You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup in Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 3:57pm
why would anyone even want to host games at a World Cup.

1. It would be a fortress for already greedy Dublin hoteliers to charge fans extortionate prices and give us a bad reputation
2. You’d have government mongos like Shane Ross and scumbags from the FAI spearheading the bid.
3. It would do nothing for football in Ireland that the Euros in 2 years time won’t or that a World Cup across the pond wouldn’t do. And I doubt either of those will do anything 
4. You have gobsh*tes like O Shea telling everyone the bid is the best and Enfield will be a terrific host city with the fantastic pubs on offer for fans and it ends up going the exact same direction as the rugby bid

FIFA will see it as a great opportunity for brown envelopes in back pockets having said that between government and if JD is still around signing confidentiality agreements like they’re going out of fashion
Sponsored Links

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 3:57pm
Even in the hypothetical scenario of Ireland hosting a group/a number of games, we would never be co-hosts and given a place.
To gain that you would have to hold a significant number of games which we obviously can’t do.
We would just be used to facilitate the enormous effort of hosting 48 different teams.

To argue Dublin is not able to host a single game is just ignorant or fishing.

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

You're really pushing the boat out on ridiculousness if you don't even think that Dublin could host a few WC games. We have an enormous airport and any amount of hotels. In terms of city rankings, Dublin is rated alongside the likes of Vienna, Zurich, Stockholm, Melbourne, New Delhi, Washington, Buenos Aires, etc. I suppose none of them would be fit to hold a few tournament games either? LOL
FIFA is not Trip Advisor !!!

I'm not going off trip advisor, these are widely respected international rankings on globalised cities. Dublin is ranked around the top end of "alpha global cities", along with the others mentioned.

To give some context to that, Saint Petersburg is rated as a "Gamma + city", a full 4 levels below Dublin....

Edited by The O'Shea - 21 Jun 2018 at 4:14pm
We're decent enough..
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 4:14pm

You're really pushing the boat out on ridiculousness if you don't even think that Dublin could host a few WC games. We have an enormous airport and any amount of hotels. In terms of city rankings, Dublin is rated alongside the likes of Vienna, Zurich, Stockholm, Melbourne, New Delhi, Washington, Buenos Aires, etc. I suppose none of them would be fit to hold a few tournament games either? LOL

I'm not going off trip advisor, these are widely respected international rankings on globalised cities. Dublin is ranked around the top end of "alpha global cities", along with the others mentioned.

To give some context to that, Saint Petersburg is rated as a "Gamma - city", a full 4 levels below Dublin....
Where is Kilkenny on the list?
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

To give some context to that, Saint Petersburg is rated as a "Gamma - city", a full 4 levels below Dublin....
Where is Kilkenny on the list?

Kilkenny ain't ranked as a global city, nor is any Russian host city bar Moscow and St.Petersburg incidentally Embarrassed

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Single event (one match) yes but not 4-6 games in a week with potentially 50/60k EXTRA tourists in the city.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Originally posted by UCDFAN UCDFAN wrote:

Non-white Football Fans would be able to enter the precious jurisdiction with their FAN IDs, this will cause outrage among many Football Fans in Ireland. OMG! or more commonly FFS.

What in the name of god are you on about? You really do come out with some bizarre stuff Confused 

Ha ha I could 'hear' you actually saying that after reading the post
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 4:43pm
http://indo.ie/5GF730kBvM4

Read that. Close topic 

Edited by Pipkin - 21 Jun 2018 at 4:44pm
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 10:09pm
Exactly

A thread 6 pages long on the back of Sepp Blatter shootin' his mouth off.  Seriously
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

Exactly

A thread 6 pages long on the back of Sepp Blatter shootin' his mouth off.  Seriously
How can anyone take him seriously these days? Confused

I found it hard to take him seriously even when he was FIFA president.
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 6:20am

Single event (one match) yes but not 4-6 games in a week with potentially 50/60k EXTRA tourists in the city.

As we are capable of hosting one game then we could easily host one group which is 3 games over two weeks.

I agree only Dublin would be suitable compared to the rest of Ireland.

Obviously I’m capable of riding Megan Markle and there is more chance of that happening than Ireland hosting a WC match !! 

schillaci View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
I love Scott HULK Hogan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schillaci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 11:36pm

The only way we get World Cup games in Ireland is if England/GB win it and throw Dublin some games/one group.

With 48 teams needing hotels and training facilities etc you would think FIFA may consider  relaxing the rules a bit so you could have one host country but allow some of the neighbouring countries host a few groups but not be official co-hosts.
That avoids the issue for giving places to all the hosts.

England could host it and Scotland / Wales / Ireland could all host a few groups each.

You could have 2 groups between Dublin and Belfast.

This is it in an nutshell. In such a scenario only England would (and should) qualify automatically. They would use the most obvious 8 stadiums, with Dublin, Cardiff, Edinburgh and Glasgow providing 1 stadium each
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic