Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Super duper monster transfers Summer 19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Best summer signing?

Rodri - Man City?
Tierney - Arsenal?
AWB - Man U?
Ndombele - Spurs?
Heeeead - Man U? 

Surprised that Arsenal spent the most.
Without being biased I think Spurs has the best. Only lost Trippier but got 3 good players in.

Not sure how to define best summer signing but certainly one of the clubs who have made the shrewdest number of signings is Brighton. Among the new arrivals Mooy, Trossard and Maupay stand out as players who could have a significant impact on their survival. In fact I don't see them anywhere near the relegation spots come May. One other important signing is Potter. Expect a radically different style of play from the seagulls this season with Montoya and March bombing on from their wingback positions.

At the other end of the scale is Everton. A scatter gun approach from them in the transfer market. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Silva is bulleted before the end of the season. 
one swallow does not make a summer but... that was quite a result for Brighton today. 

Edited by colemanY2K - 10 Aug 2019 at 5:29pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 9:48am

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Best summer signing?

Rodri - Man City?
Tierney - Arsenal?
AWB - Man U?
Ndombele - Spurs?
Heeeead - Man U? 

Surprised that Arsenal spent the most.
Without being biased I think Spurs has the best. Only lost Trippier but got 3 good players in.

Not sure how to define best summer signing but certainly one of the clubs who have made the shrewdest number of signings is Brighton. Among the new arrivals Mooy, Trossard and Maupay stand out as players who could have a significant impact on their survival. In fact I don't see them anywhere near the relegation spots come May. One other important signing is Potter. Expect a radically different style of play from the seagulls this season with Montoya and March bombing on from their wingback positions.

At the other end of the scale is Everton. A scatter gun approach from them in the transfer market. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Silva is bulleted before the end of the season. 
one swallow does not make a summer but... that was quite a result for Brighton today. 
It certainly made my Saturday night!
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 12:25am
A lot of these super duper monster transfers appear to be ending up as loans with option or commitment to buy. Would love to read a piece on way that type of transfer is becoming more prevalent for these huge deals
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

A lot of these super duper monster transfers appear to be ending up as loans with option or commitment to buy. Would love to read a piece on way that type of transfer is becoming more prevalent for these huge deals

At least some of these are football's equivalent of "easy payment terms" - see Arsenal as a prime example.

That is, the buying clubs can't afford to pay big fees up front, with wages to match, and so are staggering the payments over the length of the contract against future receipts from TV, sponsorship and European prize money etc.

This is esp so for clubs from Spain and Italy who I'm sure are hitting the club credit card hard to try to keep up with EPL clubs who are finally making the most of their financial advantage on the field.

Meanwhile, though English clubs are better able to pay "money down", the way Sterling has fallen against the Euro and Dollar recently means they've had to take a 10-15% cut to their spending power this window as well.
(Another reason why English/homegrown players are currently so sought after, therefore expensive)

Edited by Territorial - 20 Aug 2019 at 1:46pm
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

At least some of these are football's equivalent of "easy payment terms" - see Arsenal as a prime example.
Apologies for quoting own post, but I see Stan Kroenke's wee lad is bumming to the media about how successful their signing processes have been this window. Apparently their EL Final stuffing told them they needed to act (didn't mention the fan protests, though).

Anyhow, as this BBC article points out, their "spree" wasn't quite what it seems:

"It was understood that missing out on Champions League qualification would leave Arsenal with a transfer budget of roughly £45m in addition to any income they could generate.

Although the signings of Gabriel Martinelli, Dani Ceballos (loan), William Saliba, Nicolas Pepe, Kieran Tierney and David Luiz cost well in excess of £100m, much of that outlay will be paid by way of instalments over the course of their contracts.

Meanwhile, money was recouped via the sales of Alex Iwobi, Krystian Bielik, Laurent Koscielny, David Ospina, Dominic Thompson, Xavier Amaechi and Carl Jenkinson, Eddie Nketiah's loan and sell-on clauses related to Ismael Bennacer and Jeff Reine-Adelaide."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49401513

As I suggested elsewhere, Emery/Arsenal are clearly gambling future transfer funding on qualifying for the CL this season.

If they don't make it - though MU and Chelsea could certainly help them - then there may not be too much left in the kitty next season?

And Emery has a record of not sticking around too long at any club.

HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 1:02pm
Looks like Icardi is off to PSG on loan for the season. Tuchel must be f*cking delighted to be in that dressing room, Neymar staying and now this headbanger coming in LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
  Share Topic