You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

European Elections 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 9:27pm
You won't be saying that when you see this clown in action. She talks awful sh*te. Wonder will she give up her council house now? 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by LO SCIENZIATO LO SCIENZIATO wrote:

You won't be saying that when you see this clown in action. She talks awful sh*te. Wonder will she give up her council house now? 
Why would she have to give up her home?
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Can you live in a council house on 2,000 euro a week?
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Can you live in a council house on 2,000 euro a week?
Comfortably, I would imagine.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 11:29pm
I think (and am open to correction on this) but if you get onto the housing list, you won't be removed unless you actually buy a house of your own or if your income rises above a certain level, for which there are a large number of deductions, including the number of children you have and things like that. Once you are in a council home, you pay rent based on your income. Now there's maybe an argument that the levels of rent at higher incomes are not reflective of what similar rent / mortgage costs would be for a private tenant or owner, but that's a separate argument.

There is provision for removing someone from the housing list because they no longer meet the criteria; there is no provision for removing people from social houses because they no longer meet the criteria. There is logic in that position too, because of the obvious upheaval it would cause to people who earn just above the threshold, plus the obvious potential for poverty traps, where people are discouraged from asking for a raise in their work for fear it would cost them their homes and actually make them significantly worse off. For example, say the threshold is that your earnings have to be less than €30k, and you earn €29k, paying the council rent of €8k, and a raise to €32k would cost you your home and see you in the private rented market paying rent of €16k, you simply aren't going to ask for a raise. You can argue that someone on €100k should be paying a bit more than maximum council rent, sure, but I'm not so sure you can argue that anyone should lose or even voluntarily give up their home because they've started to earn a bit more.

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Small debate re-emerging about e-voting.

16 years on it’s a debate worth revisiting.

It is moreso emerging because of the size of the constituency and the sheer number of votes, not to mention the number of candidates and counts. The odd extra Brexit seat thing also caused some difficulty which is not going to be an issue come the next Euro election, one way or another. There was no real call for e-voting in the locals or in any of the recent Dail elections; it is all Euro count related here.

The cost of manufacture, transport, storage and updating of e-voting machines is not insignificant and I'd imagine it would not be dissimilar from the cost of ballot boxes and hiring a leisure centre for a few days every couple of years for whatever election is necessary.

The one thing that really should have seen major calls for it was the second divorce referendum but for whatever reason that didn't happen.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 05 Jun 2019 at 11:32pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 12:06am
Correct. She was given a council house because she was (presumably) entitled and in need of it. She may well want to move out now, but she shouldn't be forced to. Any housing shortage in Waterford is unlikely to be her fault.
The comments about her home grate on two levels:firstly, this modern obsession with 'property' and 'property ladders'. She has a home, it would be natural to become settled in it.
Secondly, there is clearly a classist element to it. Who does  this uppity woman from the estate think she is?
The ridiculous wages only seem to be an issue because she is poor. Maybe she will blow them all on hookers and coke, or whatever the vegan alternative is; dolphins and quinoa?
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 9:07am

Correct. She was given a council house because she was (presumably) entitled and in need of it. She may well want to move out now, but she shouldn't be forced to. Any housing shortage in Waterford is unlikely to be her fault.
The comments about her home grate on two levels:firstly, this modern obsession with 'property' and 'property ladders'. She has a home, it would be natural to become settled in it.
Secondly, there is clearly a classist element to it. Who does  this uppity woman from the estate think she is?
The ridiculous wages only seem to be an issue because she is poor. Maybe she will blow them all on hookers and coke, or whatever the vegan alternative is; dolphins and quinoa?

so you have no problem with someone earning €105k a year plus expenses pay a capped rent amount to the council every month that is not in line with the market value of rent? 
i'd be in favour of her vacating the house and putting a working family on the list into the property. Wasn't so long ago she was living in a tent with penguins as neighbours! 
we have a huge problem in this country! we have people given council houses 20-40 years ago that didn't pay a penny for them but yet still live in these properties enough though all their families have grown up and moved on. they should be f**ked into state owned retirement villages and not let out on election day to vote for fianna fail or Fine Gael. simples! Up the Ra! 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 11:30am
No, is the short answer. A council house is a home in a community that she was entitled to, it is ridiculous to take all that away from her based on her election success. I also don’t believe market value should have anything to do with council housing. The problem with council houses is that they are traded on a property market at all. They are given to people as a stable base to build a better life, not something to be removed when a better life is achieved.
I also think it is important that if we are to have a veneer of democracy that elected representatives come from and live in all areas of society. Look at the damage a load of posh liberals did to the Labour Party over here! 

I’m not very trusting of the Greens at home, there is a lot of middle-class do-goodery in there, what I would call smug types who mean well but often make things worse, unlike the Greens in Germany, for example; but the fact she did sleep out with penguins means she has real courage of her convictions. Out of the most useless field possible in what is my home constituency, she was the candidate I would have most likely voted for, despite my distrust of her party. That isn’t an overwhelming endorsement though, it really was an exceptionally glum list. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic