You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Isolation/working from home

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 151617
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

"Oh darling, don't for a moment think I am trying to come across as superior! Don't you know that some of my friends are in the arts! It's all so wonderfully bohemian."

LOL
@AntrimMan85
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Screens an issue for me as I'm working from my folks house at the min. At my gaff in London I had 4 screens set up and was going ok.

In the office I had 8. It's been an adjustment!
What the fook do ye need 8 screens for? LOL

2 Equities Risk systems, 1 Rates/ FX risk system, 2 spreadsheets, 2 Bloomberg and one for mails chats. 

Seeing the same with Andy on the hours. Averaging 13 hour days at the min Monday to Friday. Hopefully can get that back down.

Friend of mine who works in Hedge funds said some of the traders he knows have 12 screens and he said it was close to impossible to do their job with less than 6 Lamp
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Screens an issue for me as I'm working from my folks house at the min. At my gaff in London I had 4 screens set up and was going ok.

In the office I had 8. It's been an adjustment!
What the fook do ye need 8 screens for? LOL

2 Equities Risk systems, 1 Rates/ FX risk system, 2 spreadsheets, 2 Bloomberg and one for mails chats. 

Seeing the same with Andy on the hours. Averaging 13 hour days at the min Monday to Friday. Hopefully can get that back down.

Friend of mine who works in Hedge funds said some of the traders he knows have 12 screens and he said it was close to impossible to do their job with less than 6 Lamp

Yep. Some in our place have 9 or 12 depending on the config. I would doubt its impossible, but it makes a massive difference to your efficiency 
@AntrimMan85
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 7:54am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

What is killing me about WFH is that everyone else in my company is the same and it really makes a cumulative difference that a lot of people are still sending emails at half 6 and 7 at night whereas in the past they would be shutting down at half 5 and making the commute home. So even if you choose not to work late yourself the night before, you are still coming into a lot more emails the next day, which take time to answer and you only have enough hours in the day and it all builds up.

A lot more people working over the weekend too.

I would say the leaders in my company have probably got comfortable with the productivity they are getting from people during covid I wonder what it will be like when it goes back to normal. Will they have gotten so comfortable that they are expecting the same level of productivity that people are still feeling under pressure to put similar hours in too. 
I think it will be a tough transition back
can you not call/text them and tell them to f**k off with the out of hour emails?

Not really. I'm in a global role so get mails from around the world anyway, it's just people are spending a lot more time sending mails and ultimately creating more work to go around. When everyone is doing the same, it's just a build up for everyone. Everyone I talk to is in a similar boat too, its not just me. 
The official line from the company would be to still work your normal hours and take your breaks and holidays but the volume of work to get through it's been getting harder and harder to even take a half hour lunch.

They even brought in this thing where scheduling a half hour meeting in outlook's, the times slot would only be 25 minutes and for a 1 hour meeting it would be 50 minutes to allow time between meetings, but that has gone out the window too, everyone using the Full time so having to to go back to back to back in calls most days. Its a bloody killer at the moment. The missus the same in her job too. Thank god the kid went back to school today, at least that was something!

That's standard that mails come in at all hours.  I have sent and recieved mails at 3 am in the morning.   Just because its sent at that time doesnt mean it has to he replied to straight away.  You only see the mail when you log in anyway. 

Texts out of hours are bad form though.  With mails you can just not log in and if you have pull notifications rather than push notifications on your phone it doeant make a difference.

Why don't you just schedule the send for later in the morning? If that was our place they'd be called out on it pretty quickly I'd say 
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 11:53am
At the risk of angering Trig, I have a random question.

Anyone using a computer all day move from a mouse to a trackerball? Any good?

Also, open to recommendations for ergonomic keyboards......
@AntrimMan85
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 12:00pm

Trackerball and ergonomic keyboards , i am honest when i say i haven't  clue what these are Confused
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 12:12pm

Trackerball and ergonomic keyboards , i am honest when i say i haven't  clue what these are Confused

quality input there Murph.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

quality input there Murph.
LOL
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 12:52pm

Horizontal mouse and split keyboard if you are having trouble with wrists, and less masturbation with ur hands of course. If you figure out how to do it hands-free let me know. 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 1:07pm

Sorry but you'll have to disclose what you do for a living first before we can give any recommendations.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 151617
  Share Topic