You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Premier League 19/20 Season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 444546
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 7:37am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Norwich were bit of an anomaly.

They beat Man City, drew with Spurs and Arsenal, got players heading to Bayern in the summer - Hardly a bunch of dosser cannon fodder.

But at the same time they finished just 6 points shy of the lowest pts total

It's a bit hard to decipher what went wrong there. 
Who's going to Bayern?
Sponsored Links

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 8:03am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

The best PL team ever to be bottom of the table I heard some pundit call them midway through the season 

Yeah don’t believe Gareth Crooks.
He also put Harry Maguire in his team of the season.

They were good for the first 5 games of the season.
Beat Man City and Newcastle. Ran Chelsea very close only losing 2-3. They got up to 12th and Pukki had 6 goals.

But after that Man City result they lost 2-0 to Burnley and Palace.
Then Villa beat them 5-1 at home. They went into the relegation places and never recovered. Pukki also stopped scoring.

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 8:15am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Norwich were bit of an anomaly.

They beat Man City, drew with Spurs and Arsenal, got players heading to Bayern in the summer - Hardly a bunch of dosser cannon fodder.

But at the same time they finished just 6 points shy of the lowest pts total

It's a bit hard to decipher what went wrong there. 
Who's going to Bayern?

Max Aarons
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 11:19am

The best PL team ever to be bottom of the table I heard some pundit call them midway through the season 

One of the worst I've seen. Just because the best teams are succeeding by playing attacking football nowadays does not mean that Norwich deserve praise. The most tactically naive team I've seen in the PL in my memory, with some exciting individual players.

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 28 Jul 2020 at 11:19am
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 11:35am
Norwich weren't a good side, and shouting "chaaarrrrggggeeee" doesn't make them one. It leaves them exposed, and they suffered several big defeats, and they were one of the teams that really made up the numbers after lockdown ended. The fact that they could hardly score, let alone win, speaks for itself.

But Norwich weren't the only one. Brighton are treading water, and are really surviving by the skin of their teeth, and its been the same since they were promoted. I think next season will be potentially be their relegation year. WHU were better on this side of the lockdown, but that's only a snapshot, and when they were bad, they were really bad this year. Aston Villa stayed up by the skin of their teeth, and needed only 35 points to survive. Thats a fairly poor total. It will also be interesting to see if post-lockdown Palace are the same. They were really bad by the end.

I think at the lower end of the PL, this year, the standard was awful.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 1:07pm
Watford stuffed Liverpool, the first team to beat Liverpool in the league all season

It's hard to know what went wrong there given that that victory made them de facto European champions, I can't understand why they weren't challenging for the league title at least

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Norwich weren't a good side, and shouting "chaaarrrrggggeeee" doesn't make them one. It leaves them exposed, and they suffered several big defeats, and they were one of the teams that really made up the numbers after lockdown ended. The fact that they could hardly score, let alone win, speaks for itself.

But Norwich weren't the only one. Brighton are treading water, and are really surviving by the skin of their teeth, and its been the same since they were promoted. I think next season will be potentially be their relegation year. WHU were better on this side of the lockdown, but that's only a snapshot, and when they were bad, they were really bad this year. Aston Villa stayed up by the skin of their teeth, and needed only 35 points to survive. Thats a fairly poor total. It will also be interesting to see if post-lockdown Palace are the same. They were really bad by the end.

I think at the lower end of the PL, this year, the standard was awful.
35 would have kept you up in each of past 4 seasons.
34 would have kept you up in 2 of those.

Not sure it tells you much tho, just means the top teams have been running away with it. For example the time before that when 38 points were required, Leicester won the title, which you could hardly say was a vintage year for Premier League.

The points to get into Top 4 has reduced in the past 4 seasons, probably means there's a better battle for Top 4 rather than a Top 4 running away with it. I think you can make a points argument for any season is better than another
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

35 would have kept you up in each of past 4 seasons.
34 would have kept you up in 2 of those.

Not sure it tells you much tho, just means the top teams have been running away with it. For example the time before that when 38 points were required, Leicester won the title, which you could hardly say was a vintage year for Premier League.

The points to get into Top 4 has reduced in the past 4 seasons, probably means there's a better battle for Top 4 rather than a Top 4 running away with it. I think you can make a points argument for any season is better than another

Fair points.

I often think that the 40 point metric has been so often quoted that it becomes a assumption, regardless of how often less than 40 points is necessary in order to survive.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 8:44am
Jack Grealish nominated for young player of the year 
He’s 24 ffs
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 9:07am

Jack Grealish nominated for young player of the year 
He’s 24 ffs

Raheem Sterling won it last season sure?
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 9:09am
Fair enough, thought Sterling was 23 last season but turns out he was 24

Should be for under 23s, the age seems to have crept up in recent years 
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 9:12am
I'd actually like to see it being exclusive to under 21's, many under 23's are established internationals with anything upto 3 or 4 years experience at that level behind them which imo makes it pretty unfair.

24/25 is an absolute joke mind.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 10:51am
Wouldn't disagree 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 444546
  Share Topic