Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Graham Burke

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 12:49pm
https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/graham-burke-seals-return-shamrock-18804368

Year long loan. Strange and kind of ends his NT aspirations, but I suppose those ended when he couldn’t break into the PNE squad. 
Sponsored Links

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 5:53pm
More proof that that tearing up the LOI doesn't mean a whole lot unfortunately.
We're decent enough..
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/graham-burke-seals-return-shamrock-18804368

Year long loan. Strange and kind of ends his NT aspirations, but I suppose those ended when he couldn’t break into the PNE squad. 

Didnt his cap come while he was playing with shams last time. 
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

Didnt his cap come while he was playing with shams last time. 

Yes but it was around the time he was seriously linked with a move to the Championship. Around his last game for Shams. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 10:20pm
He'll never play for Ireland again in the LOI, either he gets back to England and does well or his international career is finished.
We're decent enough..
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 10:44pm
He has struggled in England and in all divisions. I just don't think he is good enough. His touch isn't good enough to make up for his lack of pace. LOI is his level.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

He has struggled in England and in all divisions. I just don't think he is good enough. His touch isn't good enough to make up for his lack of pace. LOI is his level.

If LOI is his level then so be it. It sad the way we think its England or failure. 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 11:27pm
Did he ever really get a decent run of games at Preston? I kept a close eye on them last season, and by and large they played a lot of muck football. Not saying it's a case where the genius of Burke wasn't recognised. But it's just all too common a story of the number 10 who's career goes tits up in the English leagues.

Assuming money isn't the defining factor, if you're a certain type of player you really should run a mile from England (outside premier league anyway)
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 11:48pm
[QUOTE=Mikeire]He’s 25, just didn’t impress at Preston when given many opportunities. 
Sat on then bench, got the occasional sub role or just wasn’t picked at all. 

so if he can’t hack it in the Championship and he struggled in the lower leagues with Notts Co or Gillingham, don’t think it’s going to happen for him sadly
[/QUOTE

Bit of a contradiction here. I don't think Burke was ever as good as was being made out, but he definitely didn't get a fair crack of the whip at Preston. 

Alex Neil looks like a right moany bollocks. Moany head on him all the time. I'd be delighted to be out of there. 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 1:28am
He's a technically excellent player but isn't suited to English lower level football. The loan deal will be made permanent as soon as Byrne gets a move abroad so it's decent business by Rovers ensuring he doesn't end up with another LoI team.

Had forgotten about some of the goals he scored last season until I saw the video on Rovers' Twitter account, some fantastic long range goals.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 6:59am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

If LOI is his level then so be it. It sad the way we think its England or failure. 
I’m not sure we all do, but most players do. That’s understandable given the difference in wages and opportunities. Unquestionably there are some lads who are unlucky to have to leave, but lads like Burke just weren’t up to it. For all that we want it to be different, players want to play full-time football in a full-time league.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 8:57am
Originally posted by Mikeire Mikeire wrote:

He’s 25, just didn’t impress at Preston when given many opportunities. 
Sat on then bench, got the occasional sub role or just wasn’t picked at all. 

so if he can’t hack it in the Championship and he struggled in the lower leagues with Notts Co or Gillingham, don’t think it’s going to happen for him sadly

I wouldn't say he got "loads of chances", but Championship was always going to be a stretch for him. His biggest problem was that he was played on the wing which obviously exposed his embarrassing lack of pace. He seemed to do alright at Gillingham when he was played in a more central position, but obviously not enough to show Preston he's worth a shot there.
We're decent enough..
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 9:44am
Look at his career in the overall and it seems to have a pattern to it - went to england as a kid with great potential but didnt make the breakthrough (albeit he seems to have gotten waylaid by the off field lifestyle), came home and took a while to sort his head out. He got his career going again at Rovers and got a move back over. Move has'nt worked out, so he's back home again.

Personally, think he ia a good technical player with a goal in him but dont think he has the desired qualities for the cut and thrust grind of the Championship. I imagine he might be perceived as a luxury player by some managers especially in a league with such a high manager turnover. He really needs a manager who has total faith in him and prepared to accept that he will have off days - such managers are few and far between in the cut throat business of professional football where a managers first instinct is not to get sacked. Similar in ways to Keith Fahey, except that Fahey adapted his game and took his second chance.

Begs, the question what is his level ? I think Rovers are his level and only in the team if he is playing well regularly. Bradley is coming under pressure to deliver the league and he cant afford any passangers.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 10:00am

It's hard to accommodate a player like Burke in a decent Championship or even League One team. He's not quick enough to play out wide and in central positions even #10's need to work more these days. He appears to be more of a good individual player than someone who will work his balls off as part of a the sort of collective team effort than managers favor. 
El Puto Amo
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Look at his career in the overall and it seems to have a pattern to it - went to england as a kid with great potential but didnt make the breakthrough (albeit he seems to have gotten waylaid by the off field lifestyle), came home and took a while to sort his head out. He got his career going again at Rovers and got a move back over. Move has'nt worked out, so he's back home again.

Personally, think he ia a good technical player with a goal in him but dont think he has the desired qualities for the cut and thrust grind of the Championship. I imagine he might be perceived as a luxury player by some managers especially in a league with such a high manager turnover. He really needs a manager who has total faith in him and prepared to accept that he will have off days - such managers are few and far between in the cut throat business of professional football where a managers first instinct is not to get sacked. Similar in ways to Keith Fahey, except that Fahey adapted his game and took his second chance.

Begs, the question what is his level ? I think Rovers are his level and only in the team if he is playing well regularly. Bradley is coming under pressure to deliver the league and he cant afford any passangers.
There’s loads of ‘luxury’ players in League 1 and 2. For example, at Cambridge last year we had Jevani Brown. He wore gloves in September( he is from Hertfordshire!) and only ever ran forwards. He was sold to Colchester for a few believed to be 300k, largely as the club thought Wes could replace him. Plenty teams have similar. This idea that lower league football is just a grind is as ridiculous as saying the same about the LOI.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
  Share Topic