You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Under-21 Euro 2021 Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101102103
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

No John Patrick Finn is a bit Brutal. looks like he will stay in Spain?

Yes that's disappointing, I feel it'll be one of those "I'd like to concentrate on club football" or until he gets a Spain call. 

I feel Kenny did all he could on this front for now so better to keep this on the back burner
Sponsored Links

Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Yes that's disappointing, I feel it'll be one of those "I'd like to concentrate on club football" or until he gets a Spain call. 

I feel Kenny did all he could on this front for now so better to keep this on the back burner

Yeah will see. Maybe just has an actual decision. Would have been nice to see him and Odubeko in that team. Still the pool is getting a bit deeper than it was underage which is good sign. Still not nearly enough as it is a bit of a numbers game.

Edited by Nialler - 18 Mar 2021 at 6:23pm
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 5:52pm
Crawford mentioned in an interview recently that anyone has has spoken to was keen but wanted time to consider. That probably include Finn.

Bagan at Cardiff would have been in the squad if not for the injury.
 Great that Rose can travel given restrictions etc.

Lewis is also an exciting prospect, so great to see him step up
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 5:56pm

Or his Spanish club didn't want him travelling to England for a training camp. Plus I'm somewhat sure he'd have to switch to us to even play a friendly at U21s, it's not like the U19s where lads who don't even qualify can just rock up and play a friendly game.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 5:57pm
Yeah, the u21s is still looking very strong especially when you look at injuries to players like Hodge, Smallbone, obafemi who would be in the squad.

A lot of players are now either beginning to be promoted to senior level or players like scully and masterson needing to work a little harder 
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 5:59pm

Travers 
Bazunu
O'Shea 
Knight
Molumby
Connolly
Parrott 

Smallbone (If not injured)
Collins (if not injured)

All in the senior squad but eligible for the u21.(or would be if not injured)

O'Shea, Molumby and Travers would no longer qualify in the next cycle. Born 2000 onwards only. That's why Scully's not in there
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

Travers 
Bazunu
O'Shea 
Knight
Molumby
Connolly
Parrott 

Smallbone (If not injured)
Collins (if not injured)

All in the senior squad but eligible for the u21.(or would be if not injured)

O'Shea, Molumby and Travers would no longer qualify in the next cycle. Born 2000 onwards only. That's why Scully's not in there

Well look here Conan... what you're spewing there are just facts... there is a time and a place for facts and this is not one of them.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 7:44pm
.                         Rose
O’Connor McGuinness Omabamidele Flynn

Coventry
              Noss               Kilkenny

Wright          Odubeko       Ferry

Quite a decent line up of players largely either on the bench for premier league or championship clubs or playing regularly in league 1/2. We’re not France, but it’s a mile ahead of where we have been
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 7:57pm
Looks a strong squad.
Bowden is a notable absence as he's captaining the Spurs u23s now.

JJ Finn is only 17 so would be very young for this group, but the fact Crawford had a presentation for him suggests he'd be in here if declared so we just park him for now until that changes.

We can field a very strong starting 11 from this group so the Wales match will be well worth a look tomorrow week @1pm on Wales' YouTube channel.
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 8:52pm
Is Bowden after turning down the call or is he just left out by Crawford?

Edited by aviva8 - 18 Mar 2021 at 8:53pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 8:53pm
Strong squad considering four of our best players at that age group are with the seniors, Idah would be with the seniors also if fit and Smallbone, Obafemi, Hodge and Collins are all out injured. To be down those nine and still be able to pick a squad as strong as that is good going.

I'd say this group (2000, 2001 and 2002) is potentially the deepest pool of players we have had at underage in a long time. As someone else posted there it's a numbers game - loads of these lads will fall away but the more good young players you have the more you are likely to see push on to the senior squad in the nest few years.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

Is Bowden after turning down the call or is he just left out by Crawford?

Hmm I'm not 100% sure but I think he just missed out this time.

You look at the midfielders in the team -

Coventry - getting time on the west ham first team bench in the premier league

Grant - 9 first team appearances for Rochdale this season 

Watson - started his first game for Derby in the championship this week and has a few sub appearances 

Gilbert - first team debut for Brentford in the fa Cup in January.

Kilkenny - a regular in the Bournemouth first team bench this season 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 10:49pm
It's a 22-man squad and I recall SK talking about liking that number for the 11v11 matches and nobody gets left out of the training games so assume JC is doing likewise.
And there are two 4-3-3 teams in there to square off so would seem the players have been hand-picked to form the two 11s.

Only issue there would be niggles and so maybe we will see an addition of one or two more before the Wales match.

When you think that Smallbone, Obafemi and Hodge would all have been in there, and then the likes of Bowden, Connell, OkoFlex etc. can't make the cut (and rightly so for those last two who haven't kicked a ball), it really does bode well for the future.

Edited by Fozz - 18 Mar 2021 at 10:50pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 10:45am
This squad is decent. Not exactly England or France depth as some of referenced here but it’s very strong in our context to what we have seen the last decade. 4/5 lads regularly on the bench for PL teams another spate that are on the bench/appeared for Championship clubs and plenty lads playing regularly for League 1/2 teams. 

Also if you include the young lads stepping up to the senior team, the quality of the lads injured,McNamara Masterson Ronan etc still young but just too old for this or even the likes of Jamie Bowden captain to the Spurs 23s, Connell Okoflex who have missed out by default it really bodes well. 

Lot of good talent here hopefully some of it can progress.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101102103
  Share Topic