You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The EIRE's Top 10 Matches

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Crazy to think in 2009 if we had held on to beat Italy in Croke Park we still wouldn't of automatically qualified unless Italy lost at home to Georgia (Italy won with a last min goal but had qualified already) and we beat montenegro

Still would of went down as one of the great days in Irish football  

We only drew 0-0 with Montenegro and the Italian game your referring too was Cyprus not Georgia if Im not wrong. Crazy times my aul lad paid 300 quid for himself and my bro to go to the Italian game this was before the ST and you had to buy tickets for both games together and practically nobody showed up for the Montenegro game but the FAI already made there money. Martin Rowland came on in the Italian game and I remember saying who the fook is he and where is Andy Reid. 

Edited by irelandfan - 22 Jul 2020 at 3:35pm
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Sponsored Links

Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 3:46pm
Its Serbia's fault for topping the there group that year with France finishing runners up and then UEFA shat themselves at the thought of 2 big teams facing each other deciding to seed the playoffs and fecking us up 

That was a good campaign for us and small things cost us (and Henry the cheating so and so)
Deco79 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deco79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 3:59pm
The home game vs Northern Ireland in the 94 qualifiers where we won 3-0 was some performance in the first half from what i remember 
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 4:44pm
Its a shame that there is no footage of the 1956 game against Germany. Beating the world champions with 7 home based players hasnt got enough recognition in my opinion 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Deco79 Deco79 wrote:

The home game vs Northern Ireland in the 94 qualifiers where we won 3-0 was some performance in the first half from what i remember 

A powerful performance.We steamrollered them. The game was over by half-time. I think Staunton scored directly from a corner.

I watched highlights from the 0-4 Euro '96 qualifier against the north recently, and every goal was down to a goalkeeping error. I believe Paul Kees, a part-timer and coalman by day, who played for Ards, was in goal for them.

Flattered us.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 22 Jul 2020 at 5:13pm
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

My top 10 games based on footballing performance alone

1. Eire v Italy 1994
2. Eire v USSR 1988
3. France v Eire 2009
4. England v Eire 1991
5. Turkey v Eire 1991
6. Eire v Croatia 1998
7. Eire v Yugoslavia 1999
8. Spain v Eire 2002
9. Holland v Eire 2000
10. Poland v Eire 1991

What about the games before the 94 World Cup:

Beating the Germans 2-0 in Germany.
And the Dutch 1-0 away.

Being friendlies I didn't include them.  Brazil 1987 too and Holland 2004 etc...
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 5:21pm
Northern Ireland away 1994 was a good performance but they would have been considered much worse than us

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 5:54pm

Northern Ireland away 1994 was a good performance but they would have been considered much worse than us

Indeed. And yet they finished level on points with us, and a point better off than Austria who tonked us home and away. If they'd equalised at home to Latvia they'd have qualified directly, I think I'm right in saying.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Indeed. And yet they finished level on points with us, and a point better off than Austria who tonked us home and away. If they'd equalised at home to Latvia they'd have qualified directly, I think I'm right in saying.

Yeah that's right.  I think that says more about our radical collapse rather than their good form although they did tank Austria which was bizarre.

After that England friendly things went completely off the rails.  Drawing to Northern Ireland in Lansdowne was a disaster.  Injuries didn't help too for the rest of the campaign.  Roy Keane seemed to miss every match.

At the time and for years afterwards I assumed Jack was going to step down in Feb 1996 but was sacked before he got to 10 yrs exactly.   But it seems he was definitely thinking of staying on and havig a go at the World Cup qualifiers. (Certainly before Anfield anyway).

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 7:10pm

Yeah that's right.  I think that says more about our radical collapse rather than their good form although they did tank Austria which was bizarre.

After that England friendly things went completely off the rails.  Drawing to Northern Ireland in Lansdowne was a disaster.  Injuries didn't help too for the rest of the campaign.  Roy Keane seemed to miss every match.

At the time and for years afterwards I assumed Jack was going to step down in Feb 1996 but was sacked before he got to 10 yrs exactly.   But it seems he was definitely thinking of staying on and havig a go at the World Cup qualifiers. (Certainly before Anfield anyway).

Whatever about how Ireland's form deteriorated in the latter days of his reign, Jack was treated disgracefully at the end, as he described in his autobiography. He'd earned the right to leave on his own terms. And there were no upcoming competitive matches for months.

You're right about injuries. Roy Keane missed 8 of the 11 qualification matches - including the playoff - and played for United in, I think, 7 of the matches they played immediately afterwards.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 22 Jul 2020 at 7:15pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 7:17pm
Yeah he deserved so much better from the FAI.  Yeah Keane never seemed to miss many games when he was at Forest but went missing frequently when he went to United.  At least that's my recollection of it.

Wonder what would have happened had he stayed on for another campaign and brought in young players.
His last game at Anfield he had 4 full backs in the team and 2 aged strikers up front.

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 7:28pm
It would have been a disaster

The game had moved on significantly by his standards. He was clinging on to the jobs (method wise) due to the fact the stalwarts were still there. Houghton etc. 

It was a massive rebuild and he was a total spent force by 96. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 7:48pm
Things had probably run their natural course by Anfield. But Charlton was missing Keane, Staunton, Quinn, Kennedy, David Kelly and Coyne, and Sheridan was only half-fit, having only recently returned from serious injury. So options were slim.

Houghton and/or McAteer should have played, however.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

It would have been a disaster

The game had moved on significantly by his standards. He was clinging on to the jobs (method wise) due to the fact the stalwarts were still there. Houghton etc. 

It was a massive rebuild and he was a total spent force by 96. 

Yeah it probably would have ended in a Trap, MON-esque style last campaign.  But I maintain that we would have qualified for Euo 96 had Keane et al been available.

I remember Ronnie Whelan captaining us in 1995 against Liechtenstein.  We seemed to have only semi retired lads to pick from for a number of games.

Jeff Kenna, Alan Kelly never seemed to fit in.

Who would have come through for Jack in 1996 had he stayed?  Breen, Kennedy, Cunningham..

Edited by Trap junior - 22 Jul 2020 at 7:49pm

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Have

Its

Would have
It's 

It's 

It's 
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 10:12am

Toni fooken Polster Angry
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 11:08am

Yeah he deserved so much better from the FAI.  Yeah Keane never seemed to miss many games when he was at Forest but went missing frequently when he went to United.  At least that's my recollection of it.

Wonder what would have happened had he stayed on for another campaign and brought in young players.
His last game at Anfield he had 4 full backs in the team and 2 aged strikers up front.

I think it can be forgotten that the decline was rather gradual, and it didn't come as a bolt from the blue when we started losing games. Although the US Cup 92 wasn't really serious, it was the first time we lost games for some time that had any sort of competitive edge. Then there was the 3-1 defeat to Spain in Dublin, and the Denmark game in 1993 could have gone the same way given the manner in which the game panned out after their goal. While the Italy game in 1994 was breathtakingly brilliant, USA 94 was a fairly disappointing time, and we were very much "also-rans" in the tournament, even though we did well to break the group. If you watch the game in Windsor Park in November 1994 one of the major differences was the performances of both keepers. Apart from Sheridan's goal, you'd have backed Alan Kelly to save the other three goals we scored, which seemed to go through the keeper, and Kelly made several good saves when we were two goals up. The Portugal win proved to be a dead cat bounce, and after that the difficulties that cropped up two years previously against Spain, became the norm.

Funny, I think Charlton did have an eye on the future. He was actually engaging a rebuild of sorts, with the "Three Amigos", Kenna, and Kennedy. Alan Kelly also became the starting keeper in lieu of Bonner. He also had a relatively young Roy Keane available, which was seven players on which to build a team. The difficulty was, as has been said, the ongoing involvement of the more aged players (who incidentally, generally got a run with McCarthy (McGrath, Aldo, Cascarino, Houghton, Bonner all got capped by McCarthy, as did lads like Liam O'Brien). Charlton may have found it a little more difficult to dispense with them. Also, the draw against Lichtenstein should be construed as a product of the tactics employed, where 4-4-2 was persisted with, when there was an argument to be made for at least going 4-3-3, or if you were particularly forward thinking 3-4-3. If the same tactics were persisted with, it didn't necessarily matter who the players were, as the tactics might undo good work, anyway.

Also, what is forgotten is, is that it was a different time in management, and often it required 'amicable' discussions with managers to part ways, and you wouldn't suffer a few bad results, lose your job and be frogmarched from the building with a cardboard box of your things and a plant in a pot. Famously, Maurice Setters didn't agree that because Jack was going, it automatically meant he was gone too, and there was an ongoing dispute that went to the EAT in November 1996, and was settled. As such, I'm not sure what difference would have been made by waiting for an apparent inevitability, which may not have happened. While there was no competitive fixtures for several months, McCarthy got to test out his methods over 10 or so games, and against a large number of teams that were going to Euro '96, and at a time where friendly matches still had a slightly competitive edge. I also think, the extent of the needs of the rebuild only became clear during 1996-1997, and an extension of the Charlton years may not have started that as quickly as it needed. McCarthy deserves a lot of credit for identifying the needs of the team, and to an extent seeing that Charlton's plans for revolution, in terms of players, were not necessarily the way things ought to be.

Jack brought so many special days to Ireland, and put Irish football on the map, while engendering a very special love of the beautiful game in the country, but my recollection of events, 25 years ago, was the the consensus was the end of the line was reached. That being said, all should have been done to ensure that his exit was as mutually amicable as possible.
Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 4:06pm
TJ is back! must be decent 5G out at the roundabout. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic