You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tax Question - Form 12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tax Question - Form 12
    Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 9:56am
So I'm filling in my form 12 so I can request a balancing statement.

I was off sick for a number of weeks last year, my employer received my illness benefit payments and I was paid as normal while I was off.

So when filling in the form 12, my gorss taxable pay is x
And in the non PAYE section the illness benefit payment is y

But that's giving me a total income of x+y, is that correct?
Should my illness benefit be 0 as it was paid to my employer and not me and I already paid tax on it?

I have tried ringing them on the phone but end up on hold for ages.

I should be due a load of tax back as after I returned to work and sent in a final cert, however DEASP continued to make payments to my employer for another 10 weeks!! So as a result I was taxed on this even though my employer held on to the money until DEASP realised their mistake and asked for the money back. Took ages to get this sorted.

Edited by Shoco - 31 Jan 2019 at 10:40am

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 10:22am
sorry to hijack your thread shoco but after your question is answered... My question..... got married recently, what is the best thing to do with tax credits etc and any other tax tips? 
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

I was off sick for a number of weeks last year, my employer received my illness benefit payments and I was paid as normal while I was off.

Should my illness benefit be 0 as it was paid to my employer and not me and I already paid tax on it?

I should be due a load of tax back as after I returned to work and sent in a final cert, however DEASP continued to make payments to my employer for another 10 weeks!! So as a result I was taxed on this even though my employer held on to the money until DEASP realised their mistake and asked for the money back. Took ages to get this sorted.
What I did was just put the details as per my P60. As the benefit went to your employer you did not see it so the illness was not paid to you. Done mine for last year there last week and got €20 back for attending A&E once.Cool
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by LO SCIENZIATO LO SCIENZIATO wrote:

sorry to hijack your thread shoco but after your question is answered... My question..... got married recently, what is the best thing to do with tax credits etc and any other tax tips? 
As a nurse your missus may is entitled (last time i checked) to a uniform allowance/credit. She probably is claiming it already but just in case..
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

As a nurse your missus may is entitled (last time i checked) to a uniform allowance/credit. She probably is claiming it already but just in case..
This current tax year is the last time that’ll be available Cry
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 3:48pm

What I did was just put the details as per my P60. As the benefit went to your employer you did not see it so the illness was not paid to you. Done mine for last year there last week and got €20 back for attending A&E once.Cool

Revenue already had a figure in there which is about right for what they paid my employer, I'm guessing it's right but it seems more logical to me to put in 0

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 8:05pm

Revenue already had a figure in there which is about right for what they paid my employer, I'm guessing it's right but it seems more logical to me to put in 0
Those figures will be from the info your emoloyer provided so go with that.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

can still claim for the last 4 years though. Greedy bastards though taking that away.
ShayGivensBum View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

The lighter coloured grass is painted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShayGivensBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 9:19am

As far as I know it only really benefits you to be jointly assessed  if one spouse doesnt work full time. If you both work full time then its no use. There is a section when you log into PAYE anytime that will show you the best way to split your credits between both of you. You just need to put in your Salaries for the year etc. The option you click on when you log in is divide tax credits. 

Edited by ShayGivensBum - 01 Feb 2019 at 9:20am
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 9:37am

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

can still claim for the last 4 years though. Greedy bastards though taking that away.

Flat rate expenses gone for some reason but afaik you will still be able to claim back tax for the last 4 years.
Revenue are getting rid of the P forms .This will be the last year you will receive a P60 for example.Their new system is based on real time returns(weekly/montly etc),so a good idea for everyone to set up their account with revenue online .

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShayGivensBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 9:49am
Rossie did I hear that we will no longer get p60's or P45's from this year on? Is your employer just obliged to update your details online with Revenue from now on or what way does ir work?
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 9:55am
Originally posted by ShayGivensBum ShayGivensBum wrote:

Rossie did I hear that we will no longer get p60's or P45's from this year on? Is your employer just obliged to update your details online with Revenue from now on or what way does ir work?
Your p60 is your most recent payslip I believe 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShayGivensBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 10:00am
No I dont think so 9F as that wouldnt take in any earlings from other sources that year like other jobs etc. I think we still get a p60 this year but then from now on they're being replaced with an online system. I could be completely wrong though.
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 10:11am
Originally posted by ShayGivensBum ShayGivensBum wrote:

No I dont think so 9F as that wouldnt take in any earlings from other sources that year like other jobs etc. I think we still get a p60 this year but then from now on they're being replaced with an online system. I could be completely wrong though.

You will get a P60 this year but thats the end of it.My understanding of it is from Jan 2019 your employer(s) send your pay details to revenue every time you are paid and your record is updated every time a return is made instead of the old system where I think it was a P35 sent over once a year .

When its fully up and running you should be able to log into your revenue a/c and see what you have earned to date .if you have numerous employers you will be able to see what they all have returned for you and what way you credits are divided etc.

If you change jobs you can register the new one online yourself or cease an old employment.P 60/45/35 will all be a thing of the past.There will be an onus on the employee to keep some things up to date but the employer will be making a lot more returns than previous system.

Edited by rossieman - 01 Feb 2019 at 10:13am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic