Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IRISH SOCCER HISTORY EXHIBITION-- DUBLIN 2018

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IRISH SOCCER HISTORY EXHIBITION-- DUBLIN 2018
    Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 3:02pm
Following on from the virtual museum irelandsoccershirts.com and the recent book about the history of the Irish International football shirt called "40 Shades of Green" i am hoping to open up an exhibition in Dublin City Centre in the first quarter of 2018 that would highlight the history of the Irish senior international team. Hopefully it could run for a number of months and cross over the 30th anniversary in June of Euro 1988.

I am in the early stage of planning it but with some goodwill and support i think this could be a unique public exhibition that charts the history of the Irish team and also allow past Irish heroes to be honoured.

The aim is that the exhibition would be free of charge for the public to visit and like all of the projects so far it will be dedicated to the memory of James Nolan. I will not personally benefit financially from the event.

I am looking for a title sponsor and will be hopefully able to confirm a location in the next week or so.I will use this thread to post any updates but hopefully it will be something that irish fans and past players will be able to support and enjoy.

#YBIG

Eddie

Edited by irelandshirts - 12 Feb 2018 at 1:38pm
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

Sponsored Links

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 3:09pm
Great idea, best of luck Eddie
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 3:14pm
Thumbs Up
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 3:20pm
Good luck, Eddie. Will definitely go along to that. Much as I'll never call the ground anything other than Lansdowne, have you thought of approaching Aviva given they've just extended the stadium deal?
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 3:22pm
Fair play . All the best with it. I will go once it opens
irelandshirts View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 1:35pm
I'm still in the pre planning stage for the exhibition with a view to opening it in a dublin city centre location in June 2018 in time to mark the 30th Anniversary of Euro 88 and have it run thru until mid December 2018 to cross over with the Euro 2020 draw being held in the convention centre in Dublin.

As part of it I will need some bespoke display cabinets built to securely display some of the exhibits.If an YBIG members are carpenters themselves or if you have a family member/friend you could recommend to get a quote for this work it would be much appreciated.

My email address is IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS@GMAIL.COM

Thanks

Eddie

valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 6:22pm
Might be cheaper and easier to rent/lease that kind of thing, no?

Or maybe even keep an eye out at a few liquidators, selling off used shop fittings.

There seems to be plenty on Donedeal too for reasonable money if you can sort transport, stuff like

https://www.donedeal.ie/shopfittings-for-sale/glass-cabinets/17721107
https://www.donedeal.ie/shopfittings-for-sale/display-glass-cabinets/17991797?campaign=3

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 7:50pm
Cheers Valo for that.Its a great shout but what I'm looking to do is create a number of portable secure display cabinets/banners/signage etc that could be relocated in different locations/events etc in the future.

The cabinets would need to be made up to order to allow maximum number of items to be displayed in each one.Essentially the exhibition could be portable and visit different locations within the country ie schools/clubs/stadiums etc.

A pop up museum.

Edited by irelandshirts - 12 Feb 2018 at 7:53pm

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 8:06pm
BTW Eddie, I never managed to say how fantastic I think the book is. Beautifully presented in a coffee table style. Really loved it in terms of contents and presentation. Worth every penny.

Good luck with the museum.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

BTW Eddie, I never managed to say how fantastic I think the book is. Beautifully presented in a coffee table style. Really loved it in terms of contents and presentation. Worth every penny.

Good luck with the museum.

Thanks Het-field.I really appreciate that.As I always say its very humbling to get such positive feed back for the book project.

Hopefully this exhibition project can be the next step in bringing our history to life again.

Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 9:52pm
Have you tried Epic Museum or DCC's Tara Doyle in Pearse St. would be good to speak too.
 Also Culturlann in West Belfast and the Long Gallery in Stormont also take temporary exhibitions.

They are always looking for temporary exhibitions and most museums have built in secure cabinets to hold shirts etc.

We had Paolo Maldini's signed shirt on display recently for POC event at DCC.

National Football Museum in Manchester - you'd be surprised how many Irish are in England and the NFM are always looking for different exhibitions - seven floors of football history.

Anyhow best of luck with it.

valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 3:24am
Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

Have you tried Epic Museum or DCC's Tara Doyle in Pearse St. would be good to speak too.
 Also Culturlann in West Belfast and the Long Gallery in Stormont also take temporary exhibitions.

They are always looking for temporary exhibitions and most museums have built in secure cabinets to hold shirts etc.

National Football Museum in Manchester - you'd be surprised how many Irish are in England and the NFM are always looking for different exhibitions - seven floors of football history.

That place in Stephens Green Shopping Centre that housed the Phil Lynott and various other exhibitions might be worth a shot. Think its vacant and has the units in place.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 10:06am
Originally posted by valo88 valo88 wrote:

Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

That place in Stephens Green Shopping Centre that housed the Phil Lynott and various other exhibitions might be worth a shot. Think its vacant and has the units in place.

Some good shouts there. Might be worth contacting the Little Museum of Dublin as well.

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 12:18pm
D69:

I contacted The Little Museum years ago and on a regular basis but was told their exhibitions are booked years in advance.I offered them the full and free use of everything but they never came back to me.

It could have revolved around matches in LR in Dublin,the ONeills kit produced in Dublin and also famous Dublin footballers etc but didn't get any response.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by irelandshirts irelandshirts wrote:

D69:

I contacted The Little Museum years ago and on a regular basis but was told their exhibitions are booked years in advance.I offered them the full and free use of everything but they never came back to me.

It could have revolved around matches in LR in Dublin,the ONeills kit produced in Dublin and also famous Dublin footballers etc but didn't get any response.

That's a shame. It's a big tourist attraction these days so probably has a big waiting list. Bad form not replying though. That space where the Lynott exhibition was in the Stephens Green centre is worth a shot.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic