You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Climate Change Apocalypse

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 10:48am
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

tax on diesel etc would not be a very sustainable tax stream for the next 20 years or so would it.    

F@#k that. The Government here and elsewhere told people to buy diesels as they were greener. Motor tax rates were amended to entice this too. Not our fault the motor industry duped the Government re emissions. They can't just turnaround now and tax diesel further devaluing the assets people were told to buy. Get public transport sorted before even trying to think about taxing motorists further.

That’s what I said.  It’s not a sustainable income stream.  Diesel cars will be on their way out regardless of what the Irish government does so relying on that income stream would be silly as it won’t exist in 15-20 years anyway. (A few trucks here and there maybe).   
AKA pedantic kunt
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 10:52am
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

I thought is was obvious that that part of the post was tongue in cheek. 

I am highlighting the conflict of interest. He is given a platform to scream about "rain bombs" and "boiling oceans" while he cashes a check on the back of that for 2million quid

It was obviously ‘tongue in cheek’ until it clearly wasn’t.
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I am highlighting the conflict of interest. He is given a platform to scream about "rain bombs" and "boiling oceans" while he cashes a check on the back of that for 2million quid

Very simplistic way of looking at it Gerk.  It’s perfectly legit to be passionate about something and that you believe is right for the planet and also to put your money where your mouth is and invest in it.  For the change to happen it needs both public and private investment and it needs businesses making money from it.  It can’t only be government investment.  All of the biggest change pieces in society have come from a hybrid of both private and public investment and when you have private investment you get profits.   

It would be far worse if he was making money from coal and oil in one hand and campaigning with his other.  

This is just a trope that is used but it’s not fully thought through.  I would have far more of an issue with people who say one thing and do another in a grand scale.  

You're right, but the hypocrisy is galling. These guys fly around in private jets while punching down. 

Edited by The GerK - 10 Apr 2024 at 11:27am
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Well I'd hardly expect you to get it 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 12:07pm
I follow this climate change scientist/activist and she is jetting around to far flung countries on holiday.  
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 12:18pm

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Well I'd hardly expect you to get it 

How come? Because I don’t subscribe to your way of thinking?
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 1:05pm
We were told ireland would get milder and wetter because of this 

Well we're definitely f**king seeing that. I can't remember what a blue sky looks like 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 3:19pm
Looking forward to reading this when published in a few weeks. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
  Share Topic