You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How will the world be different post Covid 19?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 7:15pm
this is a long, thought provoking article with a lot of valid points that I would agree with (though behind a paywall).

A couple of interesting snippets below:

Quote  A report by Deloitte, the consultants, would not have provided much comfort to those who hope that the home working boom is a temporary Covid-19 phenomenon, and that all will return to normal once a vaccine is in circulation.

The report suggests rents will fall and vacancies in office buildings will rise as occupiers rethink their post-Covid needs to reflect more working from home, and in some cases employ fewer staff.

Large employers in Dublin "will no doubt seek to establish more permanent remote-working protocols and structures", the report predicts.

"This will ultimately reduce headcount... as more flexible working practices for staff become the norm and companies seek to reduce what is a large operating expenditure, reducing floor space requirements," Deloitte says.

Offices will not disappear, but some of them will serve a different function.

Peter Cosgrove, founder of the Future of Work Institute and a former director of the recruitment firm CPL, believes employees should be wary of remote-working initiatives.

"It helps organisations rather than employees," he says. "They can reduce real estate costs, and they find that certain people are no longer needed.

"I believe that in the next six months, there will be a huge number of job losses. It's a lot easier to fire someone you don't see than someone you do see. The reality is that the people who are more likely to be let go are those working from home."

He adds: "When companies find that they can get somebody to do the job one hour away, they'll consider if they can get somebody to do it 6,000 miles away for 20pc of the cost."

Most observers agree that a permanent result of the pandemic will be a growth of home working, but that does not necessarily spell the end of the office and a vibrant city centre.

Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 10:12pm
Not a positive sign and our reliance on the US MNCs for jobs here. Whilst they are still ‘committed’ to the Irish operations... it doesn’t mean the operations will indefinitely be carried out by an Irish-based workforce

Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 10:07am
I would say a lot of companies will stick to remote working as opposed to paying City Centre rents. The issue is when its remote work you can of course be anywhere.

That means Google for example can have a small office in Dublin and employ people worldwide. Their employees will then be paying income tax in the countries that they live as opposed to the 8,000 currently paying income tax in Ireland.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 10:09am
That'll result in many shops, cafe's, bars and other businesses in city centres going bust.
City Centre's will resemble boarded up ghost towns in some parts
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

I would say a lot of companies will stick to remote working as opposed to paying City Centre rents. The issue is when its remote work you can of course be anywhere.

That means Google for example can have a small office in Dublin and employ people worldwide. Their employees will then be paying income tax in the countries that they live as opposed to the 8,000 currently paying income tax in Ireland.

I think companies will become more flexible with working from home but it won’t be everybody working from home 5 days a week.

You need face to face contact and team collaboration etc
Anybody who has offshore teams will tell you the difficulties with this.

I can see the need for office space reducing as companies  will allow more flexible working conditions.

My company moved into a new smaller office (went from 5k to 3k) about 5 years ago and upgraded the infrastructure to allow flexible working - hot desks and everybody was encouraged to wfh 1/2 days a week. 

I can see more emphasis put on hiring the right people and probation periods. It’s more difficult to manage a team when people are wfh so you need to have more/better monitoring controls in place.

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 10:35am
I've been back in the office since Friday and can say it has a lot more benefits to working from home.

A mix of some days at home and some in the office would be best

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 10:37am
Would like to go back to the office for at least a couple of days a week.

Have a pain in me hoop with it now, although it has a lot of benefits too.

Can't see myself allowed back any time in 2020.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Huggybeer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggybeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 11:56am
Im hoping Revenue are getting red flags on this, already have lads gone home to European countries to work, still paying tax here, officially they can do that for 150 work days, then needs to pay tax in said country.
Allot of implications for companies, local pay rates, cost of living in different countries, essentially if i didnt have a kid in school i could work from a Greek island with good BB
Getting old and intolerant
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I've been back in the office since Friday and can say it has a lot more benefits to working from home.

A mix of some days at home and some in the office would be best

I've been in the office since the start but will be working from home one week and the office the next from next week.

Would prefer to be WFH full time.
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 11:14am
Worked from home on Monday after being out on Sunday. Did fook all. Skype for business not working on the laptops anymore so they couldn't even see if I was on line. Very busy Tuesday and Wednesday making up for it but my job really doesn't suit WFH. Any day I have to do it basically just sending emails and making a few calls then catching up in the office the next day.

Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
  Share Topic