Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top memories supporting the Boys in Green

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 10:54am
Another sickener, one that I will never forget, was Carsley’s handball against Turkey. I knew then the game was up, straight after Keane had scored too.
Sponsored Links

Darren View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 11:25am
1 - Best memory supporting the Boys in Green :beating England Euro 1988 .
2 - Favourite match : as above
3 - Favourite player pre 2000, post 2000 (for the older lads) pre 2000- Paul McGrath / Kevin Kilbane
4 - Best goal/Favourite goal: McGeady v Georgia or Kennedy v Croatia / Houghton v England
5 - Best individual display in a match: McGrath v Italy and Dunne v Russia
6 - Match with best atmosphere: Holland away 2000
7 - Most impressive team performance (Home and Away) Holland 2001 France 2009 
8 - Favourite away ground : San Marino
9-  Most disappointing memory ( you can rank them) : losing Italy 1990 losing England 1980 all of Euro 2012 losing Cyprus 2006
10 - Worst refereeing decision against us:  Henry
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 12:22pm
1 - Best memory supporting the Boys in Green
        Stuttgart 1988 vs England. Early goal and the long long wait for the final whistle
2 - Favourite match
        As above
3 - Favourite player pre 2000, post 2000 (for the older lads)
        Paul McGrath
        Robbie Keane
4 - Best goal/Favourite goal
        Ronnie Whelan 1998 Euros vs Russia.
        John O'Shea vs Germany away with my son and daughter. He recorded the last few minutes
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysrtU-sb8C4
5 - Best individual display in a match
    Packie vs England Euros 1988
6 - Match with best atmosphere
        The next one
7 - Most impressive team performance (Home and Away)
        Beating Holland at Home with the goal from McAteer, Away to France in normal time 2009, we played so well and could have been 2 up before Le Cheat.
8 - Favourite away ground
        Lyon vs France, old school Moldova or Estonia.
9-  Most disappointing memory ( you can rank them)
        Holland  Euros 1988, Paris 2009
10 - Worst refereeing decision against us
        Henry Le Cheat Paris 2009
        vs Belgium in Bordeaux when Long was fouled and they broke away to score their first goal.

Edited by BohsinMunich - 04 Apr 2020 at 12:23pm
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

[QUOTE=Claret Murph] 1 - Stood behind the goal where David O'Leary scored the penalty in Genoa . Nothing in football has ever before or since could close to that moment .
2 - Favourite match
3 - Robbie Keane
4 - Robbie Brady in lille
5 -
6 -
8 - Wembley
9-  6-1 home defeat to Germany
10 - t**ser henry

Jesus Murph you mad a dogs dinner of that.   
[/QUOTE
Yep my boss just turned the corner and i hit post and closed down Ybig then looked like i was working . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
SeanPeadir View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanPeadir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 10:26pm

Euro 2016 - first tournament I’ve been to following Ireland. The mob of Irish fans wherever you turned on a matchday. Class atmosphere from start to finish. Paris and Lille games will live long in the memory.

2 - Favourite match

Wales in Cardiff - James McCleans winner. Bedlam.

3 - Favourite player pre 2000, post 2000 (for the older lads)

Roy Keane.

4 - Best goal/Favourite goal

Bittersweet but Duffys header against Denmark at the Aviva. For a brief moment I thought we were going to the World Cup. Everything was falling into place. 

Roy Keane against Holland WCQ.

The last 10 mins and post-game against Wales in Cardiff was special after McCleans winner but Italy in Lille was my favourite. The session outside the stadium prior to the game, great atmosphere in the ground, fairytale ending and then the fields of Athenry back at the main train station 👍🏻

We did pretty well against Spain in 2002 and should have won that game before penalties. Having Keane there would have made the difference.

Stade de France.

9-  Most disappointing memory ( you can rank them)

Christian Eriksen
Saipan 

Obviously the whole Henry saga.

Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 10:38pm
1989 beating NI 3-0 - celebrations on the south terrace as we knew we'd qualified for our first World Cup. Malta was a gimme.
2 - Favourite match -                                                            Ireland v Holland WCQ 2002 home - I seriously thought the West Stand Upper was going to collapse after we scored and at the end as we celebrated.
3 - Favourite player pre 2000, post 2000 (for the older lads)                  Roy Keane sensational and an inspirational leader.
4 - Best goal/Favourite goal -                                                             Mark Kennedy home to Yugoslavia ECQ 2000... scorcher!!
Roy Keane away to Cyprus 2002 WCQ
Kop End Anfield 1995 v Holland Euro '96 play off.
Away - v England Wembley 1991 ECQ 1992 totally dominated them one that got away.
Home - v Turkey won 5-0, weak opposition but we played superb that day from the off.
Ernst Happel Stadion was there for Trap's last game - not really for the ground just for the way the Austrians attended the match cycling through the park close by to the game - everybody seemed to arrive on bikes at the stadium.
9- Most disappointing memory ( you can rank them)
1) Being knocked out of Euro '88 and WC '90.
2) Beating Turkey away and being pipped by England for Euro'92 qualification.
3) Anfield 1995 the end of an era.
Tony Galvin v Russia was nearly decapitated in their box should have been a penalty, 1988 European Championships.
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 10:47pm
Alan McLoughlin's equaliser in Windsor Park. First tears of joy I shed watching Ireland. 
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 1:21am

1 - Best memory supporting the Boys in Green Ireland v Italy 1994 and O'Connell Street afterwards

2 - Favourite match Ireland v Italy 1994
3 - Favourite player pre 2000, post 2000 (for the older lads) Paul McGrath, Richard Dunne
4 - Best goal/Favourite goal Best: Mark Kennedy v Yugoslavia/Favourite: Jason McAteer v Holland
5 - Best individual display in a match Paul McGrath v Italy or Roy Keane v Portugal 2001
6 - Match with best atmosphere I'm tempted to say Malta 1989 which is the only one of the qualifiers in the glory days of 89/90/91 I attended but I'd have to go with Holland 2001
7 - Most impressive team performance (Home and Away) Home: Portugal 1995, Away Paris 2009 - Italy in New York is the most impressive performance I've ever seen by Ireland anywhere though.
8 - Favourite away ground Parken Stadium, Copenhagen
9-  Most disappointing memory ( you can rank them) 1. Failing to qualify for Euro '92 the night Lineker scored in Poland. 2. Holland in Orlando 1994 - a dreadful anti-climax. 3. Losing to Spain on penalties. Actually, the first half an hour against Spain in 1993 was nearly worse than any of them, but we got away with it ultimately.
10 - Worst refereeing decision against us - A Polish player being upended by Chris Woods when Poland were 1-0 up on England in the final Euro '92 qualifier, stonewall penalty but not given. Had the Poles gone 2-0 up with a quarter of the game left England weren't coming back.

Edited by sid waddell - 05 Apr 2020 at 1:23am
brissy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 3:26am
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Alan McLoughlin's equaliser in Windsor Park. First tears of joy I shed watching Ireland. 
i
brissy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 3:28am
In tolka park 94 going around drinking out of plastic cups of beer that I could find I was (very) young lol
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 5:53am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

[QUOTE=Claret Murph] 1 - Stood behind the goal where David O'Leary scored the penalty in Genoa . Nothing in football has ever before or since could close to that moment .
2 - Favourite match
3 - Robbie Keane
5 -
6 -
8 - Wembley
10 - t**ser henry

[/QUOTE
Yep my boss just turned the corner and i hit post and closed down Ybig then looked like i was working . 

And your working from home :) 
AKA pedantic kunt
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 2:27pm

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

2 - Favourite match
3 - Robbie Keane
5 -
6 -
8 - Wembley
10 - t**ser henry

[/QUOTE

And your working from home :) 
 Nope as you know Baldie i am medical staff , i save the world Big smile
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic