Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Under-19s Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 10:57am
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Unfortunately today was a bridge too far for our lads, playing their fourth game in 10 games in 37 degree heat against the holders and favourites, Portugal.  Portugal represent the pinnacle of the game at this level, with Porto the current Youth Champions League champions, so no shame in losing to them.

In a tournament in which Ireland were missing up to 16 players (including 13 "first-teamers" that played in the qualifiers) and then had their captain and top scorer suspended for the semi, it was asking too much. 

Nonetheless, out of 54 teams, they made it to the last 4 in Europe.  They can certainly be extremely proud of their performances and we should be proud of them, the management team and the schoolboy clubs that brought these lads through.  

It seems that despite all the problems in football administration generally, there is something very right going on in the basics of coaching and set-up at an underage national level.  Unbeaten in the U17 Euros, group topping semi finalists at u21 in Toulon and now semi-finalists at U19 despite the heat, withdrawals, suspensions and ineligibilities. 

Credit where credit is due.

Incredible work under the guidance and direction of our leader John Delaney.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sponsored Links

Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 11:19am
Well said LAR
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 9:53am
Qualifying group for the 2021/22 qualifying drew us in this pot (from Pot 1, great stuff!):

Ireland
Bulgaria
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Montenegro

Top two and the best 3rd team go through to the elite round so we have to be confident but it looks like one of the harder groups.

If In recall, the last U19's games were poor, where we had a few red cards and underperformed.
But I feel we have very strong player-options at this age group so I'm looking forward to getting these games back on and see where we stand.
Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 10:39am
is it not Poland, Bosnia and Estonia
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Frabhoy Frabhoy wrote:

No:

Should be challenging games but we've a lot of talent bubbling below the U21 level that can play for us in these games so I'd be excited about them.

EDIT
Here's all the pots:
https://www.uefa.com/under19/news/0263-10c832651db3-90ea5ea3d899-1000--2021-22-u19-qualifying-round-draw/?iv=true

Doesn't start until August 30th, 2021.

Edited by Fozz - 09 Dec 2020 at 10:52am
Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Originally posted by Frabhoy Frabhoy wrote:

No:

Should be challenging games but we've a lot of talent bubbling below the U21 level that can play for us in these games so I'd be excited about them.

Apologies, just seen on facebook. Definitely some tough games there. I'm not too sure on the talent pool. Will the player base be 2002 born?
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 10:57am
I'm no expert on the ages but I believe you have to be 19 or under on Jan 1st of the year the comp starts.
So that would be anyone born on or after Jan 1st, 2002.

I'll be happy to be corrected on this.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 10:59am
I think it's for players born from 1/1/03 onwards. I'm not sure that we have the same depth of talent at that age group as we have had in the 1998 to 2002 age groups. Although that might be that we have the quality there but we just haven't seen it yet because of all the tournament cancellations due to Covid.

By the way this seems to be the draw for the 2022 competition. Before then we will have the 2021 competition for the 2002 age group. We seem to be in with Poland, Bosnia and Estonia in the group with the qualifiers taking place in March.

Edited by You Tell Me - 09 Dec 2020 at 11:08am
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 11:12am
We have some very good talent at that age, just off the top of my head we have lads like Evan Ferguson, Zefi, John Ryan, Sean Roughan, Ollie O'Neill, Lee Harkin, Sinclair Armstrong, Ben Quinn, Ben McCormack, Anselmo McNulty, Caden McLoughlin and maybe even John-Joe Finn. 

Some are eligible for younger age but are playing Senior football already so may make the step up.

The talent coming through the last few years seems to be getting stronger every year, great work being done at underage level.

Edited by JoxerDaly - 09 Dec 2020 at 11:18am
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 11:23am
the only thing is that these players are going to need to be spread across the four age groups that have qualification tournaments next year. Take Kevin Zefi for instance - he was born in 05 so does he stay with the 05 under 17s, does he go with the 04 under 17s, or even the 03 under 19s? There will be so many qualification tournaments that our resources are going to be spread quite thin. It will be great in terms of getting a look at the emerging talent we have though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
  Share Topic