You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HMO Rentals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HMO Rentals
    Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 3:43pm
Involved with these in the north through my work in the licensing end of it

Edited by bogball88 - 23 Jul 2019 at 3:43pm
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 3:49pm
Keep climbing that ladder Byrner Clap
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 6:09pm
And make sure you stay as obnoxious as possible on every step!
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 9:45am
grand
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Guppy Guppy wrote:

I
Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

grand

It’s not allowing me to send a private PM. Not sure why. 

Have you found much trouble over the years in comparison to a normal tenants usually a family. 

Also is it a simple affair getting a HMO license from the council? 

In my mock ups I’ve allowed for a 75% occupancy as I think in a 3 bed I can only be certain of two tenants at a time. 
Where is this?
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 12:37pm
what's a HM0?
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

what's a HOMO?
Shocked
Lostandfound View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lostandfound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 2:07pm
Her Majesty's Orgasm? 
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 2:31pm
Houses of multiple occupation. The rules and regulations are a bit different in england as opposed to the black north here. We have a few in our area mainly because Ulster University Jordanstown is in our district. It only qualifies as a HMO if there are 3 or more people living in the same house who are not related. Things you will need to ensure you have are things like fire escapes, fire doors, approapriate locking on exit doors (ie not keys), Gas certificates annually, electrical too, and an energy performance certificate among other things. Its not too onoerous in the north to be honest
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 4:12pm
Not sure how much it would cost, but i would imagine it would be that at the most. If you have 5 people you need 2 bathrooms. With regards to the Holylands and the purpose built accomadation, I believe that he Holylands will always have a high demand for relatively cheap accomadation as opposed to the more expensive purpose build. Lads and lassies from Tyrone and Armagh will always prefer to be close to the Hatfield and the Rose
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 10:39pm
What's the difference between renting a house and a HMO? 

Each to their own and I wish you all the best but I couldn't think of anything worse as an investment. I have an estate agent in our office space, where they manage properties. Nothing but hassles
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 11:16pm
A HMO is a property rented to 3 or more people who are not related, typically students
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 9:39am
So a house with mini flats in it? 

Jesus christ Guppy are you insane, renting to a load of students what could possible go wrong LOLLOL
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

What's the difference between renting a house and a HMO? 

Each to their own and I wish you all the best but I couldn't think of anything worse as an investment. I have an estate agent in our office space, where they manage properties. Nothing but hassles

If you've a three bed house, you'll make more money renting it to three single lads than you will to a family with three kids. The potential income is usually higher & the wear and tear (avoiding kids) is usually lower. The downside is the higher turnover of tenants as families with kids tend to be more stable than young professionals - there's an increased potential for lost rent for vacant periods. It's not exactly worth spending £5k to turn it in to a HMO in order to get 3x£300 per month instead of £800 from a family, if each of the rooms is empty for two months every summer. You can avoid that a little with individual twelve month leases & deposits, but it's still no guarantee you won't find yourself with empty rooms. Plus, if the individual tenants don't get on, it can be a pain in the hole to remove one and you'll end up having to take sides.

There are better pensions than it, anyway. It definitely takes a fair bit more managing than simply renting the whole house as one unit; you have to work to earn the extra rent. It's natural though: three tenants definitely require more interaction than one tenant, even if they are in the same house.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic