You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1990s FAI Badge Rights?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BazmanFoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1990s FAI Badge Rights?
    Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 1:54pm
Hey!

First time poster here. I was wondering if you guys know if the 1990s FA badge is still copyrighted? I know the YBIG guys use a version of it as their own logo and sell merch with it, so I'm thinking not?

The reason I ask, is I'm looking to make some Irish themed merch myself for a charity and would love to use the retro crest because it's so much nicer than the current official one.

Any help or advise is appreciated!

Edited by nvidic - 23 Jul 2019 at 4:26pm
Sponsored Links

newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 1:28pm
Not legal expert, me.  But I'm guessing not.

After all, you can't just copyright a simple shamrock, can you?  I thought this was the entire reason why the FAI changed there logo in 1991 to a design they could copyright.

Over to you, YBIG overlords; Has there been any heat from the FAI over your merch that features a version of the 1990 FAI logo?

Edited by newrynyuk - 24 Jul 2019 at 1:46pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Mikeire Mikeire wrote:

I think I prefer the latest badge 

LOL
It’s a f**king monstrosity!
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 2:29pm
Yes the 1990 badge has a copyright AFAIK as the fai and/or John Courtney (umbro\NB) had a problem with the ybig logo 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Yes the 1990 badge has a copyright AFAIK as the fai and/or John Courtney (umbro\NB) had a problem with the ybig logo 

Change the design by 15% and you are ok
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

Not legal expert, me.  But I'm guessing not.

After all, you can't just copyright a simple shamrock, can you?  I thought this was the entire reason why the FAI changed there logo in 1991 to a design they could copyright.

Over to you, YBIG overlords; Has there been any heat from the FAI over your merch that features a version of the 1990 FAI logo?

It's been done with a harp so why not?
The dark side.. And the light
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 9:41pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

LOL

In 15 years everyone will say how great it was. I remember people not liking the 90s one and now it’s art

They won't, and if they do they are f**king blind! Words cannot describe how bad it is. It is awful.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 11:31pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

LOL

In 15 years everyone will say how great it was. I remember people not liking the 90s one and now it’s art

Ah Mike, its absolutely chronic...a failed effort to look modern that looks like a cheap job done on ms paint
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 11:44pm
BazmanFoo View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BazmanFoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 6:11am
That looks pretty conclusive anyway, cheers lads!

Wonder if YBIG have had any difficulty?
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by BazmanFoo BazmanFoo wrote:

15% change is required. Ybig changed the design by 20% so that there was no room for any hassle with a sports brand who have never used that logo before.
The Big Toe Area View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Big Toe Area Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 5:14am
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Originally posted by BazmanFoo BazmanFoo wrote:

15% change is required. Ybig changed the design by 20% so that there was no room for any hassle with a sports brand who have never used that logo before.

Umbro did put it on some stuff a good few years ago, but it is a joke if Toplion or whoever have any say over it given the sh*te they have been producing for years for Ireland.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic