket team who were accidentally invited to participate but recent research suggests that this is not true.

Edited by ErsatzThistle - 30 Jun 2020 at 7:20pm
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 9:26pm
Linfield v Donegal Celtic in 1990 was pretty controversial

I was at it as a 7 year old, which was quite scary 
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davereilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I don't know this game. Can you tell us the story?
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 1:15pm
They spoke of this game on Quickly Kevin - Mad stuff LOL
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 1:18pm

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I don't know this game. Can you tell us the story?

Linfield fan ran on and kicked a DC player
Riot broke out on the spion kop with the RUC firing plastic bullets at DC fans 
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davereilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 1:43pm
West Germany vs. Austria - 1982 FIFA World Cup – Group 2 Round 3 (The Disgrace of Gijon)

Note: I will probably use the terms West Germany/Germany and West Germans/Germans interchangeably here.

Background: West Germany went into the World Cup as red-hot favourites to win the tournament. So confident of victory, they only sent 19 players to the tournament, although each team were entitled to bring a squad of 22. In their first game they faced Algeria, playing in their first ever World Cup tournament, and considered to be the minnows of the group.

Before the first game, the Germans let their opponents know that this game was going to be a massacre. German manager Jupp Derwall told the press that if his side could not beat Algeria, he would take the first train home. One German striker said he would dedicate his seventh goal to his wife, and his eighth to his dog. Another player suggested that the German team could win the game will puffing cigars for the entire match.

Algeria made history and won the game 2-1, the first time that an African team had ever beaten a European team in the World Cup. Newspapers considered this result to be the biggest shock in World Cup history since North Korea beat Italy in 1966.

Before going into their final match of the Group Stage, West Germany knew that they needed to beat Austria to advance to the next stage of the tournament. Failing to win would result in Austria and Algeria qualifying, and a German win by more than two goals would result in them joining Algeria in the next stage, at the expense of the Austrians.

1 Austria 2 2 0 0 3 0 3 4

2 Algeria 3 2 0 1 5 5 0 4

3 West Germany 2 1 0 1 5 3 2 2

4 Chile 3 0 0 3 3 8 −5 0

Match: Austria vs. West Germany was a repeat of the 1978 World Cup Second Round Final Match, where Austria scored in the last minute to win the game 3-2 and eliminate West Germany from the tournament, the first time in 47 years that they had beaten their neighbours, and fans were hoping for another classic match.

The game quickly delivered and Horst Hrubesch kicked the ball into the Austrian net in the 11th minute. Very quickly afterwards Germany almost scored a second goal, but the close range shot was saved by Austrian keeper Friedrich Koncilia. After that however, the viewers were treated to anything other than a classic.

For the remainder of the first half both teams displayed an exhibition in passing, as like in that episode of The Simpsons. At half time, a German and Austrian player left the field arm in arm.

Algerian fans in attendance started waving money at the field, suggesting that some sort of collusion was going on. The second half of the game was similar to the first half, there were only three shots in the entire half, none of which were close to being on target. West Germany and Austria managed pass completion rated of 98% and 99% respectively, most of which happened in their own halves.

German and Austrian spectators started to turn on their teams, chanting slogans such as “Get out”, “Algeria, Algeria” and “Let them kiss” to their teams. The Austrian TV commentator urged those watching the game from home to change the channel, and as a protest, refused to even commentate for the remainder of the game.

The game finished 1-0 meaning that West Germany and Austria both qualified for the next round, at the expense of Algeria.

Aftermath: The Algerian FA immediately sent a complaint to FIFA, claiming collusion had taken place between the German and Austrian teams. FIFA carried out an investigation that took 3.5 hours in its entirety, before deciding that no evidence of collusion could be found. In an entire coincidence the then Vice President of FIFA, Hermann Neuberger, was also the president of the DFB (German Football Association).

German coaches wrote to the Algerian football team apologising for the match, this was not considered any evidence of collusion.

In an attempt to try and avoid the possibility of any similar scenarios, where both teams playing knew exactly what results would result in them qualifying for the next round of the tournament, FIFA changed the rules so that in the final round of the group stages in the World Cup, all teams in the same group will play their final matches at the same time.

Austria were dumped out of the tournament in the second group stage, whereas West Germany made it to the final where they were beaten 3-1 by Italy.

Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davereilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 7:46pm
Another one I just learned about. A football game that started a war https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W12vb_Crf00
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic