You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buzz around the national team is back

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 9:22am
Leinster on average get about 15,000 or so on a Friday or Saturday in the RDS. That's a poor figure for a team that is  by and large successful professional outfit. Fair enough they have the odd game in the Aviva that gets 40k or so but that has nothing but marketing marketing marketing behind it. 

The combined attendance of Pats, Bohs, Rovers, UCD, Shels, Cabinteely on Friday would certainly nearly match the Leinster goys in the RDS. I'd consider this not bad for a damaged brand that is the League of Ireland and its zero marketing on a national scale. Leinster have bloody ads on Dublin Bus and all over national radio yet they can only get 15k for a Pro 12 league game at home. Behind the posts have loads of empty seats. 

Sponsored Links

tony grealish View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony grealish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 9:23am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Incorrect.

Perhaps it depends on who you speak to. But the obsession is weighted heavily in favour of football fans.

Hilarious and delusional as always, Hetters, on the subject of rogby fans and their prevailing attitudes towards football. You say this as if it's a statement of fact.LOL

My experience would be that the majority of the rogby fans I am acquainted with (and they are numerous) would have a sizeable chip on their collective shoulders about football in general and love nothing more than sl*gging the game off and comparing it unfavorably to their elitist minority sport. It's been done to death on here before but it is also notable that rogby pundits (Hook, Williams, Francis, Jackman...etc) are prone to publicly expressing their distaste for the authentically global sport that is football.

Maybe, Hetters old chap, you just happen to hang around with an incredibly sound and sportingly egalitarian bunch of rugger buggers. I f*cking doubt it though.
''I've had a rough night and I hate the f**kin eagles, man!!''
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 9:24am
There's a new series starting on RTE, 'Irelands greatest sporting moment' and that should give us an insight.

Packies save
Houghton v Italy
McAteer v Holland
Keane v Germany
Brady v Italy.

Also leaving out a few others but they will trump any 09 Grand Slam, Katie Taylor, Michael Curuth, Sonia O'Sullivan.
Yeah we'll get behind them at the time but won't have as much as an impact over the years.
The dark side.. And the light
Pubes View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pubes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 9:27am
Up 8 places in the rankings
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 9:43am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

The country pretty much shuts down when we qualify for a tournament. Can you imagine potentially next summer and first World Cup in 16 years!?it would be a step up agains from the Euros even.

And that is the difference. Ireland in the rugby World Cup doesn't even come close (although if it's held here in 2020 it will), GAA is obviously localised and other sports after that are too niche. (International) football is your only man for capturing the hearts and mind of the country. It even excites the non sports fan, the aul wans, the girlfriend, the brothers and mates who don't like sport for some reason but love cars, they all get involved (i won't classify these as being members of the bandwagon)

I'd say that rugby and GAA do that on more occasions than soccer to be honest, however I'd agree with the jist of your comments

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 16 Oct 2017 at 9:44am
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 9:51am
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

There's a new series starting on RTE, 'Irelands greatest sporting moment' and that should give us an insight.

Packies save
Houghton v Italy
McAteer v Holland
Keane v Germany
Brady v Italy.

Also leaving out a few others but they will trump any 09 Grand Slam, Katie Taylor, Michael Curuth, Sonia O'Sullivan.
Yeah we'll get behind them at the time but won't have as much as an impact over the years.

Sure how was Brady's a great sporting moment?! Sure that was a Mickey mouse Italian team who weren't bothered. I was actually pretty sullen when he scored.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 10:11am
Good man Tony! I suppose if you ignore the internal chip on the shoulder of many Irish football fans about club football, and the attitudes which are often commonplace here in relation to rugby, then perhaps I am delusional.

Edited by Het-field - 16 Oct 2017 at 10:16am
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 10:33am
Great to have a buzz around the team again, even the build up to the Serbia home match there was a great buzz around Dublin and I saw a journo tweet that nothing beats an all-important home qualifier for atmosphere build up. Nothing captures the imagination quite like the national football team doing well. 

I'm a big fan of rugby and GAA but only Donegal winning the All-Ireland comes close to any of my sporting experiences following the football team. 
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 8:10pm
I follow both sports but the football will always be number 1.

Nothing beats the buzz of us qualifying for a major tournamnet. The country will come to a standstill if we're in Russia.

No camprison to the RWC.
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:35am
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Packies save
Houghton v Italy
McAteer v Holland
Keane v Germany
Brady v Italy.

ireland is a mad football country...you can count on that...check the movie   THE VAN......sadly back then ireland was bad organized by the FAI...as  JOHN GILES  said  hundreds of times....
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:43am
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

I follow both sports but the football will always be number 1.

Nothing beats the buzz of us qualifying for a major tournamnet. The country will come to a standstill if we're in Russia.

No camprison to the RWC.

Of course there'd be a buzz if Ireland qualify for Russia. How could there ever be a buzz when qualification for the eggball WC is usually guaranteed?
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 10:03am
Originally posted by muscles muscles wrote:

It's obvious there's a great spirt and camaraderie in the squad
Is that the Italian boy ?

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Yes Trigger. That is the Italian boy.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

But was he not kidnapped by the gary gary gang ?
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Nah, this was the lad who used to play for Everton. Danny was his first name.

bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 2:55pm
Some amount of lads texting looking tickets for the return leg in the Aviva now
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 3:33pm
Certainly here in Cork 80% of the people who might go to Turner's Cross on a Friday would be just as likely to go watch the hurlers in Pairc Ui Caoimh or Thurles of a Sunday.  I reckon 70% would follow Munster in rugby too - but they'd be less likely to go to a rugby match admittedly (matches mostly in Limerick anyway).

I agree though that if you went to a Cork Con rugby match (hardcore club Rugby types) no more than10% present would ever go to Turner's Cross and most would probably turn their nose up at "soccer".

The struggle would be to find anyone who goes to gaelic football, god love them.  Our gaelic footballers get very little support from anywhere east of Wesht Cork.

All in all though I would sense Cork is a bit more ecumenical about sport than other cities where people just seem to have one sport.  If you go to Turners Cross tonight you will be likely to spot well known GAA and Rugby figures and I know on my kid's u-11 football team there are kids with dads who have Grand Slams and All Ireland medals.
niallmc View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niallmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Pubes Pubes wrote:

Up 8 places in the rankings

It's a start, and seems like things are getting better for the team, and the fans. There is a great buzz about the team, and when we get past the Danes, I think we should start getting full houses for all the matches.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic