You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Hurling 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 232425
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by LO SCIENZIATO LO SCIENZIATO wrote:

Bit off topic but was down in the local on Sunday night and Eir were showing the 1983 final between Cork and Kilkenny. before the ball was thrown in, all the auld lads piped up at the bar saying this was one of the greatest all Ireland finals. 

anyway about 15 min and it was pure horse dung. hurling was slow, players were not fit, keepers were truly awful and the amount of needless ground hurling was ridiculous. I absolutely hate ground hurling with a passion anyway as it needlessly gives control of possession away 20/30/40 etc. yards down the pitch and it creates a 50/50 chance of the ball coming back down the field when the player could have easily got himself over the ball, gain possession and get the head up and give a pass or else take the man on and then strike to where the ground strike would have gone but in turn creating a 80/20 or 70/30 chance of possession. 

so anyway, at half time in the game I started the conversation about how bad the standard was. I compared it an higher Junior to lower intermediate standard but yet most fellas over 55 (their era of hurling) said it was better than the modern game. laughter amongst everyone else ensued. 

It did get me thinking though about this year’s hurling championship and the level the modern game is at. fitness, skill and speed must be at its highest ever and 2018 for me was the greatest Hurling championship of all time.

Each to their own i suppose. Personally i think the Hurling from around 1990-2002 was the best style I've seen yet! Also like ground Hurling aswell. Wouldn't be a huge fan of the way the game is gone today it's getting to be very structured. The 90's were the best for the ball just flying up and down the field atmosphere was a lot better aswell and much better characters playing the game than we have today

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 18 Dec 2018 at 5:46pm
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 4:34am
Yeah unlike the football hurling is evolving in the right direction. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 7:18am
Football is still a great game which is in danger of being ruined by badly thought out new rules.
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 9:36pm
Watching the hurling semi’s from last year. I was at all 3 and have to say that i’ve Never witnessed such sporting drama in the space of a week. Battles of attrition from start to finish in every one of them. ET included. Couldn’t see 2019 bettering those semi finals. We’re blessed with the hurling at the moment with so many teams who believe they can win it each year.

Edited by reddladd - 02 Jan 2019 at 9:39pm
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 232425
  Share Topic