You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Liam Miller

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 171819
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by The Big Toe Area The Big Toe Area wrote:

Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

Great game of hurling held in croker today watched by over 55,000 Irish bigots. Typical Grab All Association playing for the draw.
Next up we have cork v limerick tomorrow which should be watched by about 75,000 bigots. 

New rules were brought in to try and avoid replays, but carry on with your ignorant nonsense. Good lad.

Haha I was mocking pm with my post. Personal I like all sports including the gaa. Some game of hurling yet again today. Tickets were €30 or €40. That's another area the grab all FAI need to work on. Charging ridiculous prices to our ireland matches. Other nations Fa's regularly put ours to shame with their fairer pricing. 
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 11:42pm
Were ya? You can surely do better than that!?
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

The GAA if they had any grace or dignity would allow the match to go ahead without pre-conditions or ''what's in it for us'' mentality.

How much of the proceeds will go to GAA players?   Why could  they not arrange their own day for another time?  This day should be about Liam Miller and Liam Miller only.  The GAA if they were so kind hearted, have never held big fundraisers for their players before to my knowledge. Why now?  So now they want to take a portion of a dead football players money to make sure it goes to true gaels.  They are an absolute disgrace and had to be shamed into it in front of the national media for nigh on 10 days to allow it to go ahead with a grudge.  Even their statement is David Brent-esque.  ''The Miller family would like to thank the GAA''.

As for the pitch markings, how is that going to work?  How can you turn a GAA pitch into a football pitch in 20 mins without it looking ridiculous?  It takes time to wash lines off and repaint a pitch.

Whether anyone agrees or not, and certainly most people think this decision is merely bringing the GAA into the last century (only one more to go), it is still something of a seismic change in attitude from them, and that has to also be taken into account. If the stipulations are that some part of the event has to be GAA related, so be it. If the Miller family & organising committee are happy with the outcome, that is surely the main thing, whatever anyone else thinks on the subject is somewhat irrelevant. 

As I already pointed out in this thread, the GAA do hold such events all the time, but very few of them would involve someone with the profile of Liam Miller, so they aren't national events or events the national media generally cares about, or held in county stadia. 

The GAA president has indicated this will be a subject for congress to further debate on next year, where you will see all the Nordie counties voting no to any progressive development that might arise from such debate. The GAA element of this event is basically pre-empting those objections and is a form of appeasement to the die hards that still populate the upper echelons of the organisation, not ordinary members, nor even the organisation itself. 

What people seem to forget is that the ruling class of the GAA is somewhat isolated from reality, a bit like politicians, and those die hard true gael type views are not necessarily that of the organisation as a whole, and certainly very few individual members. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 11:53pm
That nonsense is still their though Deise, at local level as much as top brass. I'm not saying every single committee (with an extra syllable) thinks that way, but a lot that do hold influence in local clubs. That certainly how it is in my hometown and I highly doubt that Clon is some sort of mad outlier for Gaelic supremacy.
The move must be congratulated, as you say, as a step into the twentieth century for the top brass, but the way it has been put, spun in a manner of their sister organisation Fianna Fáil, as some sort of marvellous GAA generosity and being used as a PR exercise is a little bit galling.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 12:09am
The GAA rule 42 (or whatever rule it is that bans foreign games) is xenophobia plain and simple.  Absolutely mortifying that an organisation would have a rule like that in this day and age.  Allowing the game to go ahead (begrudgingly) is like congratulating the Protestant state for a protestant people for allowing a catholic to have a decent job back in 1965.

If the GAA  thinks allowing football, rugby, cricket, kabaddi to be played (periodically) on their pitches in times of desperate measure will lead to the abandonment en masse of its games by young fellas to take up them across the water sports then that would merely prove GAA isn't as good a sport as some think it is if it cant stand up to a bit healthy competition.  Any association that feels it is so fragile that it has to ring fence their stadiums from outside influence is in a sad state of affairs.

They don't like to criticise themselves but the GAA are the best in the world at self congratulations and patting themselves on the back.

Played a Gaelic football inter schools match years back and a lad on our team got sent off for attempting a bicycle kick.  Not an isolated incident, and went a ways to putting me off GAA.

Edited by Trap junior - 30 Jul 2018 at 12:25am
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 12:36am
I certainly don't think they should be applauded or seeking praise for making a common sense decision. I probably wasn't clear there referring to the upper echelons of the GAA, I would certainly include club officers in that (not every club obviously)- a lot of them would share the same out dated views as the lads in CP, but CP are effectively the government to the County Board's county council, who are made up of club officers in the main, so that isn't surprising really. 

The reason these lads are elected in the first place has more to do with free time, organisational ability, logistics, book keeping etc than holding any particular view on ''foreign games'' , so even if their view on said games is well known and disagreed with, all the other stuff tens to out weigh that come club AGM time. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
The Big Toe Area View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Big Toe Area Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 7:55am

Great game of hurling held in croker today watched by over 55,000 Irish bigots. Typical Grab All Association playing for the draw.
Next up we have cork v limerick tomorrow which should be watched by about 75,000 bigots. 

New rules were brought in to try and avoid replays, but carry on with your ignorant nonsense. Good lad.

Haha I was mocking pm with my post. Personal I like all sports including the gaa. Some game of hurling yet again today. Tickets were €30 or €40. That's another area the grab all FAI need to work on. Charging ridiculous prices to our ireland matches. Other nations Fa's regularly put ours to shame with their fairer pricing. 

You obviously did a good job then Embarrassed

The funny thing about the lads giving the GAA such a hard time, is that in many rural areas (and I presume urban) GAA clubs getting themselves AstroTurf pitches has been a godsend for getting football played regularly. 
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 11:26am

You obviously did a good job then Embarrassed

The funny thing about the lads giving the GAA such a hard time, is that in many rural areas (and I presume urban) GAA clubs getting themselves AstroTurf pitches has been a godsend for getting football played regularly. 

I too know of a club near me that let the local soccer club use their astro pitches regularly for training. Nobody bat's an eyelid. The view of top brass who enforce the rules is definitely not reflected at grassroots. 
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 6:24am
Three ago years today since his passing.

RIP.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 7:39am
Same age as myself when he passed away. So sad. He’d have been 40 this week too. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 10:10am
Still desperately sad.
Dug up this one with his goal in it...tremendous stuff Clap

Edited by Fozz - 09 Feb 2021 at 8:01pm
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 10:17am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Same age as myself when he passed away. So sad. He’d have been 40 this week too. 
Was thinking that this morning too when I saw it mentioned. A very sobering thought. However bad you might feel about this whole lockdown and its consequences, at least still here to enjoy life and family and friends. 
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 7:37pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 2:20pm
Can't believe it's five years ago yesterday since the passing of Liam.

RIP.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2024 at 9:55am

RIP Liam.
Darren View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2024 at 1:00pm
RIP Liam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 171819
  Share Topic