You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No national radio coverage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No national radio coverage
    Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 11:36am

I think the television coverage for the LOI is good in terms of the product, I know many don't but I feel the lack of national radio coverage for the League is shameful.  Dundalk games are broadcast locally which is great but for example last Friday night when I got into my car at around 9.30pm there was nothing about the League on any station.  Even Newstalk which broadcasts a sports show from 7-10 on Monday to Thursday ends at 9pm on Friday, the one night our national league is normally on! 

While BBC Norn Iron makes it's highlights show available online only it provides national radio coverage from 2-5.30pm every Saturday for the Irish League with a live game and comprehensive match reports.  I am also pretty sure that when Ulster or Ireland are playing in the rugby at the same time they split the FM and AM frequency's to accommodate both. 
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
Sponsored Links

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 11:58am
It's not radio coverage but the LoI Weekly and Balls.ie podcasts are good. But it's not exactly national coverage and will only be listened to by those with an interest in the league.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 12:14pm
(Shouldn't this be in the Media Tent thread?)

In 1990s on Sunday afternoons, while there was live Sport up and down the country. Celebrated Quiz-master Jimmy Magee would host a Sports Quiz.Interrupting the reporting and chronicling of live Irish Sport. Dead now of course, Magee not live Irish Sport.

Louth Meath FM (LMFM) was one of the first regionals given a broadcast licence. And they gave a sh!t about broadcasting live Sport. They would broadcast Dundalk or Drogheda Utd in League and for the FAI Cup then mention Monaghan Utd and a qualifier from area,Boyne Rovers hosting a game a Utd Park.

During 1989/90 Premier Division UCD lost first 5 games. I was sick of watching them lose so I didnt go to UCD v Dundalk at Belfield Park. (Maybe knowing I could listen to LMFM was part of the decision). The Lilywhites 3 nil up at HT. An injured Terry Eviston interviewed at Half Time, delighted to get the win and Dundalk's slow start coming to an end. UCD came back with 3 goals in second half to get a point. Thanks to LMFM I heard it all.
I may have a recording of it, that was a thing back then (magnetic cassette tape...... audio recording).
www.ucdsupporters.ie
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 12:26pm
Can't imagine there's much demand for radio commentaries on Friday nights, can't see why any station would do it
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 3:47pm
they used to do it unitl about 2008, end of celtic tiger massive rte budget and the rise of ryle Nugent put an end to it 
Come on Irelind
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 3:50pm
Highland Radio would do live updates only throughout their show on a Friday night from the ground for Derry and Finn Harps games, AFAIK
saintjoey View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintjoey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 5:36pm
A radio show from 10 to 11 Friday nights would be fantastic
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 10:59pm
A good bit depends on cooperation from the clubs too. Some don't want home games broadcast as they think it would take from the crowd. So the elderly or people in hospital, who wouldn't have been going anyway, miss out. Think it differs from club to club, and in localities, depending on attitudes & circumstances. With the Blues doing well so far, the local radio station (WLR) is broadcasting the Derry away game live on Friday night, whether that continues or not is anyone's guess. 

Don't think there is much of a national audience though, and as pointed out above, there are podcasts etc with decent LOI segments regularly available, even if not live. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 11:29pm
Wanted to do a local radio show on Friday night an around the ground type show between 9 and 10.. never worked out.
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic