You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Football Programmes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Football Programmes
    Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 5:45am

English Football League teams will no longer be obliged to print matchday programmes for every game after a vote at the league's annual general meeting.

Programmes had been mandatory as a result of partnership and sponsorship agreements held by the EFL.

However, Championship, League One and League Two clubs can now make the decision on a match-by-match basis.

I would imagine EPL clubs will do the same at some point. Its a shame if their demise becomes widespread paricuarly for young fans.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Sponsored Links

thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 11:49am
Big part of a matchday ritual picking up a programme. Be very sad if they got rid of the hard copies
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 12:39pm
They have been brutal for years though, as well as dreadfully overpriced.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 12:44pm
I stopped buying them a while back. I was attending lots of matches, and to spend money on a programme each time I was going was a big investment. At Euro 2016 I got the tournament programme which just wasn't worth the price.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 1:11pm
Yeah it’s a shame if they do go.
I’d say most clubs will keep them and I’m sure the smaller clubs will do something like a monthly program.

As a kid going to matches the match day program was always great to bring home.

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 1:28pm
I still buy one at every game I go to but the vast majority of them are brutal.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 7:59pm
They're absolutely brutal these days. Just a load of ads and no real insight. Any number of fanzines or fan websites give you better content. No need for them anymore. 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 8:01pm
Fanzines are much much better
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 8:08pm
The USA game at the weekend was the first ever home game I can remember being at and not buying one. Great idea pain to carry and more advertising than decent articles.

Edited by irelandfan - 09 Jun 2018 at 8:08pm
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

The USA game at the weekend was the first ever home game I can remember being at and not buying one. Great idea pain to carry and more advertising than decent articles.
The Ireland v USA programme has an article about ex Rovers Legend Mick Leech and it says Charlie Hurley used to manager Ireland. What the feck?

Edited by Double Maxim - 09 Jun 2018 at 8:16pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Fanzines are much much better
Were! The day of the fanzine is over too.
UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 2:52am
How do the clubs provide information/communicate with their Fans?

In anticipation of a certain reply.
Are Fans expected to provide bought printed Tickets on entry?
Do Fans have to suffer advertising hoardings/boards along the touchline and around the ground?
Are flyers pushed into Fans hands as they approach the Stadium?
Do the shops in the Stadium have printed price lists and pictures of their products on display?

I believe that English Football League FCs believe communication and providing accurate information is a cost. And have chosen not to provide that reassurance and accuracy to Fans. Instead Fans have to negotiate rumours and fans with better resources (broadband, time to search on broadband) that have information denied other fans.

Nick Hornby in Fever Pitch(1992) wrote about the competition among Fans to scoop their own group of fans in player news regarding injuries, transfers, gossip.   Before the programme reader could ignore such conversations, because if it's going to happen it'll be in the programme or gaps in line-ups will appear on match-day. Only then the programme reader can piece together previous info and start giving value to rumours.

But now without a programme, without an accurate source from the FC the programme reader has to take an interest in unofficial news and/or put a value on the rumour-mongers. Garbage information has increased in value, accuracy loses value. It should be a problem for everyone.
www.ucdsupporters.ie
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 10:14am

The Sunderland AFC programme was a cracking read winning loads of awards and then good old Martin Bain sacked the editor Rob Mason and since then its been very average.

Ironically Rob writes occasional articles now and is an advisory consultant to the current editor who appears to have no SAFC background.

Embarrassed
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 7:48pm
Tonights programme us supposed to be a drawing of Bestie and John Giles. Giles said on Newstalk that its more like Liam Brady and has Liam's no on it!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic