Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Irish league thread.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Irish league thread.
    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 6:09pm
Couldn't find one so created this.

Glentoran get some heavy investment -
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/irish-league/glentoran/glentoran-1m-takeover-completes-to-herald-new-era-at-oval-38286123.html

Larne who won the Championship appear to be bringing in some strong players.

Fuad Sule who was a good player for Bohs recently signed for them from Barnet.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 7:08pm
I heard a few weeks ago that the big financial backers were pulling out of Larne?
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I heard a few weeks ago that the big financial backers were pulling out of Larne?
Really?

I know this is 9 months old, but this gives a flavour of what their plans are, and they seem to be there for the long haul:

Maybe someone is confusing Larne with LA? (A first if ever there was one! LOL)

Edited by Territorial - 05 Jul 2019 at 8:44pm
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 11:33pm
Yeah, a friend who works in same industry as purple bricks and who’d be clued in with these things said they were pulling out 

First I’ve heard of it

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 05 Jul 2019 at 11:34pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Yeah, a friend who works in same industry as purple bricks and who’d be clued in with these things said they were pulling out 

First I’ve heard of it

It must be possible that Purple Brick's present financial difficulties will lead to Ronnie Bruce pulling his investment in Larne FC.

But it need not be so, for the following reasons. First, it is Ronnie Bruce's own pet project. That is, brother Michael, who is the lead figure at PB (and being edged out?) is not involved with the football club.

And at the time of the flotation (Dec.2015), they cashed in £20m in shares for themselves, whilst their remaining holding was valued at £50m. Of course, that holding has now slumped in value, but neither can be short of a bob.

Meanwhile, much of what RB has said/done re Larne has been long term, i.e. not just splashing money on players (which he has). He's also spent significant money on Inver Park when, as he's said himself, he could just as easily have demolished it to build flats and moved the club elsewhere (or let it die):
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/life/features/larne-fcs-millionaire-purplebricks-founder-on-proving-the-doubters-wrong-and-making-football-club-biggest-in-the-land-37494893.html

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/larne-fc-story-hard-believe-15199705

So who knows how much he is prepared to spend on the club - maybe up to £5m? Whatever the figure, he probably has it salted away, even if PB goes belly up.

And in any case, whatever your friend has heard, from what I can see it has yet to leak out into social media, the press, or to the fans etc, which is unusual for a wee place like NI.

Anyhow, despite not having any attachment to Larne (club or town), I hope for the sake of football in NI generally that he's not just another fly-by-night, and really will prove up to taking them into the 21st Century on a higher level.

Not least, with a mini-revival at Ballymena, Glenavon, and even Coleraine, it's good for the game if the provincial sides don't get left behind by the bigger Belfast clubs, esp if the Glens should finally get back to where they should be under their new investment.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 7:29pm
Great away win for the Reds to go too of the league, a five team title race should be an interesting watch. I'm sure Tel will enjoy an extra can of Harp tonight after the result in East Belfast. 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 12:03am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Great away win for the Reds to go too of the league, a five team title race should be an interesting watch. I'm sure Tel will enjoy an extra can of Harp tonight after the result in East Belfast. 

Yee Ha!

FTB!

Seriously, FTFB! Thumbs Up
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2020 at 4:24pm
Linfield knocked out of the cup by QUB Shocked
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2020 at 5:02pm
The Sadlers's Peaky Blinder's Irish cup. 
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 5:22pm
A Warrenpoint player jumped into the Ballymena crowd and had a fight. I was just watching final score, some scene to see. The advertising board fell down in the middle of the game.

Edited by Jackal - 01 Feb 2020 at 5:24pm
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 4:53pm
Lads, is final score gone?
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

Lads, is final score gone?
For now yes. Highlights all on BBC Sport site from Sunday 
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 10:19pm
Great ending in Windsor tonight.....😀

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 03 Aug 2021 at 10:19pm
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic