You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Antiques

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Antiques
    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 5:59pm
Found a dagger buried in the wall in my attic, this the nearest i can find to it online ,http://https://www.theknohlcollection.com/portfolio/detail/bone-hilted-dagger/ , has anyone bought or sold stuff like this ?Might belong in a Museum ,
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
brianie View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 6:33pm
When i saw the Thread Title i thought it was about the Hornet and AidoTongue
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

Found a dagger buried in the wall in my attic, this the nearest i can find to it online ,http://https://www.theknohlcollection.com/portfolio/detail/bone-hilted-dagger/ , has anyone bought or sold stuff like this ?Might belong in a Museum ,
Previous owner the Frizls ? 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 7:53pm
buried in the wall? As in hidden? Sounds ominous LOL
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 7:58pm
Looking at the handle,it could be from the Inca’s
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 8:16pm
Have you got life insurance?
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Looking at the handle,it could be from the Inca’s
Great bunch of lads
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 9:25pm
it’s a Bosnian Bichaq Sarajevo Dagger ,on EBay for 400€-1900€ .

This knife and others were made at the end of 19th century.  They were often sold as souvenirs to officers of the Austro-Hungarian Empire who invaded Bosnia at the time.

reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 9:30pm
Nice find
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 10:27pm
Buried treasure Shocked
It would damage this forums' reputation
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 7:27am
Sent a few pictures to a Museum in Vienna to get it valued,the house is 70-80 years old,been renovated through the years I'm sure but the attic doesn't look like its been touched.

19th Century Bosnian Bichaq Sarajevo Dagger

The bichaq is a single-edged dagger of Turkish origin. It is widespread in areas controlled by the Ottoman Empire and its close neighbors. The blade of this knife is either straight, holds a slight forward curve, like a short yataghan, or very rarely a backwards curve, like a jambiya. This knife and others were made at the end of 19th century.  They were often sold as souvenirs to officers of the Austro-Hungarian Empire who invaded Bosnia at the time. The principal centers of production were Sarajevo and Foca.

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 10:24am
Great find i must say .
SL when are you taking the rest of the house down ?

Just thinking of a story my father told me when he was a young lad .
 He was working for this builder anyway they had to take a wall down in this house , they took the door frame down first and found gold " that's they way he put it " it was gold sorvereigns . Now the builder gave my dad a few shillings and told him to come back the next day . He never found out how many there were as the builder never told him .

Edited by Claret Murph - 15 Apr 2020 at 10:31am
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 11:05am
I was thinking if that,in search of nazi gold LOL, building a recording studio in the attic, the dagger was wedged in between a wall and a rafter.

CM -The builder probably retired after that job.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic