You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scotland down the years

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Graeme Sharp 12 caps

There was quite a simple reason for that.

Graeme Sharp was an excellent club player, nobody would dispute that, I'm certainly not. However the fact is that he was simply terrible at international level. Ask anyone who saw him play a game for Scotland, he was hopeless. He just couldn't do it at international level. Why ? That's a mystery.

See also Brian McClair, Steve Archibald & Arthur Albiston. Very good players for their clubs but strangely just couldn't do it at international level. A lot of people who saw McClair play for Scotland will tell you that he did not deserve even half of his thirty caps - where he scored just two goals.

A lot of people wonder why Ross McCormack only got thirteen caps despite scoring so many goals for Cardiff, Leeds, Fulham and Villa. Again, there is a simple reason for that. At international level he was far too easily brushed off the ball, couldn't hold the ball up, his decision making was poor, when he got the ball he often panicked and gave it to the opposition. 

Regardless of club form, an international manager can only give a player like that so many chances, as Steve Clarke is finding out now with Oli McBurnie. Next year I would ditch McBurnie and give Kevin Nisbet a couple of games up front if it was up to me.

Funnily enough at the moment, Liam Cooper of Leeds Utd is being kept out of the Scotland team by Declan Gallagher of Motherwell who has looked so much more assured and competent at international level than Cooper has.

Btw owing to work and family issues I won't be on YBIG (or the TAMB) for quite a while to come but I want to wish everyone on YBIG all the best for the future. Take care of yourselves now, wear your masks, wash your hands and we'll all get through this ! I've always been made to feel very welcome on YBIG and enjoyed the back and forth with everyone Thumbs Up. I also know that Ireland will start scoring goals and winning games in style very, very soon and I'll be delighted for you all when it happens. See ye all Wink

Edited by ErsatzThistle - 14 Dec 2020 at 2:28pm
Sponsored Links

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 2:30pm
Best of luck ET. Hope to see you back in time for the Euros Thumbs Up
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 2:43pm
Best of luck ET and many happy returns. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 4:25pm

Best of luck ET and many happy returns. 
Clap
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

Graeme Sharp 12 caps

Graeme Sharp was an excellent club player, nobody would dispute that, I'm certainly not. However the fact is that he was simply terrible at international level. Ask anyone who saw him play a game for Scotland, he was hopeless. He just couldn't do it at international level. Why ? That's a mystery.

See also Brian McClair, Steve Archibald & Arthur Albiston. Very good players for their clubs but strangely just couldn't do it at international level. A lot of people who saw McClair play for Scotland will tell you that he did not deserve even half of his thirty caps - where he scored just two goals.

A lot of people wonder why Ross McCormack only got thirteen caps despite scoring so many goals for Cardiff, Leeds, Fulham and Villa. Again, there is a simple reason for that. At international level he was far too easily brushed off the ball, couldn't hold the ball up, his decision making was poor, when he got the ball he often panicked and gave it to the opposition. 

Regardless of club form, an international manager can only give a player like that so many chances, as Steve Clarke is finding out now with Oli McBurnie. Next year I would ditch McBurnie and give Kevin Nisbet a couple of games up front if it was up to me.

Funnily enough at the moment, Liam Cooper of Leeds Utd is being kept out of the Scotland team by Declan Gallagher of Motherwell who has looked so much more assured and competent at international level than Cooper has.

Btw owing to work and family issues I won't be on YBIG (or the TAMB) for quite a while to come but I want to wish everyone on YBIG all the best for the future. Take care of yourselves now, wear your masks, wash your hands and we'll all get through this ! I've always been made to feel very welcome on YBIG and enjoyed the back and forth with everyone Thumbs Up. I also know that Ireland will start scoring goals and winning games in style very, very soon and I'll be delighted for you all when it happens. See ye all Wink

I often bring up himself, Martin and Rhodes among others as reference points when Irish fans automatically assume any eligible striker scoring 1 in 5 or 1 in 6 at Championship level will adjust to Intl football.

If you're not gone yet, fill us in on what you think about Lyndon Dykes. Hasn't got going at all from a goalscoring perspective for QPR but their fans seem to rate him.
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Graeme Sharp 12 caps

I often bring up himself, Martin and Rhodes among others as reference points when Irish fans automatically assume any eligible striker scoring 1 in 5 or 1 in 6 at Championship level will adjust to Intl football.

If you're not gone yet, fill us in on what you think about Lyndon Dykes. Hasn't got going at all from a goalscoring perspective for QPR but their fans seem to rate him.

Aye, McCormack, Rhodes and Martin were all very capable Championship players. No arguments there, they could score plenty of goals in that league. When they were thrown into international football though, they just were so far away from the standard required.

I do remember McCormack in fairness trying really hard on the pitch when Strachan gave him several games to show what he could do. That said, it was painfully clear to see that McCormack was so out of his depth at international level and could not be relied upon.

With regards to Lyndon Dykes. I am so glad that he chose us over Australia (his parents were Scottish immigrants) because he is exactly what we've been crying out for for years - a strong target man who can actually control the ball and can stand his ground against physical defenders. His physical and tenacious style has also really made a favourite with the fans. 

Now, I won't bullsh*t you about Dykes being a great player, he clearly is not. However he does the basic stuff well enough and the task he's entrusted with at international level is a straightforward one - win the ball, hold it up as long as he can, give it to Ryan Fraser or Ryan Christie or get a shot away himself. So far he's done a good job at that. He fits our style of play very well and is pretty much a key player now.

Interestingly, Dykes, who once played for a club in Australia called "Surfers Paradise Apollo" and who only turned professional at twenty years old already has a better international record (seven caps, two goals, two assists) than £17,500,000 man Oli McBurnie (fifteen caps, zero goals, zero assists). 

Looking in Australia for players amongst the huge Irish diaspora there might actually be an idea worth trying for Stephen Kenny ?

Anyway take care YBIG Wink (and thanks BSM, Denis Irwin, McG for your best wishes)
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 11:28pm
Oli McBurnie is an awful player. From looking at Scotland's lineups recently the their team has so many better players than ours and tbh it's been that way for some time
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 9:00am
Ray Stewart - 10 caps from '81 - '87

"Tonka" a West Ham legend.
AS YOU WERE McGx

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 8:12pm
After saying a couple of weeks ago that I wouldn't be back on for a while I only just got told yesterday to do a wee spot of isolation as a precaution. Ermm

Bored with nothing to do I stumbled upon these games which I'd forgotten about .

Anyone remember the Scotland vs Ireland "B" internationals from 2006 and 2007 ?

14/11/2006 (Dalymount Park, Dublin)
Ireland "B" 0
Scotland "B" 0

Ireland: Randolph (Quiqley 86), Foley, McCarthy, Bruce (O'Cearuill 51), Emmanuel, Gamble (Cork City), McPhail (Potter 46), Gibson (Frecklington 51), O'Brien (S Hunt 44), Keogh (Long 77), O'Donovan (Stokes 51).

Scotland: Gallacher (M Brown 46), Whittaker, Smith (Adam 60), Broadfoot (Greer 54), Webster, Stewart, Naismith, S Brown (L Miller 54) , Pearson, Boyd, Clark (McEveley 60).

20/11/2007 (Excelsior Stadium, Airdrie)
Scotland "B" 1 (Howard)
Ireland "B" 1 (Byrne)

Scotland: Smith, McNaughton, Armstrong, Berra, Dods (Collins 46), Stewart (Broadfoot 72), Whittaker (McCormack 68), Thomson (Adam 46), Iwelumo (Fletcher 60), Howard, Wallace.
Subs Not Used: Samson.

Ireland: Colin Doyle (Connor 81), Goodwin, Dillon, Bruce, Gartland (Bennett 80), Whelan (Byrne 30), Walters (Bell 62), Michael Doyle, Hunt (Yeates 53), O'Donovan (Ward 53), Hoolahan.

Sent Off: Goodwin (89). 
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 10:33am

After saying a couple of weeks ago that I wouldn't be back on for a while I only just got told yesterday to do a wee spot of isolation as a precaution. Ermm

Bored with nothing to do I stumbled upon these games which I'd forgotten about .

Anyone remember the Scotland vs Ireland "B" internationals from 2006 and 2007 ?

14/11/2006 (Dalymount Park, Dublin)
Ireland "B" 0
Scotland "B" 0

Ireland: Randolph (Quiqley 86), Foley, McCarthy, Bruce (O'Cearuill 51), Emmanuel, Gamble (Cork City), McPhail (Potter 46), Gibson (Frecklington 51), O'Brien (S Hunt 44), Keogh (Long 77), O'Donovan (Stokes 51).

Scotland: Gallacher (M Brown 46), Whittaker, Smith (Adam 60), Broadfoot (Greer 54), Webster, Stewart, Naismith, S Brown (L Miller 54) , Pearson, Boyd, Clark (McEveley 60).

20/11/2007 (Excelsior Stadium, Airdrie)
Scotland "B" 1 (Howard)
Ireland "B" 1 (Byrne)

Scotland: Smith, McNaughton, Armstrong, Berra, Dods (Collins 46), Stewart (Broadfoot 72), Whittaker (McCormack 68), Thomson (Adam 46), Iwelumo (Fletcher 60), Howard, Wallace.
Subs Not Used: Samson.

Ireland: Colin Doyle (Connor 81), Goodwin, Dillon, Bruce, Gartland (Bennett 80), Whelan (Byrne 30), Walters (Bell 62), Michael Doyle, Hunt (Yeates 53), O'Donovan (Ward 53), Hoolahan.

Sent Off: Goodwin (89). 

I was at both games.  The Dalymount game was pretty poor from what I can recall.  We should have won in Airdrie.  We were much the better team and caught with a late equaliser.  
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 12:09am
I wish an eligible player of Scott McTominay's ability would declare for us. Surely he was good enough to play for England.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 3:13pm
Steve Clarke - 6 caps

1987 - 3 caps
1988 - 2 caps

1994 - 1 cap
AS YOU WERE McGx

BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 3:18pm
Craig Brown was on OTB last night. Very enjoyable 
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Craig Brown was on OTB last night. Very enjoyable 
If you get a chance have a watch of Craig Browns 1998 World Cup Diary, Some very funny stuff in it, he can across like a very enthusiastic school games teacher. Some of players were very dismissive of him.The part when Tony Blair came a calling was cringe central.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 9:17pm
Not sure if he’s already been mentioned but John McGovern, twice winning European cup winner, league winner…. 

Not a single cap Confused
AS YOU WERE McGx

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 4:09am
Listened to that being mentioned recently on Quickly Kevin. IIRC did the manager not realise he was eligible? You'd think himself or one of the team would have mentioned it LOL
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 10:28am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Listened to that being mentioned recently on Quickly Kevin. IIRC did the manager not realise he was eligible? You'd think himself or one of the team would have mentioned it LOL

That's a myth.

McGovern himself has said a few years ago that Willie Ormond called him up a couple of times but Clough immediately withdrew him. McGovern thinks the SFA wrongly got the idea that he (McGovern) was at it and never called him up again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
  Share Topic