You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Get your nicks and socks on! : The Coaches Room
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Damien Duff on coaching and kids parents

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Count Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Damien Duff on coaching and kids parents
    Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 12:32pm
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/damien-duff-fed-up-with-pain-in-the-arse-parents-at-rovers-1.3260803

LOLLOLLOLLOLClapClapClap

Damien Duff fed up with ‘pain-in-the-arse parents’ at Rovers

Shamrock Rovers under-15s coach says pushy parents are harming kids development

John Fallon
Damien Duff says that early morning training sessions have been the best for his Shamrock Rovers under-15s team. Photo: Ryan Byrne/Inpho

Damien Duff says that early morning training sessions have been the best for his Shamrock Rovers under-15s team. Photo: Ryan Byrne/Inpho

Damien Duff has found dealing with pushy parents one of his biggest challenges since taking up his first managerial position at Shamrock Rovers.

At his own request, the former Ireland international was assigned the role of managing the club’s first entrants into the new national Under-15 league and the experience so far has been mixed.

He said: “I’ve really loved it and it’s given me something to focus on. There’s lot of work involved from setting up training sessions to dealing with pain-in-the-arse parents.

“A few of the parents have tried getting involved – saying ‘my little Johnny is this or that’ – but I just tell them to piss off. It doesn’t help the kids.”

Duff is also miffed that he’s received flak for introducing early-morning training sessions for his players before they go to school.

“Our best three sessions of the year have been the 6.30am ones. It’s the first time anyone has done it in this country but none of the players want to miss out so it has snowballed.

“Some cavemen in Ireland are giving me stick for getting them out of bed but it’s the best time to learn. I picked it up from my time in Melbourne. They are early risers in Australia.”

Sponsored Links

BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 1:24pm
Well I find him a pain in the arse in the telly
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 1:30pm
Talk about stating the bleeding obvious.

Saw him in action coaching ROI u15s in a trial match, I was analysing the opposition back 4.

Pep will not be shaking in his boots.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Row Z View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Row Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 1:40pm
He's not certainly not wrong. Says alot of the parents when they're questioning someone like him, imagine the grief the regular joe soap coaches get!!
"Just put it up there..."
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Row Z Row Z wrote:

He's not certainly not wrong. Says alot of the parents when they're questioning someone like him, imagine the grief the regular joe soap coaches get!!

Parents are politely asked to shut the f**k up at our club. You even get them at our academy training going mental at little johnny and its under 6's ffs.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 3:08pm
Do most clubs not have a parental form to sign and with that comes a behavior protocol, so that clubs can turn around to the over enthusiastic parents and tell them politely to cop on
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Do most clubs not have a parental form to sign and with that comes a behavior protocol, so that clubs can turn around to the over enthusiastic parents and tell them politely to cop on
FAI Code of Ethics for Parents is what we handed out previously.

We have crash barriers (kind you see in O'Connell St. on Paddies Day) positioned five yards from the sideline to keep parents back.

Some think they are great and use them for leaning on.

Others think they are ornamental and totally ignore them and there's only so many times that you can ask an idiot to move. And BTW the mothers are worse than the fathers. 
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic