You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

English media set of ****s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: English media set of ****s
    Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 2:11pm
Don't always agree with Eamonn Sweeney but I agree with most of this.

Eamonn Sweeney: 'The media have always treated footballers ...

Eamonn Sweeney: The media have always treated footballers with contempt and a snobbish disdain
https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/eamonn-sweeney-the-media...
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Don't always agree with Eamonn Sweeney but I agree with most of this.

Eamonn Sweeney: 'The media have always treated footballers ...

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/eamonn-sweeney-the-media...
Sweeney makes a good point about the English media's snobbery towards footballers - decades after everyone else had noticed.

Meanwhile, he might like to look at eg Irish media coverage of footballers versus rugby players.

I mean, how many times have we heard the hoary old story of the Lions in South Africa, getting pissed in their hotel after the series-winning game, wrecking the place and even setting the curtains on fire. The harrassed hotel manager got team captain Willie John McBride up out of bed at 4 in the morning to complain, informing him that if he (McBride) didn't do something, he (manager) was going to call the police.
"The police, is it?" replied McBride. "Tell me, will there be many of them?"

Somehow I don't imagine the dazzled journo's would all have been so amused by the Ballymena Bank Manager's wit had he been a footballer - esp in apartheid South Africa....
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 2:45pm
I am no lover of the English media but I don't really agree with Sweeney there. In fairness, I disagree with a lot of what he says, but I always enjoy his pieces. It is a shame he doesn't right for a proper newspaper. There is a certain irony in complaining how the English press treats footballers when writing for a tabloid that is akin to an English tabloid.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I am no lover of the English media but I don't really agree with Sweeney there. In fairness, I disagree with a lot of what he says, but I always enjoy his pieces. It is a shame he doesn't right for a proper newspaper. There is a certain irony in complaining how the English press treats footballers when writing for a tabloid that is akin to an English tabloid.

Shocked
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 2:53pm

ShockedShockedShocked
write

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 2:55pm

I would say the Indo is a step above the Daily Star Express  Mail Sun Sunday World etc.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 2:58pm

I would say the Indo is a step above the Daily Star Express  Mail Sun Sunday World etc.

You'd be wrong.  There is no self-criticism is Irish Football Journalism, Nationality determines behaviour is a huge conversation point here in Ireland.

Edited by UCDFAN - 17 Dec 2018 at 5:54pm
www.ucdsupporters.ie
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

ShockedShockedShocked
write
Scarlet for him.
Mr. Perfect
LOL
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 4:25pm

I would say a step below. f**king rag.

Apologies for the mistake, the whip is being taken out as we speak.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic