Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland vs Denmark Nations League Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 293031
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

That's their only world class player gone.  Secondly they are average enough without him.  Thirdly we were at home.  Fourtly we were utter muck. Did you see us even attempt to play football?  We parked the bus and hoofed it from the first kick to the last to a lad isolated from the rest of the team who has what 2 goals in 65 games?  Did you see anything other than an ugly disjointed mess out there?  How many shots did we have? Big deal we held an average team at home without their best player.  Woop de fooking woo.   

We are an embarassment to the sport of football.

Why did you bother, seriously?

Don't you know he reached the UEFA Cup Final in 2003? And that he won a league title against the giants of St. Mirren and St. Johnstone? And another one against the Glasgow world beaters of Motherwell and Partick Thistle? Hail Hail MON's green and white army!!

Back to more recent times such as last weekend, and if Duffy's impression of diving into a pool had done the trick, the performance would have been hailed as another "MON Masterclass", and the result would have been hailed as another "great night" against "higher ranked opponents". 

Instead, you can add the absence of Eriksen into the MON luck column, when a 0-0 draw at home to Denmark is described as a "positive result" these days.
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 12:13am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

It's a stick that he should be beat with. Probably the last of the 100 reasons why MON shouldn't be Ireland manager anymore, but he should definitely be criticised for it. MON agreed a contract with the FAI but went off courting clubs in public, at that point if the FAI had any respect for themselves they would have pulled the plug on any handshake deal that was supposedly done months prior.

It is no surprise they didn't though, as the only ones more inept in all of this than MON is that goon Delaney. 

Btw, I've no idea how yourself or others think it's acceptable to court other jobs while under contract (MON by his own words could sign that contract any time he wanted so he was effectively still our manager). Is it just because little old international football is second fiddle to club football now in people's minds? I think when an international association are paying you a whopping salary, a bit of decorum from the manager in such situations wouldn't go astray.

It being acceptable doesn't come into it. International managers will be offered jobs at club level no matter what their situation is and  most I would assume would prefer to be managing at club level.

The 'whopping salary' is a petty point to make. I couldn't care less what Trap was or O'Neill is on now. The same barb was thrown at Trap  before. Judge them on results and performances.

The FAI can pull the plug whenever they want. I think they should if we finish bottom as I don't really see things getting better either under O'Neill and wingnut as his assistant manager. Bottom of our nations league group and the neverending fallout from the 5-1 hammering at home last year is something that require s a change of manager imo. 

International football will never play second fiddle to club football to most on here who are Ireland supporters. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 1:34am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

It's a stick that he should be beat with. Probably the last of the 100 reasons why MON shouldn't be Ireland manager anymore, but he should definitely be criticised for it. MON agreed a contract with the FAI but went off courting clubs in public, at that point if the FAI had any respect for themselves they would have pulled the plug on any handshake deal that was supposedly done months prior.

It is no surprise they didn't though, as the only ones more inept in all of this than MON is that goon Delaney. 

Btw, I've no idea how yourself or others think it's acceptable to court other jobs while under contract (MON by his own words could sign that contract any time he wanted so he was effectively still our manager). Is it just because little old international football is second fiddle to club football now in people's minds? I think when an international association are paying you a whopping salary, a bit of decorum from the manager in such situations wouldn't go astray.

It being acceptable doesn't come into it. International managers will be offered jobs at club level no matter what their situation is and  most I would assume would prefer to be managing at club level.

Why doesn't it come into it, because you say so? His behaviour wasn't acceptable when he was courting Stoke last January. Just as hypothetically,  it would not be acceptable for Mourinho to be courting the Portuguese job while still under contract at United now. As I've said a bit of decorum isn't too much to ask for when being paid vast sums by your present employer.

The 'whopping salary' is a petty point to make. I couldn't care less what Trap was or O'Neill is on now. The same barb was thrown at Trap  before. Judge them on results and performances.

Nothing petty whatsoever about mentioning MONs whopping salary. He is one of the highest paid international managers in the world. Decent level of performance on and off the pitch should be the very bare minimum expected when a person is paid such sums to do a job. That point would stand in almost any profession. Btw, when and where have I not judged them on results and performances?

The FAI can pull the plug whenever they want. I think they should if we finish bottom as I don't really see things getting better either under O'Neill and wingnut as his assistant manager. Bottom of our nations league group and the neverending fallout from the 5-1 hammering at home last year is something that require s a change of manager imo. 

The FAI should have sacked MON within 24 hours of the Denmark debacle. The jig was well and truly up and the downward spiral from the previous 4/5 fixtures was never going to be reversed. The Georgia away game in the middle of that run was one of the most inept and disgraceful performances I can recall from an Irish side, and MON and his tactics (or total lack of tactics should I say) played a massive part in that Georgia debacle. So the Danish game was just the straw that broke the camel's back. It still amazes me to think that a lot of people thought MON should have been given time to try and turn it around in this campaign - all of that time that MON has spent this year making us progressively worse was time that a new manager should have had to build a new squad and style of play. Now we are truly in no mans land, and I don't see any way out for a long time now even when MON eventually goes.

International football will never play second fiddle to club football to most on here who are Ireland supporters. 

Indeed.

"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 8:18am
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

If we had Coleman, Ward, Brady, Rice, McCarthy and Walters fit/available, I reckon they all would have started so this bullsh*t that Denmark were missing Eriksen therefore we should have played like Brazil, is ridiculous.

We have had all those players at one point or another since the euros and we played the exact same - actually this year!

I wasn't suggesting that we would have played Denmark off the park if we had a full team. My point was that our team was far more depleted than Denmark so this sh*te that MON was lucky that they were missing a world class player and we should have won, bugs me.

That said, if we don't win tonight, he has to go.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 8:25am
He shouldn't be fired for not beating Wales.

He should be fired because of the poor performances and results over the last 2 years.

And a new management team with a fresh approach will be beneficial to all going into the Euro qualification games.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 8:34am
I think we need a plane Big smile
Simonsen View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simonsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 10:10am
Dane here - just a short comment, hope you don't mind.
I've not followed your team closely, but from what we saw Saturday I can understand the criticism and would've felt the same way had it been my team, I think.

But even though we don't play the most beautiful and elegant football atm, I must say that 'average' is a bit harsh and make your teams performance seem even worse than it was.

As others have mentioned nearly all in the starting 11 are playing at clubs in the top 4-leagues (8/11), and two of the last three at Ajax - Dolberg seems to be fit again after injury and widely regarded as a top talented nr. 9.

We have players from the EPL, Serie A and Ligue 1 on the bench (and a couple of top talents on the u21's like Philip Billing and most notably left winger Jakob Bruun Larsen breaking through at Dortmund now). We have the most talented squad since old Schmeichel and the two Laudrups, maybe even better all round, and having build a fantastic defensive structure the coach will now be focusing on offense.

And, we haven't lost a game in two years, apart from vs. Croatia on penalties.

Just to say that maybe the fact that you got a clean sheet and can build from there is not that bad.
Top teams like Spain could very well have struggled as well trying to open up that defense of yours and it's no given that we would've scored with Eriksen in the team.

planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 10:51am
Since the new contract was signed, we've won 1 game. In the last minute, at home to a B Team in a friendly.

What a waste of time the first year of the current contract has been. And more importantly, a monumental waste of money. 
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Simonsen Simonsen wrote:

Dane here - just a short comment, hope you don't mind.
I've not followed your team closely, but from what we saw Saturday I can understand the criticism and would've felt the same way had it been my team, I think.

But even though we don't play the most beautiful and elegant football atm, I must say that 'average' is a bit harsh and make your teams performance seem even worse than it was.

As others have mentioned nearly all in the starting 11 are playing at clubs in the top 4-leagues (8/11), and two of the last three at Ajax - Dolberg seems to be fit again after injury and widely regarded as a top talented nr. 9.

We have players from the EPL, Serie A and Ligue 1 on the bench (and a couple of top talents on the u21's like Philip Billing and most notably left winger Jakob Bruun Larsen breaking through at Dortmund now). We have the most talented squad since old Schmeichel and the two Laudrups, maybe even better all round, and having build a fantastic defensive structure the coach will now be focusing on offense.

And, we haven't lost a game in two years, apart from vs. Croatia on penalties.

Just to say that maybe the fact that you got a clean sheet and can build from there is not that bad.
Top teams like Spain could very well have struggled as well trying to open up that defense of yours and it's no given that we would've scored with Eriksen in the team.

Denmark are far superior to Ireland. I don't think Denmark are average, they're a good international team and will be in League A next time in the Nations League. We're below average on a European level and will jump between Leagues B & C for the next while.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 2:20pm
Jump? I couldn't see us getting promoted for a while.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Jump? I couldn't see us getting promoted for a while.
Not for two years anyway.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 2:39pm
Not for ten years! Maybe when these young boys come through.
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 2:56pm
you would like to hope we could be competitive if we got a kind draw in League C

as it stands, the seeding pots next time (if we went down) would be

us
1 from Scotland/Greece/Norway/Montenegro
1 from Albania/Romania/Hungary
1 from Luxembourg/Georgia/Kosovo/Macedonia

Bulgaria and Finland are currently on 100% records in League C from 3 and 4 games respectively, under what would likely be a new managerial regime you'd like to think we could get to double figures in points which would give us a great chance of bouncing back
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 2:59pm
We could draw with a lot of those!
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

We could draw with a lot of those!

that's the spirit Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 293031
  Share Topic