You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trouble in Block D2 last night.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 10:31am
There was also a letter sent into the Indo by a Danish man who went to the game with his family and he had nothing but good to say about Irish fans. I suppose one mans meat and all that.

I didn't see too much but I did see the pints going up in the air at the end and there was also a coupleof lads ready to have a go off each other but their friends quietened the main culprit down. There will always be drunk lads at games and most of us have been there at some stage over the years. I know I've been at a couple of games where I was notable to stand up straight but thankfully I don't do shots or spirits anymore. While I would argue that we should be able to drinks pints inside a ground I'm beginning to think that maybe bars should shut 10 mins after the game has started. We had a couple of drinks spilled over us by lads but it probably didn't help that we were standing atthe barrier just inside the entrance.

There were plenty of drunks alright and I had one lad in me ear shouting continuously 'blow it up ref, blow it up ya bollicks' this continued untill I told him FFS lad there's only 19 minutes gone!

The beer I wouldn't be too worried about with most lads. I'm sure there always was and will be lads who are trouble with booze in them but the powder is a different story. It makes lads more ballsy and aggressive so that combined with pints and shots is a recipe for craziness.

Like others we tend to stay away from the big mad bars etc more because we're older and can't be arsed being bumped and having drink spilled etc etc so don't tend to see that much aggro.

On the match atmosphere, it was brutal. We had a bodhran up the back and bar a few lads around us it was like getting blood from a stone. Just no energy in the crowd at all. I honestly thought we'd have had an atmosphere similar to Wales but that was way off the mark.

I suppose the bottom line is that Irish support comes from across society so there's always going to be a percentage of dickheads however like others have said there does seem to be a lot more of the 'stag' type groups travelling now and I doubt that's just down to ticket allocation. There were a few in Georgia and Moldova.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Sponsored Links

OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 10:43am
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

There was also a letter sent into the Indo by a Danish man who went to the game with his family and he had nothing but good to say about Irish fans. I suppose one mans meat and all that.

I didn't see too much but I did see the pints going up in the air at the end and there was also a coupleof lads ready to have a go off each other but their friends quietened the main culprit down. There will always be drunk lads at games and most of us have been there at some stage over the years. I know I've been at a couple of games where I was notable to stand up straight but thankfully I don't do shots or spirits anymore. While I would argue that we should be able to drinks pints inside a ground I'm beginning to think that maybe bars should shut 10 mins after the game has started. We had a couple of drinks spilled over us by lads but it probably didn't help that we were standing atthe barrier just inside the entrance.

There were plenty of drunks alright and I had one lad in me ear shouting continuously 'blow it up ref, blow it up ya bollicks' this continued untill I told him FFS lad there's only 19 minutes gone!

The beer I wouldn't be too worried about with most lads. I'm sure there always was and will be lads who are trouble with booze in them but the powder is a different story. It makes lads more ballsy and aggressive so that combined with pints and shots is a recipe for craziness.

Like others we tend to stay away from the big mad bars etc more because we're older and can't be arsed being bumped and having drink spilled etc etc so don't tend to see that much aggro.

On the match atmosphere, it was brutal. We had a bodhran up the back and bar a few lads around us it was like getting blood from a stone. Just no energy in the crowd at all. I honestly thought we'd have had an atmosphere similar to Wales but that was way off the mark.

I suppose the bottom line is that Irish support comes from across society so there's always going to be a percentage of dickheads however like others have said there does seem to be a lot more of the 'stag' type groups travelling now and I doubt that's just down to ticket allocation. There were a few in Georgia and Moldova.

This tends to be the same with the lads I go with. We Couldn't be bothered with crammedness or queues and generally drift into a good chat with fellow Irish or Away supporters and the odd song
LenBrennan View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LenBrennan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 10:44am
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

RedLad, fair paly on the Bodhran, I was 2 rows in front of you and was trying to drum up a bit of noise with you. I previously posted about negative incidents and ye this is bollix but more worrying is the lack of atmosphere, there was a percentage of gobsh*tes there but still the genuine supporters should have massively outweighed this. I urged people to remember, it is a football match, not the cinema. I know Irealnd can be brutal to watch, but if you don't like it, give your ticket to a fan. If you go, you are committing to getting behind the team, I felt if the crowd had given them a little more of a lift, the players might have gone for it a bit more. Anyway, tonight, lets get behind them. Football isnt a TV show, get involved!!!
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 11:04am
It's much better and easier to talk to both Irish lads and the home supporters when you head into the smaller pubs. We had a great bit of craic in a local bar beside our hotel for a couple of hours before we headed off to meet the others.
Talking about the Bodhran at the game I had a fella come up to me to ask if I could lower it donw abit as it was obstructing his view. Ah Jaysus!
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic