You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Connor Ronan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 181920
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by IrishCanadian IrishCanadian wrote:

Good move, would love to see more of our lads in MLS. Good standard league with some very technical football with the bonus of getting the chance to play with World Cup winners and players with experience at the very highest level. Far better than mid-table SPL or League One sides. 

Colorado is an amazingly beautiful place to live too. The rapids typically aren’t the strongest side but they’ve got a good coach. 

If the FAI are incapable of watching video tapes from outside of the UK then we’ll continue to be f**ked anyway so he may as well just go enjoy his life. 

Especially at a club where the executive VP and General Manager is a former FAI employee. Should be handy enough getting onto the club for video analysis of the lad.
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

All this lad needs is playing time - he's done very well at every club he's been loaned to, and was exceptional at U21 for us.

I would not be writing him off at all.  

Also, I said it when he was 20, he's the closest thing to Wes that we have - the type of player we've a bit of a dearth of.  Probably still is.

Similar to Wes, I could see him start to make more of an impression in the senior fold in the second half of his 20s.  
I'm assuming the reason no Championship clubs have shown interest is because he didn't pull up any trees in his previous loan stints in League One. Slovakian league is rubbish. Think the Swiss second division is the other level he played at. So basically it's the St Mirren spell that would be his biggest bargaining chip but, as we've seen with McGrath, it's difficult to judge the level of players impressing at smaller clubs in Scotland.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by 84ccfc84 84ccfc84 wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

While the MLS is better than SPL/L1 (mid-range Championship is probably a fair assessment) I still don't think it's a great move. You're out of sight out of mind in America, even if the standard is better than the leagues some of his other options play in.

its 2023, how is he out of sight out of mind?

Because no one really watches anything outside of British football here, that's the reality. It would would also be easy to find streams for Indian league games in 2023, it doesn't mean anyone is going to do that.

Cullen is a great example of this, the Belgian league would have been exceedingly easy to watch, but I'd hazard a guess that only 1-2% of Irish football fans actually bothered their *rse watching Anderlecht even once while he was there.

Anyway, I'm just not convinced by the move. He's a good player who has done really well everywhere he has went on loan, in fact he was outstanding in his last few loans in Slovakia, Switzerland, and Scotland - so a move to a more visible league than the MLS would have been preferable.
We're decent enough..
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 8:15pm

Originally posted by 84ccfc84 84ccfc84 wrote:

While the MLS is better than SPL/L1 (mid-range Championship is probably a fair assessment) I still don't think it's a great move. You're out of sight out of mind in America, even if the standard is better than the leagues some of his other options play in.

<div id="highlighter---tools" style="display: none;">
    <div id="highlighter---tools--container">
        <div ="highlighter--icon="" highlighter--icon-copy"="" title="Copy">
        <div ="highlighter--icon="" highlighter--icon-change-color"="" title="Change Color">
        <div ="highlighter--icon="" highlighter--icon-delete"="" title="Delete">

its 2023, how is he out of sight out of mind?

Because no one really watches anything outside of British football here, that's the reality. It would would also be easy to find streams for Indian league games in 2023, it doesn't mean anyone is going to do that.

Cullen is a great example of this, the Belgian league would have been exceedingly easy to watch, but I'd hazard a guess that only 1-2% of Irish football fans actually bothered their *rse watching Anderlecht even once while he was there.

Anyway, I'm just not convinced by the move. He's a good player who has done really well everywhere he has went on loan, in fact he was outstanding in his last few loans in Slovakia, Switzerland, and Scotland - so a move to a more visible league than the MLS would have been preferable.

Well aren't we lucky then that the fans aren't the ones that scout and analysis the players for the national team. They'll have some employed that will do all that.
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 6:31pm
Ronan's move to Coloraso Rapids confirmed.
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 9:42am
He's had one of the craziest career paths that I can think of in recent times.
Aaron1930 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron1930 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

I'm assuming the reason no Championship clubs have shown interest is because he didn't pull up any trees in his previous loan stints in League One. Slovakian league is rubbish. Think the Swiss second division is the other level he played at. So basically it's the St Mirren spell that would be his biggest bargaining chip but, as we've seen with McGrath, it's difficult to judge the level of players impressing at smaller clubs in Scotland.

He had a fantastic spell in St. Mirren to be fair. McGrath was the only Buddies player I'd have known when I went to watch them play Aberdeen (h) 1-0 and Hearts (a) 2-4 last season. Ronan was brilliant. Scored the winner v Aberdeen and a screamer v Hearts in the Cup quarter final. Would recommend looking up the goal v Hearts if you haven't seen it. People can be dismissive of Scottish football all they want, but that's Craig Gordon in the goalLOL
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 8:45am
Assisted all three for the Rapids in a 3-1 win over LA Galaxy last night.

Edit - actually it was two assists and the other was a through ball but not the final pass. All three goals can be viewed on @BrendanPloen twitter page. MLS looks as slow paced as ever I see.

Edited by You Tell Me - 07 May 2023 at 8:59am
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 12:43pm
Goal (peno) and a MotM performance for Connor yesterday in the MLS. Dark horse for a call up?
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 6:21pm
Another assist for Ronan yesterday albeit in another defeat for Colorado Rapids. He seems to be going well over there, his team not so much!
Idah Dream!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 4:04pm
Won Colorado's POTS award. Seemed to be one of their few bright sparks this year.
We're decent enough..
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 4:29pm
The 2023 Rapids Fan Favorite award goes to Connor Ronan.
The Rapids Players’ Player of the year also goes to Connor Ronan!
The trifecta for Ronan. He’s the first Rapids player to record double-digit assists since 2018.

Fair play to him, Rapids did have a desperate season however. It would be interesting to see where he would fit in if he came back across the Atlantic. Our midfield isnt the highest bar!

Idah Dream!
Shermanator1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shermanator1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 4:59pm
I've made it a point to catch a few of his games.  He's a solid and sound presence in the midfield.  Decent enough speed, good physicality, and has the vision to pick a pass.  Considering the current lot, there's no harm in giving him a look.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 6:26pm
Unfortunately being MVP at Colorado Rapids is about the equivalent of being player of the season at Fleetwood Town. Hopefully he can get himself to a higher level of the game at some point in the next few years, fair play to him for being willing to travel the world to play, but for the most part it's been at a terrible standard of football.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 181920
  Share Topic