Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

France v IRELAND Match Thread, 28/05/18

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 222324
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

N.I. are in a better place and in better shape than us I'm sorry to say. Cry

The sad thing is, on paper, they really are not. They're most recent squad contained a handful of PL players, and most of the rest were spread across League 1 and 2, and in some cases in fairly irrelevant teams, as far as the success shake up was concerned. But Michael knows how to coral these individuals and play to the collective strength of the team. Collectively, we have expected the wheels to come off much earlier for NI, but they came within a whisker of making it to the World Cup, while we were ultimately buried by a Lord Bedtner penalty, on our home patch. Their results this season have maintained a reason to be positive, while our performances look like much of the same.

How many of our players would break into the current NI setup? Loads and loads would. I couldnt imagine them turning down Coleman, Duffy, Rice, McCarthy, Hendrick, Long, Brady, or Randolph to name but a few. But the way they play, they dont seem to need them. They have continued to pick up points and results, which may not be as glamorous as our wins against Germany, Italy, Bosnia and Wales, but they seem much more consistent in what they do. And they show that even with ostensibly limited players, you can achieve quite a bit.
Sponsored Links

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by John Wick John Wick wrote:

You've totally missed the point.

How so? I have extracted a portion of the post and responded to it.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Funnily I actually like the idea of us getting revenge on Denmark, while the Welsh will be bitter and dying to get one over us. (When are they not?)

Remind me again our record of getting 'revenge' against teams who done us wrong  , France - nope Switzerland - nope etc
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Funnily I actually like the idea of us getting revenge on Denmark, while the Welsh will be bitter and dying to get one over us. (When are they not?)

Remind me again our record of getting 'revenge' against teams who done us wrong  , France - nope Switzerland - nope etc

I don't actually think we'll get revenge on them, I just think it sets the games up a little better than some of the drabber Nations League ties.

Whatever about the concept being boring, imagine how underwhelming it would be to be drawn against some non-offensive bunch like Bosnia or Slovakia.

The Danes literally took the piss out of us by letting Bendtner taking that penalty, at least we can hope for revenge until we ultimately surrender four points to them. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by John Wick John Wick wrote:

I don't think the post was meant to reflect who has the better players.....which you pointed out we do. The north being in a better place than us means they have a management team that believes in them and what they are trying to do... They also have a system,they play ball but also mix it up. Very effectively to.
 We have non of those things and won't under the current regime. MON has clearly no ideas and NOW has to motivate the squad with. Cry

In fairness, I did mention what Michael O'Neill gets out of a very limited group of players. And that he has understood the strengths of the team, and how to win matches, or at least draw them. Its a remarkable job he has done, under the circumstances, and unlike MON has topped a group, and come second in a very competitive one. You can only beat what is in front of you, and Michael O'Neill's team is in the habit of doing that, and rarely capitulating. 

I totally agree that our current system lacks any ingenuity. As I said yesterday, we had one foot in the finals thanks to a route one goal against Austria, a combination of a refereeing mess-up and the Georgian keepers indecision, Ashley Williams' brainfart, and Kasper Schmeichel's mistake. Jeff Hendrick's bobbled opener also springs to mind, while both Serbia and Wales had men sent off at Lansdowne. Kevin Long's disallowed goal against Austria, and Coleman's injury aside, we had much of the luck running with us, and dumb luck brought us as far as it could. We cannot avoid attacking play, and being beaten by Serbia was no reason to kybosh it totally. But MON seems unwilling to change this approach, and even with very limited players, it isnt good enough.
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 9:46pm
The North were poor at the Euros. They played well in one game against the Ukraine, who were the worst team in the whole tournament. 

They lost to teams we have beaten, such as Germany and Wales, in games that were dire. Only that awful Polish forward prevented them from getting an absolute hammering in their other game.

We on the other hand had three good games. That's what we need to get back to. The kind of form we showed against Sweden, Italy and France. 
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

The North were poor at the Euros. They played well in one game against the Ukraine, who were the worst team in the whole tournament. 

They lost to teams we have beaten, such as Germany and Wales, in games that were dire. Only that awful Polish forward prevented them from getting an absolute hammering in their other game.

We on the other hand had three good games. That's what we need to get back to. The kind of form we showed against Sweden, Italy and France. 

Hi Martin
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 9:51am
LOL
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Hi Martin

The North have done well for themselves but the qualifying draws have been very good to them lately. If we look at the performance of Germany, when we've both recently had them in qualifying, we can see the type of quality on offer.

I'm all for bashing O'Neill, but bash him for the right reasons.

Performance of Germany

(Republic of Ireland Euro qualifying group)

aggregate scores:

Germany drew 3-3 v Poland
Germany lost 2-1 v Ireland
Germany won  5-3 v Scotland
Germany won  4-1 v Georgia
Germany won  11-0 v Gibraltar

Ireland finished 4 points behind Germany

(Northern Ireland World Cup qualifying group)

aggregate scores:

Germany won  5-1 v Northern Ireland
Germany won  5-1 v Czech Republic
Germany won  9-0 v Norway
Germany won  9-2 v Azerbaijan
Germany won 15-0 v San Marino

Northern Ireland finished 11 points behind Germany

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 2:31pm
Hi Michael
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 222324
  Share Topic