You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Learning a new language

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Stalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Learning a new language
    Posted: 22 May 2019 at 12:06am
Rosetta Stone is good but nothing beats real-life practice also. Look up conversational Spanish classes near you, these can be formal and informal. Or a spanish person near you who wants to improve their English might be very happy to recoiprocate with Spanish conversation
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 12:39am
Norwegian is supposed to be the easiest language to learn. You'd never use it.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 6:55am
Originally posted by Joe Stalin Joe Stalin wrote:

Rosetta Stone is good but nothing beats real-life practice also. Look up conversational Spanish classes near you, these can be formal and informal. Or a spanish person near you who wants to improve their English might be very happy to recoiprocate with Spanish conversation
I am about a year and a half into Italian using Rosetta Stone , now I get frustrated with it to be honest .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 7:02am
Have found the DuoLingo app useful for improving my level of Irish, was decent at it in school but that's nearly 15 years ago. Also using it to learn Spanish. It can be repetitive at times but I suppose that's the best way to make it stick.

It's not going to make you fluent but it's a very useful resource to have.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 7:56am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by Joe Stalin Joe Stalin wrote:

I am about a year and a half into Italian using Rosetta Stone , now I get frustrated with it to be honest .

Circolo nautico ? 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 9:11am
Originally posted by Guppy Guppy wrote:

Anyone any tips? 

Dropped Spanish and French in school when I was 14, claiming I’d never need them. Ironically at 20 ended up in Spain for a few years. Ever since then vowed to learn the language. 

Downloaded a few apps on my phone to play around with at work, is it worth investing in Rosetta Stone? Etc

Have you just tried shouting slowly in English ?
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 10:35am
i massively recommend the michel thomas CDs , 
you can buy them second hand online , 
the german one really helped me , i reckon his others are just as good. 

it wont help you with the written , there is no substitute for classes and doing homework to help your writing , but its really good for speaking and comprehension to get you started 

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic